anyone play the omni chord - or q chord?

Started by bully, Aug 25, 2008, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bully

i just bought a q chord, and it is incredibly fun, but a SHITLOAD of options make it a bit challenging.

i love the black cab session where jim plays the omnichord.

i'm very curious if that same pre-programmed beat is on the newer version - like my q chord?
sincerely, my morning wood.

Angry Ewok

I'd love to learn to play an omni, but all those buttons look complicated!
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

mjkoehler

I'm with Brad on this. It would be kick ass to learn how to play but man that just looks way to complicated. I can barely use the microwave some days to heat water for tea. I'd probably f this thing up and somehow tap into some computer database and end up on a list somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, how much did this cost you? My son seemingly has some talent at music and want to encourage it as much as possible and he thought the omnichord looked cool also.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I have some (limited) musical ability, so this interests me. I play guitar and I was actually thinking about an omnichord today. Hmmm...
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Dodobird

I play the bagpipes, which is not very complicated but is difficult to play. I would love to buy an omnichord! Sounds like we could have the makings of a band here? Any of you guys going to the Philly show this weekend? I was thinking of bringing my pipes!
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

bully

i got my q chord, on line for 300 bux.  i also got a case and an ac power adapter.

if you search, there are a couple places offering that package.

i tell you what, i am NOT musically trained outside playing along with folks that are.

i can play bass 'ok' by ear...i can at least add depth when my friends are jamming.

but this q chord is f-ing FUN.

yes, there are a lot of buttons, and you CAN get a bit caught up in it.

BUT, you CAN NOT screw up, in a way too - i mean the thing is always in tune.  you can't go 'off key'.

it's like a fricking gospel revival on shrooms.

Cameron

i got an omni on ebay for around 100 bucks.  a couple of hours of fooling around and you will sound like a pro.  easier than it looks and i play no other instruments.

The Drake

yeah, the omnichord is really easy. That's how it was originally marketed: "Learn to play an instrument in 30 minutes".  And that claim isn't far off. If you have any musical ability it won't take 30 minutes.  I used to have an autoharp which is the acoustic predecessor of the omnichord.  My wife won't let me buy an omnichord because she doesn't like them and doesn't want to hear it.  :(

bully

after re-claiming your balls, politely, explain there is a headphone jack.

then run.

The Drake

Quoteafter re-claiming your balls, politely, explain there is a headphone jack.

then run.

ahhh, you have so much to learn.  A little compromise can go a long way. I got a new guitar amp instead.  Besides, I'm sure I would play it for a week and then opt for the guitar over the omnichord anyway.

So, enjoy your $300 noisemaker and your "balls", I'm sure you're the only who will be.

bully

i said "then run" in the head nod way of 'me too'...so no need for the harsh burnage aggressive drake.

anywho.  yeah, i was afraid it might be too novelty-E too, but so far it's been good.  I bought a cheap fender 15 g amp, get a rythm going and play bass to it.

A far more talented friend of mine had the little fucker jamming the other night.

it was like watchin' a kid ride your bike BETTER than you can.  It sucked in a way, but was still fun.

Willplaysguitar

QuoteI play the bagpipes, which is not very complicated but is difficult to play. I would love to buy an omnichord! Sounds like we could have the makings of a band here? Any of you guys going to the Philly show this weekend? I was thinking of bringing my pipes!
You should definatly bring the pipes, would be awesome entertainment for the 3+ hours in line.  I'd bring my guitar if i knew there was a safe place to put it.
On topic, I would love an omni chord, but i need a new guitar amp, a telecaster, and a big muff pi before I'll even think about dropping 300 bucks for a completly different instrument.