YY writes music for art show

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jun 04, 2010, 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

I don't know if this has been posted before, hopefully not!
:)

http://pitchfork.com/news/39031-jim-james-tvotr-members-mac-mccaughan-write-music-for-art-show/
From September 2, 2010 through February 6, 2011, The Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina hosts a new exhibition called "The Record: Contemporary Art and Vinyl", which aims to "explore the culture of vinyl records within the history of contemporary art [through] sound work, sculpture, installation, drawing, painting, photography, video, and performance."

Along with works by the likes of Laurie Anderson and David Byrne and a "16-foot canoe made of red 45-rpm records," "The Record" features a new multi-media piece by visual artist Xaviera Simmons called "Thundersnow Road". It includes photographs of characters posing in various North Carolina landscapes as well as accompanying songs inspired by each photo. Simmons got some heavy hitters to write the original tunes, including [highlight]My Morning Jacket's Jim James (as Yim Yames)[/highlight], TV On the Radio members Kyp Malone (as Rain Machine), Tunde Adebimpe (as Prolex with Ryan Sawyer), and Jaleel Bunton, along with Superchunk's Mac McCaughan collaborating with Les Savy Fav's Harrison Haynes, and more.

The "Thundersnow Road" soundtrack will be played at the museum, and-- in the spirit of the exhibition-- Merge is helping to press 1,000 LPs of it. (No word on how the records will be distributed yet.) For more information on "The Record", head over to The Nasher Museum's official site, and check out a list of all the contributors to the "Thundersnow Road" soundtrack below along with some photos from the piece:

"Thundersnow Road" soundtrack:

01 Rain Machine: "Thundersnow Road"
[highlight]02 Yim Yames: "Of The Mother Again"[/highlight]
03 Prolex (Tunde Adebimpe and Ryan Sawyer): "Thundersnow Lightworks"
04 IFE: "Home"
05 "Moist" Paula Henderson: "Boxer Farmer"
06 Harrison Haynes and Mac McCaughan: "Murdering a Rock"
07 Simi Stone and Ben Vita: "Take the Light"
08 Austin McCutchen: "Two Tracks"
09 Ben Chace and Paul Defiglia: "Wandering Through the Pines"
10 Jaleel Bunton: "Devil Won't Let Me Ride"
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

ALady

Huh...very cool.  Nice find, SBB!

I don't recognize a lot of the names among the soundtrack contributors (besides YY of course, and the TVOTR/Superchunk/LSF guys) but Simi Stone is the fiddle player in the Duke and the King - Simone Felice's newish project. Pretty cool that she contributed!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

Lovely find!! Thanks once again!  8-)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket