The Stay Strong Until June 10 Thread

Started by mylifeisought, Apr 20, 2008, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseydog

Since the moment the NPR broadcast from SXSW became available, I've listened to the show proably 20 times.  When the album was leaked, I did pick up a copy but before I ever listened to it I made a presale purchase at Amazon.com

I haven't been here much, but this will become a more permanent home (away from the Lollapalooza and Bonnaroo message boards).

I've been going to concerts since 1979 (Supertramp), have seen 40+ Grateful Dead shows, and over the past four years have come to a decision that MMJ is the best band that I have ever heard/seen.  I don't know if that makes me their #1 fan, but I would call myself "fullly committed".  Heading down to L-ville with my wife and 4 year old daughter for a family weekend and an MMJ diversion in August.  I don't know if I can wait that long.

weeniebeenie

I've been going to concerts since 1979 (Supertramp), have seen 40+ Grateful Dead shows,

Awesome, I am really jealous now. ;)I love supertramp!
How loud can silence get?

Taterbug

I guess I'm old fashion,  I refuse to downlaod leaks. I can't justify in my own mind downloading a leak then saying I will buy it when it comes out. It's like robbing someone and then giving them a IOU.  I will roll the dice and wait, the band has been very gracious about releasing live versions of the new stuff.  And I likey alot :).
I also refuse to listen to someone else review something that has not been formally released.   Thats just me,
I don't think this is what Al Gore invisioned when he invented the Internets  :).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Remmi

who gives a shit about waiting? really? c'mon.

i waited on the last album, and looking back, it was pointless. just download the shit if you wanna hear it and buy it when comes out. i am. there's no way this leak is gonna sound as good as the official cd.

jesus, people. really.
Dieu et les Dames.

fitzcarraldo

jesus, people. really.

Hi Remmi. Apparently you didn't get the memo.  :-/  Have a nice day

Signed, Fan # 1,649,999  :P

ycartrob

jesus, people. really.

lay off remmi or he'll call you a name (seriously, he called me a dumb ass).

this guy ain't messing around ya'll. Watch yourself.

The DARK

jesus, people. really.

Sounds dangerous...
In another time, in another place, in another face

tomEisenbraun

Quotewho gives a shit about waiting? really? c'mon.

i waited on the last album, and looking back, it was pointless. just download the shit if you wanna hear it and buy it when comes out. i am. there's no way this leak is gonna sound as good as the official cd.

jesus, people. really.

you might consider taking things around here a little more lightly? if we've learned anything collectively as a board in the last week, I'd say that would be it?

If you lurk like you said you do in the other thread, I'd hope (and am sorry if) you saw the animosity that went down this last week over the leak. That said, there's a big divide over those who listened and those who haven't. All the moral ground for it has already been established elsewhere, so there's really no need to rehash it. But at this point, to still carry that around with a vengeance is a bit old. Is it still disheartening to see new people coming in posting about the leak? Sure. But it's not a giant maddening wave of people. That wasn't the best.

But honestly, there's really no need to stir old arguments up just for the sake of being angry about something. I am sure you can find a better way to oust pent-up frustration than that. Take the higher ground, man.

Peace.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

fitzcarraldo

Quote(Missed the memo!)

Hey Tom!  I meant the email from the band. I only posted cuz he dissed Tracy. I usually don't bother in these dramatics, but that was so unwarranted ...  Happy Friday!   :D

Said email from the band (posted again, and again)  :

hello all you fine and wonderful people out there that are interested in what we do. we now live in the 90's - the era of the interweb and instant gratification. these are confusing times for all humankind, but especially for those of us in the music world as you well know... a week or so ago we played some of our new songs for the first time at a show in houston tx! about an hour later all of those songs were available on the interweb- talk about speed!!! since those and other non-album audiovisual recordings are available to people on the interweb, we wanted to make at least one "real" song version available (if one was interested in what the "real actual studio album" might sound like) to those of you who have supported us most and have seemed most excited about what we are doing over the years.

so here is the song "evil urges". we sure hope you are to enjoy it! we would put the whole thing out there on the interweb, but gosh darn-it, we're still a little old fashioned in that way of wanting the listener to be able to get the actual music when it is supposed to be released, when we say it is finished- not when someone else puts it on the interweb.... but it is the 90's now, we understand that. its a new decade and we want to be part of this decade, but whilst still maintaining a link to the past - where one can't necessarily get everything they want immediately when they want it, but rather when they are told they can have it - by their real life keeper or their digital daddy! we will play both roles here. we all personally relish waiting to unwrap that shrink wrap and smelling that fresh vinyl or compact disc plastic, mmm...that fresh cardboard and paper. or if we buy it off the interweb we all love holding our computers up to our noses and smelling those brand new digital downloads...mmm...fresh! gall durn it- we're just old fashioned that way. sometimes... gentle reader, in this age of instant gratification, waiting can be so rewarding, it can teach us a valuable lesson about the triumph of the human spirit... but sometimes, like our old friend tom petty said- waiting is the hardest part. thank you all for being so supportive of us, and unending in your love... from the bottom of our cold dead hearts!

love,
mmj!    

ms. yvon

jesus, people. really.

;D

murph, could you give us a flair count, please?
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

easy jim

Hi my name's Chet and I'm often tempted, seldom swayed.

I thought that everything would be easy if I just didn't go searching for it but many of my friends keep sending me the link to the download.  It's only a click away but I know, I KNOW I can wait.  

I think?

So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

Angry Ewok

jesus, people. really.

Sounds dangerous...

Sounds familiar, if you ask me...

:-/
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

QuoteHi my name's Chet and I'm often tempted, seldom swayed.

I thought that everything would be easy if I just didn't go searching for it but many of my friends keep sending me the link to the download.  It's only a click away but I know, I KNOW I can wait.  

I think?

Stay strong! You'll feel so much better when you buy the album and hear the real, crisp, beautiful thing for the first time. I'd much rather be totally immersed an album (the kind of stuff you always call back to when telling people how great it was to hear it for the first time), than have to disregard glitchy sounding stuff because the sound quality is shite.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

moflojo

I have yet to listen to evil urges even though I have it at my fingertips, I have remained strong. Espicially after reading the statement released by the band about them being 'old fashioned' and not wanting listeners to have it until they say so. MMJ does so much for their fans that I really want to respect their take on this. and...

I read the radiohead article from rolling stone about how they ditched the record industry with the IN RAINBOWS download. When Thom  was asked about it, he said something along these lines about past albums that leaked: "theres a compliment there, the fact that people want to get ahold of what youve done. but if its not the difinitive version, if the ends are chopped off, if you havent made the choice to do it yourself, its a bit unfair. Bad karma. So it felt liberating to take complete control."

That Bad Karma line is really getting to me.   But I do have this one question: If MMJ or their label or whoever is in charge didnt want Evil Urges to leak, than why did they send it to press/media/radio so early. Obviously someone within the media or record label is the one leaking it. Are they really expected to and trustworthy enough not to make it available to a much wider array of people outside their industry?

So with that thought I kinda do wanna listen very badly to it. Why media first? why not true and all fans as well as media, at the same time.

I still have not listened to it, but i may need further convincing and perhaps this questioned discussed/answered. Gimmie some feed back.

Still holdin strong...

BH

It does seem like it should work just fine to have the media listen at the same time as the fans.  I mean, the super fans like us are going to buy it on the first day it comes out anyway, the media can then convince everyone else that needs convincing to buy it or not buy it after that.   I realize that is simplifying it a bit, but if that's what it takes to keep it from leaking, then I think it could work.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Damn, I hope the album gets released early.  I'm starting to worry about getting hit by a bus.   I can just see myself on my death bed....

Mom:  "Wait, I think he's trying to signal us somehow with his eyes.  OK, Dave, if you can hear me, blink once for yes, and two for no."

Four hundered and eighty seven yes or no questions later.....

Mom: So, you want us to download evil urges illegally, put it on your headphones, change your drip bag to a nice Cabernet and turn out the lights?

;)  (YES! YES! YES! YES!)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

QuoteDamn, I hope the album gets released early.  I'm starting to worry about getting hit by a bus.   I can just see myself on my death bed....

Mom:  "Wait, I think he's trying to signal us somehow with his eyes.  OK, Dave, if you can hear me, blink once for yes, and two for no."

Mom: So, you want us to download evil urges illegally, put it on your headphones, change your drip bag to a nice Cabernet and turn out the lights?

If you pass on before June 10th, I will happily play Evil Urges at your graveside. Just let me know if you die and I'll make it happen...

sweatboard

QuoteDamn, I hope the album gets released early.  I'm starting to worry about getting hit by a bus.   I can just see myself on my death bed....

;D

Classic!
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

If you pass on before June 10th, I will happily play Evil Urges at your graveside. Just let me know if you die and I'll make it happen...

I'll play it at your graveside, but if you die tomorrow, I'm still going to have to wait until June 10th.  I'm not about to desecrate your graveside with a crappy mp3 version, if you can't even smell the liner notes.
There's Still Time.........