Jim and Carl's guitar tones

Started by Fat_Old_Sun, Nov 12, 2005, 05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meddle

does anyone know what sort of distortion, delay, or other effects jim and carl use with their guitars?
...And Some Are Angels...

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

EC

hee hee hee.  Patrick as distortion.

I've seen pictures where there appeared to be a wide variety of pedals...  But I have no idea, really.  

Meddle

ahh.. i see.. i thought it was some electro-harmonix pedals..they have great delay
...And Some Are Angels...

corey

Eisey is a gear-head. Maybe he'll stop in soon and see this thread. He may have some answers for ya.

tomEisenbraun

HAHAHA, thankya Corey.

Okay, Jim runs a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head with a Mesa 2x12 cabinet. I'm pretty sure he has an MXR Phase-90 phaser pedal (the sound is pretty distinct) for use on I Will Sing You Songs and Run Thru. May not be what e uses on Run Thru. I'll have to ask 'em about those one of these days.

Carl uses a Mesa Boogie Lone Star head. It's blue. Runs that through a Mesa 2x12 cabinet too. These guys are smart not to use 4x12 cabinets on stage, as the sound they get is a lot tighter and not so frickin loud. I'm gonna go look at pictures and see what I can make of some pedals. They always look like the have a lot pedals, but I'm pretty sure they don't use em but very sparingly.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

aMillionDreams

maybe someone could take a picture of their on-stage setup.  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

there are some shots where their pedal boards are visible. I'm tryin to figure out what I can see right now.

tomEisenbraun

okay, so Jim definitey has a Boss Tuner pedal and an MXR Phase 90.

Tommy has a Electro Harmonix Graphic Fuzz or something of that nature.

I can't tell what Carl has. Except for his Ernie Ball volume pedal under the slide guitar.

tomEisenbraun

Okey doke. Jim has what appears to be a Gibson ES-335 Dot, a Gibson Flying V, and a Fender Strat of some sort. Also a 12-string Fender Strat.

Carl uses a Gold Top Les Paul with p90 pickups. I haven't gotten a good look at the other Les Pauls he uses.

Clarkwork

That Les Paul gold top with the P90's looks so nice.  That is the guitar I have wanted for a long time.  
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

DD

the strat is a 76.  the v is a custom made.  he and johnny got custom gibsons built back in the day, the V was his, johnny got an sg.  funny story on that, they had never done tobacco burst sg's but thats what he wanted.  after that they started making them.  so johnny probbably has a guitar worth a jesusload of money.

i also saw jim play an old ovation 12 string at the last show and he played a taylor acoustic.  he used to play a gibson acoustic which im sure he still has.....but i dont recall seeing it at the last show.

i see carl switch between two les pauls.  one is black, one is a gold top.  i think the black one is a les paul standard.  it looks exactly like one i used to have.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

mike d

It would be cool if we could get their rigs on guitargeek.com which shows what axes they use and what toys run into what..

assoc.

hi MMJ fans

the goldtop les paul looks like a 56 model. you can tell by the bridge.

the black les paul is a standard that has been fitted with an bigsby b7 tremelo arm. i'm pretty sure gibson have never made a standard with a bigsby, it might be a custom order or just retro fitted.

I've got exactly the same guitar and was actually inspired to do get it by Neil Young. i'm sure mmj dig young and crazy horse too!    check this link >>>

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/sound.html

I'm going to the concorde2 show in brighton and i'm good friends with the two sound men. I'll try to take a look at the stage set up and let you know.

enjoy....

Tore

Listening to the Louisville-recordings, it strikes me that Carl has a very similar guitarsound to that of Jimmy Page.