Yim Yames...A Tribute to

Started by dkessler175, Jun 24, 2009, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteI like how it says "solo album coming soon"

This is now the era of Yim Yames huh?

Prediction: Jacket will do the festival tour next summer - late night Roo for sure!

From your keyboard to Superfly's ears...

THey should have their own festival like Phish does. I'd travel anywhere for that.

Whoa....agreed!   :D

i don't see them doing bonnaroo next summer, i hope but don't think it's likely (not to be a downer)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

Quote...Behind that locked door- wow wow wow wow. So beautiful- simple and stunning at the same time.

I know, it's a beauty. I really hope that he does a solo tour...
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ALady

Prediction: Jacket will do the festival tour next summer - late night Roo for sure!

THey should have their own festival like Phish does. I'd travel anywhere for that.

i don't see them doing bonnaroo next summer, i hope but don't think it's likely (not to be a downer)

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't...they love Bonnaroo, heck, Patrick was there this year just to hang out.  Do you know something we don't?   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Love Dogg

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't...they love Bonnaroo, heck, Patrick was there this year just to hang out.  Do you know something we don't?   ;D

Unfortunately, I think she does...and that's reality.  They're all going strong in separate directions.  Jim's got the YY thang and the MOF thang...Pat's been with Dan Auerbach and is the best drummer on the great earth...Bo is busy with his musicianship, Carl's a daddy and very likely in high demand for his skills too...and Tommy has the auto shop in Shelbyville (and most likely will show up with somebody soon) so...

Is My Morning Jacket done...I don't think so, but we won't see them for a little while unless it's something special.
:-/
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

capt. scotty

With all do respect, I say

FUCK THE SKEPTICISM!!!

MMJ is all of their dreams. Of course they have other things going on in their lives, but MMJ is a driving force that will not go down because of "family matters" like the ones you speak of. They all have their separate lives, but MMJ wil be back in 2010 (is that actually next year?!) and Im sure of it
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Nikkogino

QuoteWith all do respect, I say

FUCK THE SKEPTICISM!!!

MMJ is all of their dreams. Of course they have other things going on in their lives, but MMJ is a driving force that will not go down because of "family matters" like the ones you speak of. They all have their separate lives, but MMJ wil be back in 2010 (is that actually next year?!) and Im sure of it

I agree.  MMJ will be back soon enough.

Love Dogg

QuoteWith all do respect, I say

FUCK THE SKEPTICISM!!!

I agree.  MMJ will be back soon enough.

I hope you're right.  I was just sayin'...
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

ALady

aMillionDreams

I think there's a better chance of seeing Pat in the lawn than MMJ on stage, much like last year. But don't stop believin', keep the dream alive and all that...
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Sassbox

I'll be seconding the "y'all are crazy" here.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Penny Lane

i just don't think they're the type of band to NOT out-do themselves...for them to come back w/an album, even more extra-terrestrial than EU, THEN top that w/a festival tour, just doesn't make sense if you've been paying attention to the interviews and to the things Jim's been doing (along w/the rest of them). what will they do, play a NYE show BIGGER or play a 6 hour set at bonnaroo-or put out an album full of R&B covers--the reason i love them so much is not that they're consistent (which they are of course, in that they consistently make me happy) but that they they have grown in every way possible w/each album and each tour and although i'd love to see them again, i'm in no hurry. to me it's like catching a butterfly to amuse yourself, which is altogether wrong and against nature; i want to give them all the room they need and a year won't be enough time, IMO (Okay, i'm done!! sawwwwyyyy) :-?

ALady

I think you're reading too much into the interviews.  

I fully expect them to return to Roo, this time maybe as a headliner.  There's your growth.  

aMillionDreams

Do you have any reasons to believe that?  The only people giving reasons in this "debate" are Penny and LoveDog. The "ya'll are crazy" argument doesn't hold water.

Oh, and there was, why wouldn't they play bonarroo?  I don't know, same reason they didn't last year maybe.

ALady

Where are the reasons, exactly?  That they've reached their creative apex as a band and can't possibly top EU, so they'll just call it quits?  That the band members can't have side projects and personal lives without the band imploding?  That's speculation, not reasoning.

Until we hear differently from the band - and we haven't, someone please correct me if we have - I don't see why it would be unreasonable to expect them to put out a record and tour within the next year or so.  Everything I've read indicates that the band is on hiatus, nothing more.

Stop freaking out, people    ::)

aMillionDreams

I'm not freaking out and I'm not suggesting this is anything but a hiatus, I just think it may be a little optimistic to hope for a record and a tour within a year when JJ is recording a solo album, releasing the Monsters of Folk side project, then has the Monsters of Folk tour, then he expects to release the solo album which I assume he'll at least do a few dates in support of.   If he can do all that and record and support an album with MMJ by bonaroo next year, I'll eat my hat.

Sassbox

I'll gladly support whatever side projects the individual band members participate in, but I'm hopeful we'll see more from the group as we know them.  I don't think there's any compelling "evidence" to support the demise of the band as we know it at this point, so I'll remain hopeful.

And my "y'all are crazy" wasn't put forth as debate, rather as a "MAAAAAAAAA, MAKE THEM STOP!"  ;D
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

ALady

QuoteI'm not freaking out and I'm not suggesting this is anything but a hiatus, I just think it may be a little optimistic to hope for a record and a tour within a year when JJ is recording a solo album, releasing the Monsters of Folk side project, then has the Monsters of Folk tour, then he expects to release the solo album which I assume he'll at least do a few dates in support of.   If he can do all that and record and support an album with MMJ by bonaroo next year, I'll eat my hat.

I don't know...there's 24 hours in the day, I think Yim's got plenty of time.  It's not like he has to run over to the studio and record stuff when he gets home from his day job.  ;D

In all seriousness though, there are plenty of great records that were written in an incredibly short amount of time.  Creativity knows no timeline...it could take a year, it could take a week.  

Since Yim has noted in interviews that 2009 would be a writing year for the band, I'd imagine there are a number of new MMJ songs already demo'ed, and that there's possibly some cross-pollination going on between the projects at this point.  I really doubt that each record is being created in a vacuum.  Speaking very generally, that's just not how musicians work.

Anyway, we really don't know, and we can't know...so without any real evidence to indicate a band breakup, I don't see any reason to be so fatalistic at this juncture.

Penny Lane

i didn't all mean a band breakup---i'm sure they'll put out another album. just not in a year. we haven't seen the last of them, but for a while at least...that's all i was saying. i see them possibly going back into the studio the fall of 2010...maybe

capt. scotty

Considering it was almost 3 years between Z and EU of no new material, I think I can live with the Harrison EP and MOF a year after EU, with the possibilities of a JJ solo album in 2010 and MMJ new shiznit in 2011

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Love Dogg

QuoteConsidering it was almost 3 years between Z and EU of no new material, I think I can live with the Harrison EP and MOF a year after EU, with the possibilities of a JJ solo album in 2010 and MMJ new shiznit in 2011

Makes sense to this guy.