Z Turns 10! - born on this date in 2005

Started by johnnYYac, Oct 04, 2012, 03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Happy 7th Birthday, Z!

Not my favorite, but I love every track.

Lay Low made me a fan.

I will never tire of Dondante.

Love me some acoustic Gideon!

A kitten on fire, a baby in a blender!

A carton of eggs think its all worthwhile!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

That's not the best lyric from that song, John :evil: , but it's close!

MarkW

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

lpkell2145

Awww, Happy Birthday Z!

My heart beats for you still. This was the first MMJ album I was introduced to so you are very special to me. xoxo   :kiss:
20 times I wish you'd understand...

MrWhippy

Z is my favorite MMJ album.  My absolute favorite songs are from other albums, but to me Z as an album is just a slab of perfection.  I wouldn't change a minute of it.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

lucylew

Awwwww Z was the album that made me fall in love with MMJ!

bartel

hard to believe this album is 7 years old.. seems like yesterday when I heard wonder man for the first time on the radio.

Northern Neighbour

My favourite album by the band and a classic. 

smhoffmann02

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 04, 2012, 03:54 PM

Lay Low made me a fan.

This song NEVER ceases to blow me away.  So much good stuff on this album.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

bartel

into the woods is a great tune.. never really got into it until it was played this year at the mann. awesome.

e_wind

i know people talk about how awesome into the woods is or whatever, but seriously its in my bottom 5 of all MMJ songs.

side note: I think a lot of people automatically pretend that lesser known or "rarer" tracks live are better than other ones. When I think this video will disprove that:
My Morning Jacket
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

manonthemoon

For me Into the Woods has one of my favorite set of lyrics of any MMJ song.

Put in more than you could ever get out
I'm tired of the talking, I know what you're about

For me good words to live by.  Give it your all because that's the right thing to do, not what you'll get in return.  If more people lived like that we wouldn't have so many problems.
Alive or Just Breathing

weeniebeenie

Z was my first MMJ album and Off The Record was the first MMJ song Id heard.
How loud can silence get?

johnnYYac

Today is the 10th anniversary of Z.

Thoughts...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Lonndown27

what an incredible album...I had become a fan in 2004 in the middle of the touring cycle for It Still Moves. I remember seeing a Bonnaroo clip somewhere, i dont remember where, but it was Mahgeetah I'm thinking and it blew my mind. Next thing I know I'm watching the OBH music video and then performance on Conan with my brother! Things just kept getting more and more interesting as that year went on, culminating in me buying ISM two weeks affter first hearing anything from it.

I wore that album through and through and eagerly anticipated the first Jacket album that I'd be pining for its release, and that was Z. When Z came out it shocked me that they'd go colder, more mechanical, almost like a silvery sound...it hit me like 2 bricks to the teeth,...it blew me away....I wasn't into Worldess Chorus at first, but things like It Beats 4 U which spun my head into two different directions and then Gideon which I immediately went "THE WHO BABY????!""" Anytime was an instant classic and made me cry during the chorus. Dondante shattered my mind and really confirmed them as the greatest band i'd ever heard. I'd been listening to Coheed and Cambria and The Mars Volta and The Strokes, hoping some new band from my generation would make music as good as it was back in the 60s and 70s, and then MMJ showed me the path.

I was blown over by how much genres they were throwing into the mix, I didn't expect it. I totally thought they were Southern boys beholden to that ONE sound. I was relieved to notice that they WERENT BEHOLDEN TO IT ANYMORE and were stretching out, but it also STILL sounded like MMJ  :beer:

Z was the first MMJ album I got stoned too, and it began a reoccuring theme / celebratory ritual, where when the day's over, I'll get out my bud, roll a joint or load a bowl, and put on something MMJ and tilt my head back and laugh and eat some candy and some good food with my lovely lady Chelsea, who although she doesnt quite get the obsession, she puts up with it and loves the band genuinely as well.

Z isnt my favorite, but its at least my second favorite studio record, not to mention its followup OKONOKOS pretty much nails the sound of Z live and is a force to be reckoned with. OKONOKOS sealed the deal with them as MY FAVORITE BAND OF ALL TIME....I have always LOVED LIVE ALBUMS and here they are putting this out like this, AND a LIVE DVD TOO??? It was too much for my brain, but thank god it wasn't , because I've been studying this band's brilliance since.

Z was a landmark album, and as Patrick once said a fan claimed "it was the bible to the Universe"....and that's quite beautiful and quite true  :beer:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018