I know this topic has already been brought up...

Started by Fat_Old_Sun, Nov 14, 2005, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzcarraldo

Hey Fat, if you are going to keep posting shit like this(& the ridiculous are you fuckin kidding me 'musical ability' thread) can you please spell the man's name correctly.  :-/

ycartrob

Quotei dont want yall to miss the point im trying to say... i love their music with or without the use of drugs.. the only reason i would wonder is to basically know what kindof guys they are

What kind of guys are they? I remember posing this question to my wife, several years back, and her response was golden.

My question (which is more important than the whole drug thing):

Does Jim wear tighty whiteys or boxers?

Her response:  Neither, he's a free baller.

ratsprayer

my friend thinks jim has no balls at all because of the high notes he can hit.  

Drew

Back before they were headlining I saw them open for ZZ Top.  I specifically went to see The Black Crowes.  They came out played an extremely short set, like 15 minutes or less, then got the hell out of dodge.  We were extremely disappointed to say the least.  The story was that they were tipped off that they were going to be busted by the locals when they finished their set.  When they found out, they stopped playing, got their crap and headed immediately across the river to IN to avoid getting busted.  They had never been back to Louisville until earlier this year when touring as Mr. Crowe's Garden.  The point of mentioning this was to show bands being open about their habits can indeed bring on the heat.

Fair enough, but are you sure that's the show you're talking about, and not this headline show from 1993. Here's the story:
The Crowes problems with concert security personnel followed them to Louisville, KY recently when their show was aborted after an altercation between undercover narcotics officers and two members of the band's crew.

The last chords of No Speak No Slave, the first song of the set, were still ringing when Rich Robinson noticed a scuffle to the right of the stage. The lights went down for several minutes, then Chris Robinson returned to the microphone and announced that police had "beaten up a friend of the band." The band left the stage and did not return.

The fracas began when the two undercover officers from the Louisville Metro Narcotics Division were confronted backstage by Raoul Flores, head of the Black Crowes security, for not having proper backstage passes. Police said the officers were then assaulted by Kevin Wegman, head of the Black Crowes merchandising, and the band contends that it was the police that initiated the attack. Flores and Wegman were charged with fourth degree assault and resisting arrest. Wegman was reportedly covered in blood and taken by ambulance to the local hospital. They were later released on bail, and Wegman's injuries were brushed over in local news coverage.

Lt. Dale Liechty of Metro Narcotics acknowledged that the Black Crowes were not involved in any illegal activity, nor did they possess drugs. Contrary to normal procedure, the undercover officers failed to inform the Black Crowes security that they would require back stage passes. "This is a situation where Flores was just doing his job" said the Black Crowes attorney Bart Adams. "For all anyone knew, these three men could have been on some drug or carrying weapons, presenting a very dangerous situation for the band and their entourage."

Although the band was encouraged to continue the show, they refused and left the arena shortly thereafter but not before wreaking havoc to their dressing room. The audience, which numbered 4,500 were left waiting for nearly an hour before the promoter announced the show had been cancelled, leaving police fearful of a riot.

The crowd left peaceably, although 30 were arrested on marijuana and cocaine charges and one man was arrested after police said he attacked a security guard.

Later that night in his hotel room, Chris expressed his concern for his friends and outrage over what he considered an abuse of authority. "You don't beat a fellow human being into submission over ID badges," he said. When asked why the band did not continue the show, Robinson could only reply " At that point all the rules and etiquette were thrown out the window. It just stopped being what the Black Crowes are all about."

By Scott Robinson, edited from Rolling Stone, 03-14-94.

By Wayne Bledsow, edited from Knoxville News Sentinal, Sunday, 03-14/93.

free baller?  nice...

is there a dead horse around here somewhere that we can all beat?

tdan

Fair enough, but are you sure that's the show you're talking about, and not this headline show from 1993. Here's the story:

No, this definitely was not the show I was talking about.  I was still in high school for the show I attended.  As a matter of fact they were kicked off of the tour a few dates after the Louisville show because they kept dissing the tour's sponsor, Budweiser.  Each night at the start of the show they would tell the audience that their show was brought to you by the Black Crowes and no one else as they stood in front of a gigantic Budweiser banner.  

Anyways, I was not aware that they had ever been back since that show.  I cannot believe I missed it, but given what happened, I am glad that I did.  I wonder if the cops were hassling them over what had happened at the ZZ Top show?

Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end