Los Angeles EU listening party details!

Started by magicmarker, May 15, 2008, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicmarker

OK! The details are confirmed for my Los Angeles area advance listening party for MMJ's "Evil Urges"...

It will be on Sunday, May 25th @6pm to 8pm at:

The Shortstop Bar
1455 Sunset Blvd.
Echo Park, CA 90026
213-482-4942

Spread the word and I'll see you there!  ;)

Cheers-
Mark
Music is the universal language!

ms. yvon

thanks for handling the logistics and hosting this soiree, mark!

the shortstop is a legendary place.  i've wanted to check it out!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

vespachick

Y'all better keep it cool; isn't that the LAPD hang?  Perhaps I'm mis-remembering.  But anyway....Mmmm, mustaches, badges and swaggering!  Sounds like a partay!!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ms. yvon

and that's just me!

it's close to dodger stadium, so it's also a baseball hangout.

this could be the year of the oversized foam novelty flying-v!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

mjkoehler

this could be the year of the oversized foam novelty flying-v!
That's solid gold baby.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

magicmarker

ha! y'all are good...  :D

the shortstop is definitely a dodger bar, but not in a lame loud sports bar kind of way...  and it used to be a cop bar a while ago, but the rampart police drug scandal ended all that... some cops who were regulars there got busted selling drugs that were supposed to be saved as evidence from drug busts, in the back room, I believe... not cool!   some friends of mine bought the place in 2000 and turned it into my favorite bar in LA...  they saved the gun lockers on the wall near the bar where the cops used to have to lock up their guns while drinking!  i have the key to one of them! haha...   the place is nice and dark with cool wood paneling, loud music (both on the great jukebox & dj's a-plenty), good beer & booze selection, pool table, pinball, video games, a photo booth and lots of fun and hip dancing people...  and they kept some of the police & dodgers memorabilia on the walls to keep the old time vibe too...  :)

anyway, it should be fun, so spread the word, bring friends and we'll have a good time.  be sure to say hello to me too... I'll be the guy with the beard playing the new MMJ record!

cheers-
mark

ms. yvon

so, i'll have to lock up my piece while in the bar?

tough to dance when swinging that giant hammer, anyway.   ;)

WOOO!

i'll try to bring some peeps.  i've had a few people ask me about the band recently.  must have something to do with the mmj sandwich board i've been wearing around the neighborhood.

mark, only some of this is true, btw.

see you next weekend!  *lacing up dancing shoes*

tonight:  heading to the echo to see american music club!   :D :D

ms. yvon

was online at the greek theatre for mmj tix this morning.  told everyone who were buying mmj tix about the listening party.

ALL of them recognized the name of the shortstop.

hooray!

magicmarker

nice work on the MMJ party promotion front!  I didn't get tix for the greek yet cuz I might be out of town that week... we'll see.

yeah, the shorty is my favorite bar in LA... a popular spot!

how was the amc show?

ms. yvon

boy howdy, they sounded fantastic!  mark eitzel still has pipes, man.  damn!  you know the echo?  it's tiny, and was not too full.  still, the crowd was enthusiastic.

i missed about 1/3 of the show b/c i worked late.  much in the same way i am missing M83 right now.  sigh.   :P

just now occurring to me:  LONG WEEKEND AHEAD WITH EU LISTENING PARTY SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF IT!!

FUCK
YES!

magicmarker

yeah, I've played some shows at the echo actually (I'm a drummer), and they've improved the sound there a great deal lately... good venue now!

did you hear M83 perform live on KCRW 89.9fm yesterday morning? the show is archived here if not: http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb080519m83

here's a show MMJ did on that show too back in '05: http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb051110my_morning_jacket

looking forward to the listening party too! in addition, one of my good friends (who's one of the owners of the shortstop) is having his big b-day party the night before at his house in silverlake, so it's going to be a FUN weekend!  ;)

ms. yvon

after the listening party last night went for some grub at the pho cafe up the street.  i was trying to read while eating, but kept hearing songs from the record in my head.   ;D

WHAT A GREAT TIME!

thanks again for hooking up the party at such a fitting place, magic-m!

i counted 4 unsuspecting people caught up in the groovy tunes:  the couple who got up to dance (which song was that?), the woman grooving along by the bar who'd just come from a dodgers game, and the dude who was at the bar, recognized the music and came in to listen to the record.  fantastic!

last summer the stereo was stolen from my car.  i may have to replace the cd player when this album comes out.  [smiley=wink.gif]

sweet jesus, the album sounds so GOOD!   LOVE the mix.  damn.  
i'm gonna be listening to that npr austin show for the next two weeks.   ;D

magicmarker

you're welcome and thanks for helping make it fun...  :)

I think we turned on a few new people to MMJ for sure!

And yes, the new record sounds SO great! I've listened to it like 12 times already...  ;)

rock on!
mm

gruvlicius

The board finally let me sign in!  
I had a great time at the listening party...thanks so much Mark!  Yvonne, I live across the street from that Pho place.  We shoulda convinced Mark to bring the album to my place, and gotten Pho to-go!  Damn, missed opportunity!
Hope to see you all soon.  Maybe that Fleet Foxes show at Spaceland?  
**Lauren**

ms. yvon

ha!

i'll check the date on fleet foxes.  june, right?

GREAT user name!   *dancing*

gundy

Curses!!! Wish we were able to make the listening party... guess we'll have to wait for the release then!