Two Halves - An Analysis

Started by cmccubbin25, Jun 12, 2008, 04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jellyfish

One of the songs I skip through on EU.Just not happening for me.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

weeniebeenie

I have no idea what this song is about, I just know that I like it. The harmonies are great.
How loud can silence get?

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

getinthevan

It's gone from being one of my least favorites on Evil Urges, to being one of my favorites.  The first thing that comes to mind when I listen to it is growing up.  When we're young we dream of what we'll have, but once we're old, we dream of what we had.  The perfect "grass is always greener" scenario.  We can't just be happy with what we have.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

purvis9876

It reminds me of 50s surfer rock.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

ycartrob

I think it's one of the most important songs in the history of recorded music.

Shepardspy

I just wanted to point out that Jim's songwriting is very smart.  Not only in this song but the whole album.

The first half of the lyrics give the grass is greener concept...

Twenty-one, everything stays in place
Forty-one, some things start to fade
Well when you're so young, you want to be older
And when you're older, you'll want the body you have now

And then he hits you with the complete opposite:

I believe in a perfect world, you'd rule your own universe
The only company you'd ever need would be in your brain
The only company you'd ever need is in your head.

There's two halves to the song itself.  Looks like he was looking for a connection with someone but didn't find it.  

The meanings of these songs are whatever you want them to be.  Just like the meaning of love, or the meaning of life.  Jim's not going to tell us his meaning, but I'm sure he's looking for someone who feels the same way.  I think Jim's looking for someone who thinks the same thing is behind the man on the front cover.  Ice Cream perhaps?  I know if I were on that balcony I'd be reaching for it eagerly as well.      

Anyways... this whole "Duality of Man" thing scrambles me brain.

StayClassy

I have thought of somethign recent;y and a couple peopel have agreed...

To me Evil Urges looks like a rainbow with starting off your Red in Evil urges, and the sunny orange TMIMGTS, all they way to the dark, purplish indigoish TMIGTS part 2.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI have thought of somethign recent;y and a couple peopel have agreed...

To me Evil Urges looks like a rainbow with starting off your Red in Evil urges, and the sunny orange TMIMGTS, all they way to the dark, purplish indigoish TMIGTS part 2.

huhhhhhh....

what color is two halves?

this is an intriguing concept that I'm going to have to explore...

(Does the album line up to Wizard of Oz? Has anyone tried this yet?)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI just wanted to point out that Jim's songwriting is very smart.  Not only in this song but the whole album.

The first half of the lyrics give the grass is greener concept...

Twenty-one, everything stays in place
Forty-one, some things start to fade
Well when you're so young, you want to be older
And when you're older, you'll want the body you have now

And then he hits you with the complete opposite:

I believe in a perfect world, you'd rule your own universe
The only company you'd ever need would be in your brain
The only company you'd ever need is in your head.

There's two halves to the song itself.  Looks like he was looking for a connection with someone but didn't find it.  

The meanings of these songs are whatever you want them to be.  Just like the meaning of love, or the meaning of life.  Jim's not going to tell us his meaning, but I'm sure he's looking for someone who feels the same way.  I think Jim's looking for someone who thinks the same thing is behind the man on the front cover.  Ice Cream perhaps?  I know if I were on that balcony I'd be reaching for it eagerly as well.      

Anyways... this whole "Duality of Man" thing scrambles me brain.

right on man, right on
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

StayClassy

QuoteI have thought of somethign recent;y and a couple peopel have agreed...

huhhhhhh....

what color is two halves?

this is an intriguing concept that I'm going to have to explore...

(Does the album line up to Wizard of Oz? Has anyone tried this yet?)

Well I mean if you think about it like how some one would think of a standard rainbow its usually just, ROYGBIV, so obviously some songs are going to have to be mixed colors, but  I always thought two halves was like a yellowish, maybe a little greenish.

AMightyCaporal

I can't totally disagree with this rainbow concept- I think color plays an important role in the music.  I think it is more about the dual nature of man and when you watch the lighting at the shows- at least at the Philly show- a lot of songs used red and blue and purple often the red and blue would be fighting for dominance over the stage and sometimes they would combine to create purple over the entire stage.  It is quite possibly an incredibly well thought out performance or just me looking far too deeply into it... I'm going with the first though
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

CTdeadhead

tomEisenbraun

QuoteTwo Halves=Jim on BASS!

Wait, what?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.