my morning jacket = _

Started by slimkim, Apr 24, 2010, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimkim

after tonite i am convinced that the band is a derivative of Pink Floyd.

it's truly a beautiful SOUND that they create.

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quoteafter tonite i am convinced that the band is a derivative of Pink Floyd.

they're beyond pink floyd and I'm not saying this to fluff them.  they are a hybrid of everything that has been and will be good about music they've got flavors of old school and flavors of new school all meshed into one premium blend.  one delicious sound.. err many delicious sounds.. plus jim screams loud and that's pretty sweet.

Erik26

It's funny you see a Pink Floyd element in MMJ. I have always thought that as well. Being 28 I never had a chance to see The Floyd (outside the Pulse DVD), but I can imagine being at one of there shows to be as amazing and cathartic as a My morning Jacket show.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

johnnYYac

QuoteIt's funny you see a Pink Floyd element in MMJ. I have always thought that as well. Being 28 I never had a chance to see The Floyd (outside the Pulse DVD), but I can imagine being at one of there shows to be as amazing and cathartic as a My morning Jacket show.

In 1996, I saw Pink Floyd 4th row in a stadium.  In 2010, I saw MMJ 4th row in a 2000-seat theater- no big circular screen, no floating pig, no 30-year catalog of music.  I'd rate those experiences nearly equal, though MMJ is more significant to me now then PF was then.

I see some elements of Floyd, Neil Young, Allman Bros., and just about everything else.  After their next album, I'll probably find other connections to make.    
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

slimkim

thanks for feedback. i don't normally like to try to compare bands to others, but sometimes you just can't help. the music from the 60s and 70s has a huge footprint in my musical tastes. and that's not a bad thing...

but i mention pink floyd and my morning jacket in the same breath because they just seem to produce an ethereal sound like no other. music and lyrics that produce a feeling and aura like no other to me.

the music truly moves me.

the way that jim and carl play off each other is truly amazing to hear no less see. they are really in tune with each other, but it's really also how Jim has brought this band together and how they are all so connected.

it is indeed special to witness. i don't care what they play or what they don't play. just care that they play.

so thank you @mymorningjacket

and i forgot the fireworks -- very niice.

hope everyone gets a chance to see them on this mini tour...

enjoy and be well...

slim i am.

sidenote: i listened to the may show from toronto 2004 on the plane back home. now that is some of the purest music on earth.
there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

Erik26

QuoteIt's funny you see a Pink Floyd element in MMJ. I have always thought that as well. Being 28 I never had a chance to see The Floyd (outside the Pulse DVD), but I can imagine being at one of there shows to be as amazing and cathartic as a My morning Jacket show.

In 1996, I saw Pink Floyd 4th row in a stadium.  In 2010, I saw MMJ 4th row in a 2000-seat theater- no big circular screen, no floating pig, no 30-year catalog of music. [highlight] I'd rate those experiences nearly equal, though MMJ is more significant to me now then PF was then.
[/highlight]

I see some elements of Floyd, Neil Young, Allman Bros., and just about everything else.  After their next album, I'll probably find other connections to make.    

That is exactly what I mean as well. For example I just saw Muse a few weeks ago...Floyd style show but no catalog of tunes to back it up and therefore it was fun but no where near as good as an MMJ show. There is just something about an MMJ show, indescribable to anyone who hasn't experienced one.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Kenny76

interesting... Floyd was one of the first bands I thought of when I first heard MMJ.  must have something to do with their spacey but intricate sounds, and their ability to be both chilled-out and passionate...

I like Sticky Icky's answer a lot.

SmokinShootin

I think MMJ has more soul to them.

twofingers

I started making the Floyd comparison at Z but Evil Urges is really what solidified that for me. Especially Bo's parts on EU. But I agree with johnnYYac, I hear so many of my favorites in this band it's stupid.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

My Monkey Friend

i have tried to compare MMJ to other bands too (radiohead, allmans, zep for me). but i gave up, its too hard b/c MMJ sounds like no one else. i just tell people now- pick an album, any of them. give it 2 full listens and i will see you at the show.

twofingers

Quotei have tried to compare MMJ to other bands too (radiohead, allmans, zep for me). but i gave up, its too hard b/c MMJ sounds like no one else. i just tell people now- pick an album, any of them. give it 2 full listens and i will see you at the show.

I agree, I guess I'm not really drawing a comparison because I find it impossible to categorize them. It's just a reference I suppose.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

ynwa

Quoteafter tonite i am convinced that the band is a derivative of Pink Floyd.

they're beyond pink floyd and I'm not saying this to fluff them.  they are a hybrid of everything that has been and will be good about music they've got flavors of old school and flavors of new school all meshed into one premium blend.  one delicious sound.. err many delicious sounds.. plus jim screams loud and that's pretty sweet.

ditto on what sticky said.

when i first heard them, their early stuff, jim's voice reminded me of a cross between neil young and kermit the frog.  i mean that in a very good way.  
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

DaFunkyPrecedent

My Morning Jacket reminds me more of The Band
Umphrey's McGee reminds me more of Pink Floyd...like A LOT.
LCD Soundsystem reminds me of The Talking Heads
Chromeo is more or less Hall and Oates
and Andre 3000 is Sly Stone
God damn those shaky knees.

vwxg14a

MMJ= (Pink Floyd * .12) + (Neil Young and Crazy Horse / 7) + (Rolling Stones * PI) / (Allman Brothers / The Band) * (Radiohead - The Flaming Lips) ^ (Muppets)

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.