Main Menu

the SOUNDSZZ

Started by Bam_Bam, Jun 20, 2008, 10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bam_Bam

So i've been listened to the new album a couple times now and i think it's alright. My biggest issue though is the production style that was brought in. For example Touch Me part I. I think it's a really cool song, especially when the vocals first come in and blossom. This song could've been really really great but the drums just sound like shit. I hate how compressed and unreal they sound. That's the case with a couple of other songs on this cd. They don't sound BIG enough which is a shame to me because his drums should sound huge...instead they're compressed to hell. How do you like what Joe Chiccarelli brought to this album?
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

bluntmaster

why don't you ask him nosey

mjkoehler

Hey Rob!

Maybe I'm missing something, but the drums sound fine to me. I'm not hearing them buried in the mix. The bass from the drums on the whole thing are f'n with my eardrums.

Again maybe its just me.  :-/

mymonkeyfriend

couldnt agree more, i put this on an earlier post. pat sounds held back in a few songs. sec walkin, TMIGTS 1 and 2, and highly susp. these all sound badass live, and its because pat sounds like a stud.

Bam_Bam

Quotewhy don't you ask him nosey

I don't know who your talking about....

QuoteHey Rob!

Maybe I'm missing something, but the drums sound fine to me. I'm not hearing them buried in the mix. The bass from the drums on the whole thing are f'n with my eardrums.

Again maybe its just me.

It's not that they're buried in the mix but the sound of them. They have been compressed so much. In all their earlier CD's they've had  really natural sounding drums. The drums on EU sound more like the Strokes than MMJ. It makes the drums sound weak to me.

bluntmaster

BAM BAM EAT COOKIES BAM BAM GO POO POO

Bam_Bam

bluntmaster

finally someone's being honest on here.

Bam_Bam

The drums sound really electronic on touch me i'm going to screams. it's too bad. i like the song. but what happened to MMJ creating space in their songs?

mjkoehler

QuoteIt's not that they're buried in the mix but the sound of them. They have been compressed so much. In all their earlier CD's they've had  really natural sounding drums. The drums on EU sound more like the Strokes than MMJ. It makes the drums sound weak to me.
I see what you are saying now. ehhh, it doesn't bug me. Now if they were buried and were just being overpowered by everything else, I would have an issue with that. Thanks for clarifying.

rob

QuoteThe drums sound really electronic on touch me i'm going to screams. it's too bad. i like the song. but what happened to MMJ creating space in their songs?

Very true, but I think it's more that the mastering is too loud/compressed than the band or production. It's hard to hear individual parts of the songs sometimes....the drums get squashed. I love that song, but the sound is really suffocating. No......air.....help.......can't.......breathe!
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"