Mix Tape for my newbie Girlfriend!

Started by Tony30052, Jul 01, 2008, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Two Tone

Ok, here's the deal.  Being an avid MMJ fan it would be natural for me to try to, for lack of a better word, brainwash my friends into MMJ.

My girlfriend is a newbie to the band and has expressed an interest, hell I heard her softly singing along to OBH the other day, nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Her favorite band is Counting Crows so she's into the really mellow, depressing, love song type stuff, SOOO I thought I'd make a little CD.

Tell me what you think this is what I have so far....in order

Keep in mind this a mellow list, the rock is for later

1. Phone Went West
2. Bermuda Highway
3. The Bear
4. Hopefully
5. I will be there when you die
6. War Begun
7. I Will Sing You Songs
8. I Needed it Most
9. Just One Thing
10. Thank You Too!

Input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Don Dante

This looks great as far as the chill and kinda sappy stuff goes.  Nice work.  Only one I would add is Lowdown.  Hard to beat this line:

"Chancing, glancing, sho nuff mood for romancing
so love dawg cant ye see that you only gotta dance with me."

And I'd consider Rollin' Back.  Kinda long but beautiful.  Danced to that with m'lady the other day and I won't be forgetting that anytime soon.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

BH

I think that's a great list!  I only have one suggestion, open with an MMJ opener like At Dawn, or Heartbreakin Man and close with Rollin' Back.  Maybe squeeze an O is the One in there to pick it back up a bit in the middle somewhere.  OK, so I guess that was three suggestions. ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

And I'd consider Rollin' Back.  Kinda long but beautiful.  Danced to that with m'lady the other day and I won't be forgetting that anytime soon.

Wow, simultaneous post.  We are on the same page here brother.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Don Dante

Wow, simultaneous post.  We are on the same page here brother.

;)  Yes!  Now you HAVE to use Rollin' Back Tony.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

Salacious D

All I have to say is Dondante is the sexiest song ever, so uh, if you're interested in that kinda thing, uh...you might want to consider putting it on the tape.
Because if there's one thing that goes well with shooting zombies it's a Dolly Parton cover-el chode

slimkim

two tone...

a must have and you even posted about it earlier...

the way that he sings

another must... Golden from acoustica...

by my car is a dandy.

personally i like... i got the ocean blue. i got a picture of you... with green green eyes and a cocaine smile...

Sooner -- or later i come to see you and feel your power in the early sun...

a definite must... is Wonderful (the way i feel)

and Steam Engine another must.

and just my opinion, if she is new u might reconsider phone went west. i love the song but it can be long and she might get lost in it.

let us know what the final cut is...

slim i am

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

mjkoehler

Quote... i got the ocean blue. i got a picture of you... with green green eyes and a cocaine smile...
I like the way you roll. Picture of You is a must.

Tony Two Tone

another must... Golden from acoustica...

AHH how could I forget GOLDEN???!?!?

Killgies

So many great choices but you can't go wrong with these:

Bermuda highway
The way that he sings
Steam Engine
Dondante
Thank you too
Rollin Back  
Librarian
Knot comes loose

Cobra
Every mix cd should have this song IMHO

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Honest Man

The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

Prom King

Tonite I Want To Celebrate With You  -  Morning Becomes Eclectic - KCRW - Santa Monica, CA - 10.27.06      
Sooner  -  Chocolate And Ice
Golden  -  It Still Moves      
Hopefully  -  Acoustic Citsuoca      
Thank You Too!  -  Evil Urges
By My Car  -  Tennessee Fire      
I Will Sing You Songs  -  It Still Moves      
I Will Be There When You Die (2 Meteor Session, Live)  -  Chapter 2: Learning: Early Recordings      
It Beats 4 U  -  Morning Becomes Eclectic - KCRW - Santa Monica, CA - 10.27.06      
Bermuda Highway  -  Acoustic Citsuoca
Just Because I Do  -  At Dawn      
Sweetheart  -  Chocolate And Ice      
Hot Burrito #1  -  Covers                  
Librarian  -  Evil Urges      
Picture Of You  -  The Tennessee Fire      
How Could I Know (Oxen)  -  Z (Pre-Order Exclusive)
Steam Engine  -  It Still Moves      

that fills up a disc right to the rim.  take it and run.

[url="http://www.last.fm/user/pastisback"]http://www.last.fm/user/pastisback[/url]

DaFunkyPrecedent

God damn those shaky knees.

blueskyink

Just made a Live Mixtape for myself because work is extremely slow today and I wanted something to play while I'm camping this weekend with my drunk friends and family.  I had to make some cuts due to limit of a single cd, I probably should create a second disc, maybe tomorrow if work is slow again.

But heres the track list:

1. Cobra - Roo '04
2. At Dawn - Roo '04
3. Anytime - KCRW 10-27-06
4. Heartbreakin Man - Roo '05
5. Get Down On It - Roo '08 XM source
6. Tonight I Want To Celebrate - KCRW 10-27-08
7. Tyrone - Roo '08 XM source
8. One Big Holiday - Roo '04
9. Phone Went West - Roo '04
10. Librarian>Smokin' From Shootin' - St. Davids
11. Highly Suspicious - Roo '08
12. Run Thru - Roo '05
13. Dondante - Roo '05

I have a lot of the same sources but they are the best quality boots I have plus some of my favorite versions I've heard.  Anyone know of any other really good boots floating around the interweb?

joey_rogo

Come Closer anyone???? How has this not been mentioned yet? The best MMJ love song imo.

Bigsky

Quotefags

Are you looking for some smokes or cigs, because if you are your in the wrong place. They are posting about the mellower side of MMJ...so soft and delicate, but be careful...it will still kick your ass.

PapaJoeBear

QuoteCome Closer anyone???? How has this not been mentioned yet? The best MMJ love song imo.

This right here.

Come Closer has a guitar line that plays over the chorus that can melt hearts.  I've seen it!  Lyrics are great too.   My buddy and I play this often, with him on harmonica.  Works out nice.

the_wizzard

QuoteCome Closer anyone???? How has this not been mentioned yet? The best MMJ love song imo.

This right here.

Come Closer has a guitar line that plays over the chorus that can melt hearts.  I've seen it!  Lyrics are great too.   My buddy and I play this often, with him on harmonica.  Works out nice.
Come Closer is a must!  Harmonica sounds like a nice addition!