Custom Versions of Albums

Started by Brother_Beck, Nov 24, 2009, 03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Beck

My Morning Jacket is my favorite band.  The music that they make is my favorite music.  On my computer and in my iPod, my version of Evil Urges runs like this:

1. Evil Urges
     2. TMIGTS Pt. 1
     3. Highly Suspicious
     4. I'm Amazed
     5. Thank You Too!
     6. El Caporal
     7. Dear Wife
     8. Devil's Peanut Butter
     9. Aluminum Park
     10. Remnants
     11. Smokin' From Shootin'
       12. TMIGTS Pt. 2

I have the other songs from EU separate.  I do listen to them sometimes, because I still think they are good songs (with the exception of Two Halves), but I don't think they are as strong as the beginning and end of the CD.  

I tried to keep the songs that I swapped in similar to the songs I swapped out, because I know sequencing is important; for example, to me, Two Halves and Dear Wife have a similar sound and feel, only I think Dear Wife is a much, much, much better song.  (Librarian is a pretty unique MMJ song, and while I enjoy it on its own, it kills the momentum of the album for me when I am listening straight through and I would usually skip it.)  I also tried to use songs recorded during the Evil Urges sessions, but I have learned since then that Devil's Peanut Butter is most likely an outtake from the Z Sessions...

With it set up like this, I now listen straight through to every song, where before I honestly listened up to Thank You Too! and then skipped ahead to Aluminum Park.  For the record, I paid for the songs I swapped in where I could.  I bought the Dark Was The Night compilation to get El Caporal  (and to give money to a good cause!) and the Dear Wife is live from the Las Vegas at the Palms EP from iTunes.  I couldn't find Devil's Peanut Butter to purchase anywhere but I love it and had to have it.

My version of Z has Chills and How Could I know plugged in and Into The Woods removed.  Into The Woods is great and fun but it is kind of a silly song and I don't like to listen to it with the rest of Z.  

Does anybody else do this kind of stuff, or am I just a bad fan...?      

AMightyCaporal

You aren't a bad fan.  I don't do this, I'll make MMJ custom mixes/playlists but I keep all my albums together.

Isn't Devil's Peanut Butter a Z outtake?
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

BH

Sounds fun.  I'm going to make a playlist tonight and call it Brother Beck's Urges.  

No Sec Walin' even?   I think the left leg right leg thing kind of throws people off to what a great song that is.   I may have to make a playlist called Brother Beck's Urges with Sec Walkin put back in because Brother Beck just hasn't realized yet how awesome that song is.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteYou aren't a bad fan.  I don't do this, I'll make MMJ custom mixes/playlists but I keep all my albums together.

QuoteI also tried to use songs recorded during the Evil Urges sessions, but I have learned since then that Devil's Peanut Butter is most likely an outtake from the Z Sessions...       

C'mon AMC, quit slacking and read the Brothers entire post  ;)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

This is actually pretty funny Brother Beck, because earlier today in the American Dad thread, I actually said I usually skip right to Remnants after Thank You Too is over. Great minds think alike!

I like the idea of inserting those 3 tracks as the replacements is brilliant as well. DPB is awesome.

Gotta disagree with removing Into The Woods though...
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

AMightyCaporal

QuoteYou aren't a bad fan.  I don't do this, I'll make MMJ custom mixes/playlists but I keep all my albums together.

Quote I also tried to use songs recorded during the Evil Urges sessions, but I have learned since then that Devil's Peanut Butter is most likely an outtake from the Z Sessions...       

C'mon AMC, quit slacking and read the Brothers entire post  ;)

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

buymycar

This is a great idea.  I'm not a big fan of the soft chewy center of Evil Urges.  I can't get into it, no matter how many licks I take.

Never even thought of lumping Dear Wife into the Evil Urges tracks.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I need to score a copy of devils peanut butter...

pm? thx I <3 u 4 evrz.

ps. please.

...From On High

QuoteSounds fun.  I'm going to make a playlist tonight and call it Brother Beck's Urges.  

No Sec Walin' even?   I think the left leg right leg thing kind of throws people off to what a great song that is.   I may have to make a playlist called Brother Beck's Urges with Sec Walkin put back in because Brother Beck just hasn't realized yet how awesome that song is.

I like the BH guy!
Oh, I'll never say I knew you.  But my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Brother Beck

BH – Sec Walkin is a really good song.  I like it a lot.  I just like El Caporal more!  I was in a cool new establishment a while back having brunch with my girlfriend and her family, and they were playing music while the folks dined, and Sec Walkin came on.  I was so fired up to hear it!  I complimented the bartender on the awesome music and he told me that he comes up with the play-lists, and is a huge fan of MMJ and plays them a lot, and he gets a lot of inquiries from the uninformed that like what they hear.  

capt. headdy - Into The Woods is a cool song, and I listen to it all the time, only I listen to it alone.  To me it just doesn't go with songs like Gideon and Dondante that are just epic and emotional.

I am not sure when they recorded Devil's Peanut Butter – does anyone have a definitive answer, whether that came from the Z or EU sessions...?  I guess I always just assumed it came from the EU sessions because I thought I heard strings and I remember reading about Beck's dad adding some string arrangements to EU.

I honestly thought people were going to be more critical of my messing with MMJ albums, but I really try to respect the length and flow of the albums and just swap in songs I like a little more.  I probably wouldn't go through the trouble with any other band.  Plus, I keep all MMJ songs.  I still have Two Halves out of respect for the boys even though I really don't like it and never listen to it, just in case some day I come around.