okonokos.....the making of

Started by GoGoGadgetFunk, Oct 25, 2008, 12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grateful Chabo

so i came home last last and popped in the greatest musical dvd ever graced to us and i started wondering about how they shot this dvd.  someone gave me an explanation (sorta) one time and im just seeing if this is accurate.  didnt they shoot the footage in three nights at the filmore and use random clips of each night?  and what about the audio, is it from just one night and the footage shot is synced to it? I noticed a few years ago when it came out that in wordless chorus jim "the great one" has the glowing blue ball in his hand in one shot and then without in the other.....feed me your knowledge.  thanks
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

dragonboy

Quotedidnt they shoot the footage in three nights at the filmore and use random clips of each night?  and what about the audio, is it from just one night and the footage shot is synced to it?
Serious question?!! Haha OK...

Nothing random about it, they would have picked what they felt were the best performances of the songs they wanted over the 3 nights & skillfully edited the performances together.

Again...serious question?!! Do you not see how difficult it would be 'sync' it that well? Near impossible I should imagine.
The band (& fans) knew that the shows were going to be filmed and recorded for the DVD.
What you see is what you get - the real deal, filmed and recorded for your repeated listening pleasure!

Hell this isn't 'Britney Bitch'  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

So did I pass the test? Surely that was a plant after Tracy's (very welcome!) 'go easy on the noobs' thread?

Was I nice enough?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quotedidnt they shoot the footage in three nights at the filmore and use random clips of each night?  and what about the audio, is it from just one night and the footage shot is synced to it?

Nothing random about it, they would have picked what they felt were the best performances of the songs they wanted over the 3 nights & skillfully edited the performances together.

Again...serious question?!! Do you not see how difficult it would be 'sync' it that well? Near impossible I should imagine.
The band (& fans) knew that the shows were going to be filmed and recorded for the DVD.
What you see is what you get - the real deal, filmed and recorded for your repeated listening pleasure!

Hey Old Timer Vet...
it was actually 2 nights of filming....
God damn those shaky knees.

Grateful Chabo

i even went through the almighty search but didnt see an answer to tickle my fancy....i know it was the real deal but did the audio come from just one night of performing or did they take the best performance of all the songs?  and it is edited masterfully...im still amazed ;D

aMillionDreams

Quotei even went through the almighty search but didnt see an answer to tickle my fancy....i know it was the real deal but did the audio come from just one night of performing or did they take the best performance of all the songs?  and it is edited masterfully...im still amazed ;D

Why would they use the audio from one performance but not the video?  They played two nights at the Fillmore and picked the best performances.  You are hearing what they played during that performance.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

Quotei even went through the almighty search but didnt see an answer to tickle my fancy....i know it was the real deal but did the audio come from just one night of performing or did they take the best performance of all the songs?  and it is edited masterfully...im still amazed ;D

Why would they use the audio from one performance but not the video?  They played two nights at the Fillmore and picked the best performances.  You are hearing what they played during that performance.

I'm confused.  Isn't what Funk is saying is that the video for Wordless and surely some other songs are from both nights?  They took the best audio of a track from either night than synced the videos from both nights as they saw fit for the single audio track.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Simszy

I'm really said they didn't put "I Think I'm Going To Hell" in the DVD .. its sooo beautiful on the cd!

hizzo

Just got my copy of Okonokos in the mail today! It's epic! That was seriously amazing! But I have a question: Is it supposed to have that kind of holographic look throughout the show? It looks cool but I'm just making sure I didn't get like a messed up dvd or something...
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

Ruckus

Why is Funk the only one kinda questioning the appearing and disappearing blue ball?  C'mon...it's awesome but...but...how does Jim do it?  ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

DaFunkyPrecedent

it's two different video's - same audio.  right?
God damn those shaky knees.

Grateful Chabo

parts of both nights with the video...best audio of the two nights is what it has to be....that or black magic  :o

hizzo

Someone MUST know the answer to my question!  ::)
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

1derfulman

Does anyone else think the croud noise and cheering on the okonokos album sounds a little cheesey and dubbed over.  It's very inconsistent...

No offense.  Still an incredible live album.

AlwxanderD10

Quote\ when it came out that in wordless chorus jim "the great one" has the glowing blue ball in his hand in one shot and then without in the other.....feed me your knowledge.  thanks

I dont know is it that hard to switch hands??

Grateful Chabo

well one hand is for the mic, which he sings in, and in one shot he has the mysterious blue ball and in other shots he doesnt..theres no switching hands to it alwxander....two different shots from two different nights