mini jacket bracket album oriented attack

Started by Grandpaboy, Oct 19, 2008, 02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpaboy

hey guys. being new to the forum, one of the things that's been interesting for me to try to keep track of during the "jacket bracket attack" is which album(s) people tend to favour when voting, because it's a way to get to "know" people and a way to get to know what/which album(s) diehard mmj fans prefer. so, in order to make people's preferences perfectly clear, i was wondering if you guys would be interested in doing an album oriented bracket attack. what i propose is for everybody to give each mmj album points on a scale from 1-5 and to have done so by 2 a.m. "central european time" monday (i think 2 a.m. corresponds with the daily closing time of voting for the song oriented bracket attack - what you guys over there in the U.S. call 8 p.m. eastern time). to illustrate what i mean: if i was to vote, i could vote like this:

evil urges: 5 points
Z: 4 points
it still moves: 3 points
at dawn: 2 points
the tennessee fire: 1

Note: that's just an example to show that everybody should give their favourite album 5 points, their second favourite album 4 points, their 3rd favourite album 3 points etc. afterwards i would add up the amounts of points given to the different albums and we would have an idea as to which album the people on this forum tend to prefer.

By the way, i know that this is kind of a stupid idea, but i think we all know that the song oriented jacket bracket attack is kind of a stupid - but fun - idea too. i mean, we all love different songs and different albums at different times. these "bracket attacks" are just a way to have fun and be studpidly mojo-ish and idiotically list-making-ish about our love for mmj. but that's all good, because it is what it is.

also, i get the feeling i'm being overly elaborate here. but english is not my first language, so please bear with me. and if anyone has a better idea of how to conduct an album oriented bracket attack, please speak up. let me know what you guys think.

buymycar

I'm having a hard enough time deciding between songs.  I can't possibly choose between the albums.  At Dawn, ISM, and Z are all 5 pointers to me.

xmascriminal

Maybe this?

1. At Dawn
2. Z
3. The Tennesee Fre
4. It Still Moves
5. Evil Urges

I don't really know for sure though. It changes a lot. Z was my favorite for a really long time.

By the way, the first round closes on Tuesday. I'm don't know if that's Monday for you. . .

getinthevan

Mine generally looks something like this:

1. At Dawn
Z
It Still Moves
The Tennessee Fire
5. Evil Urges

It seems to me that there was a thread a while back like this that didn't relate to the bracket but included all the EPs.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

tenn

1. The Tennessee Fire
2. It Still Moves
3. At Dawn
4. Z
5. Evil Urges

Grandpaboy

Getinthevan: I guess i should have known that there's already been a thread like this. i'm kind of at a loss as to how to search for it though. Also, I thought about including the EP's, but chose not to as it seems a bit unfair to judge them by the same standards as the albums.

Xmascriminal: I definitely screwed up the part about when voting closes (was a little been drunk when i started the thread). What i meant to say is that voting closes monday night at eight - your time. I guess that would be tuesday at 2 a.m my time.

And to all of you: I know that making lists like these is kind of absurd. The margins by which I prefer one album to another are ridiculously small. But that applies when voting for single songs as well. So, if pressed, I would vote like this:

At dawn: 5 points
Z: 4 points
The Tennesse Fire: 3 points
It Still Moves: 2 points
Evil Urges: 1 point

Deciding between TTF and ISM is particularly difficult for me though. On a different day i might put ISM in third place.

Grandpaboy

Oh, buy the way: I'm a little bit confused abot the way you guys are voting, but i take it, that when writing (like for example Tenn):

1. TTF
2. ISM
3. AD
4. Z
5. EU

> you mean to say, that you would give TTF 5 points, ISM 4 points and so on. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

Grandpaboy

oops. I forgot about this. So did most other forum members. Which is understandable: there's an awful lot of voting going on here right now and it does seem a little lame to quantify your love for MMJ like this. Anyway, here are the results (if I understand everybody's votes correctly):

1/ At Dawn: 23 points
2/ The Tennessee Fire: 17 points
3/ Z: 16
4/ It Still Moves: 14
5/ Evil Urges: 5

Of course, it's hard to find those numbers representative of any general tendencies, since only 5 people voted. With just a four point margin seperating second through fourth place, and At Dawn taking first place by a staggering 6 points, it does seem like that album would probably "win" in the long run though.

It certainly also seems possible that EU would lose. Maybe that album - or at least some of the songs off that album - just hasn't had time to really become classic in people's minds yet. I mean, if one were to make a poll like this two years from now, things might look different. Also, if more people had voted, there might have been more voters who only discovered MMJ recently, and among those people, i guess there might be some, that would give EU 4 points or even 5 points or at LEAST more than 1 point. And some of those points would probably be taken away from TTF or maybe AD.

Dunno. Maybe we'll try it again a couple of years from now.

kokua

5 points -Z
4 points -EU
3 points -ISM
2 points -AD
1 point  - TTF

If we could expand the field I would have to go with...

5 points - Z
4 points - Chapter 1: The Sandworm Cometh: Early Recordings
3 points - EU
2 points - Chapter 2: Learning: Early Recordings
1 point  - ISM

Ruckus

Completely disregard my votes as I am completely unable to do this by the rules.

5 points - Z, ISM, AD
4 points -TTF
3 points - EU

IMHO, I cannot find any flaws in my 5 pointers

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

QuoteMaybe this?

1. At Dawn
2. Z
3. The Tennesee Fre
4. It Still Moves
5. Evil Urges

I don't really know for sure though. It changes a lot. Z was my favorite for a really long time.

By the way, the first round closes on Tuesday. I'm don't know if that's Monday for you. . .

felonious!

you should be removed from controlling MMJBA!!!! :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons