Obama on Evil Urges (sorta)

Started by memphis2kentucky, Jul 01, 2008, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRoof

There are numerous articles and pictures on My Morning Jacket in the new Rolling Stone (July10-24,2008) but something said in an interview by Barack Obama really exemplified for me the Evil Urges concerns.

"My sense is that artists go through phases.  They start off expressing what they know and the stories they have to tell, and they're not necessarily thinking in terms of making a social statement.  Over time, their world views broaden, and their music starts expressing that as well"
You Are Everything

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

QuoteThere are numerous articles and pictures on My Morning Jacket in the new Rolling Stone (July10-24,2008) but something said in an interview by Barack Obama really exemplified for me the Evil Urges concerns.

"My sense is that artists go through phases.  They start off expressing what they know and the stories they have to tell, and they're not necessarily thinking in terms of making a social statement.  Over time, their world views broaden, and their music starts expressing that as well"

that's actually a very vaild point (mainly b/c I was thinking the same thing about a week ago). Evil Urges was influenced by all the new music the band is into, world travel, exploration of self, and meeting so many new people.

spot on!

TheRoof

QuoteThere are numerous articles and pictures on My Morning Jacket in the new Rolling Stone (July10-24,2008) but something said in an interview by Barack Obama really exemplified for me the Evil Urges concerns.

that's actually a very vaild point (mainly b/c I was thinking the same thing about a week ago). Evil Urges was influenced by all the new music the band is into, world travel, exploration of self, and meeting so many new people.

spot on!

i.e.:

Bob Dylan......the fans, media, ect. attempted to 'put him in a box' and play one style or genre of music and he possessed the courage to let his art take him where it lead him rather than follow an unguided voice.

I'm sure Jim and Dylan had a few memorable conversations on tour and more than likely influenced and engraved a different sense of self confidence and creativity in the bands future endeavors
You Are Everything

DaFunkyPrecedent

HA, i thought the same thing.  Cool.
God damn those shaky knees.

shockadow

Actually, i read somewhere that this album was heavily influenced by old Al Green, Sam Cooke, and Percy Sledge albums.  Ya know, the old Motown/ Gospel era stuff.  I think the music comes from an old place rather than a "New World " view.
That being said, the song Jim referenced was "A Change is Gonna Come"-  Very Barrak Obama sounding, if you ask me.
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.