mix disc thoughts?

Started by slappymoe, Jan 15, 2009, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slappymoe

first, some history:

i'm a relative newcomer to mmj despite living in louisville.....it may be the deepest shame i'll ever feel  :-[ that i didn't give these guys an honest listen until about a year ago when i saw them on pearl jam's "immagine in cornice" dvd doing "a quick one while he's away" (the who is my lifelong favorite band. if you play the who, you're ok with me).

the next day i saw their conan o'brien and letterman appearances on youtube, and the rest, as they say, is history.  as i bought each album (z, then evil urges, then it still moves, then both the tennessee fire and at dawn) i got a little angrier with myself for essentially ignoring mmj for 9 years or so.  

saw them at the waterfront in august and they were simply unreal. when jim said, "if you've been coming to see us for years we salute you, but if you're new and this is your first time we welcome you..." i figured he must have been talking to me, and all those years of neglect were forgiven. ;)

anyway, on to the point: in my efforts to spread the word of mmj, i'm making a mix disc for my brother to introduce him to the band and would welcome any input you folks might have, any songs you feel are "must haves" or "must avoids," just what would YOU put on a disc if you had to choose just 18 or so songs.

big brother is 55, an accomplished guitarist, digs good guitar-playin' stuff, guys like clapton, beatles (mccartney especially), paul simon, john prine, neil young, lot of oldies-but-goodies, big on acoustic.

i'm thinking (chronologically):

the bear
war begun
picture of you
i will be there when you die
lowdown
death is the easy way
hopefully
bermuda highway
just because i do
golden
masterplan
steam engine
it beats 4 u
gideon
lay low
thank you too!
sec walkin
look at you

or should i just give him a copy of all five albums? :o

Ghosts_on_TV

Your list doesnt have dondante on it. It should.  ;)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Kaimathi

I agree with the Dondante call and unless your brother is a mellow guy I think you have to put Phone Went West, Run thru, Dancefloors, and of course One Big Holiday....  
Funny, becuase I'm doing the same thing for my older brother right now.  He missed Chicago because of cancellation and now I'm trying to get the music into his blood.
Anyone know where I can download Chicago shows?

hizzo

QuoteI agree with the Dondante call and unless your brother is a mellow guy I think you have to put Phone Went West, Run thru, Dancefloors, and of course One Big Holiday....  
Funny, becuase I'm doing the same thing for my older brother right now.  He missed Chicago because of cancellation and now I'm trying to get the music into his blood.
Anyone know where I can download Chicago shows?
I was going to suggest all of the above! Good picks!

The Chicago shows aren't online yet. We're patiently waiting.. and hoping!
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

buymycar

Just give him Okonokos.  The band saves you some work.

And if you don't have it yet, what are you waiting for?  Get on it!

Love Dogg

I love testimonials like this...welcome.

I love what you're trying to do, but some things may be a little overload for him (especially all five studio albums at once).  Consider this:

Acoustic Citsuoca EP

+

A mix of: It Makes No Difference,  Off The Record, Master Plan, Steam Engine, Dondante, The Way That He Sings and COBRA.

=

A new fan!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

slappymoe

QuoteI agree with the Dondante call and unless your brother is a mellow guy I think you have to put Phone Went West, Run thru, Dancefloors, and of course One Big Holiday....
yeah, i realize dondante and one big holiday are some pretty severe omissions, probably gonna have to rethink that.  

slappymoe

I love what you're trying to do, but somethings may be a little overload for him
overload is exactly what i thought when buymycar suggested okonokos.....i want to introduce him to the band, not pummel him over the head and leave him dazed an confused! ;D

definitely will find a way to work OBH and dondante in, gonna stick with the more mellow stuff outside of that.  my hope is that the next family get-together will include my bro whipping out a couple of jacket songs on Betty (his acoustic guitar's name) in addition to the usual fare he treats us to.

now if we can find a family member who can sing like jim.......

Guy Whitey Corngood

No MMJ mix is complete if it doesn't include Strangulation!, at least in my biased opinion.