MMJ and The Other Side of Immigration

Started by SaraBananaBear, Sep 30, 2010, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

QuoteWas it live or studio versions?  Strangulation live is the shit.
Could you be a bigger dick? K, thanks.
?

Crispy

?
Hmm, okay, I guess you didn't realize you were being a dick when you commented about not wanting to read about immigration in a thread specifically titled as such, then accused Sara of being off topic even when the post is about MMJ's music being featured in a documentary about immigration, then asked her to cite where the music came into play, and then when she did, your response was not, "Oh, okay, I see," or "I think immigration is bullshit," instead you attempted to divert attention from your shenanigans by giving an example about how badass Strangulation is live, which it certainly is. Maybe you should make a new thread so-titled, and then you wouldn't have to read about musical acts getting involved with immigration in this one when you really just wanted to talk about Strangulation the whole time?

Sorry for the confusion.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Nikkogino

?
Hmm, okay, I guess you didn't realize you were being a dick when you commented about not wanting to read about immigration in a thread specifically titled as such, then accused Sara of being off topic even when the post is about MMJ's music being featured in a documentary about immigration, then asked her to cite where the music came into play, and then when she did, your response was not, "Oh, okay, I see," or "I think immigration is bullshit," instead you attempted to divert attention from your shenanigans by giving an example about how badass Strangulation is live, which it certainly is. Maybe you should make a new thread so-titled, and then you wouldn't have to read about musical acts getting involved with immigration in this one when you really just wanted to talk about Strangulation the whole time?

Sorry for the confusion.

No, I was trying to get the subject back to music.  And when she did, I was curious as to whether the Strangulation was one I had heard.  My whole point from the beginning of this thread was that I was more into MMJ's music....that is what they do right...than I am in what their stance on immigration is.

By the way, if you read this thread, you will see that people were debating the immigration issue, which, ummmm, as I said, I don't give a shit about.  That can be talked about somewhere else.....go post a comment on a cnn thread.  Sara is a nice poster...and I was a little bit of a dick in the way I talked to her ("k, thanks") but I am honestly sooo sick of politics in my music.  The 24 hour news cycle is so tiring and music and sports are a good getaway from the bullshit.  Next thing I know, I'm going to come on here and see that MMJ is boycotting the NSA for frisking people in airports.  So Sara...sorry if you were offended.  I think you are cool...I was just taking out my frustration on you a little.  

So whatever guys...I love you all but I hate politics!!!!!  Truce? :D

SaraBananaBear

?

Sorry for the confusion.

No, I was trying to get the subject back to music.  And when she did, I was curious as to whether the Strangulation was one I had heard.  My whole point from the beginning of this thread was that I was more into MMJ's music....that is what they do right...than I am in what their stance on immigration is.

By the way, if you read this thread, you will see that people were debating the immigration issue, which, ummmm, as I said, I don't give a shit about.  That can be talked about somewhere else.....go post a comment on a cnn thread.  Sara is a nice poster...and I was a little bit of a dick in the way I talked to her ("k, thanks") but I am honestly sooo sick of politics in my music.  The 24 hour news cycle is so tiring and music and sports are a good getaway from the bullshit.  Next thing I know, I'm going to come on here and see that MMJ is boycotting the NSA for frisking people in airports.  So Sara...sorry if you were offended.  I think you are cool...I was just taking out my frustration on you a little.  

So whatever guys...I love you all but I hate politics!!!!!  Truce? :D

I'm not offended, no worries about that. The thing is though, that this thread isn't just about music, so when you're trying to get the subject back to music, you have to understand that the subject was never about the music, it's about the music AND immigration. If you want to discuss music and only music, there's lots of other threads for that. And even if you're only into MMJ's music, there are other of us who are interested in BOTH MMJ's music and immigration and I would ask you to respect that. I think MMJ's stance on immigration is very interesting and I think it should be okay to dedicate at least one thread to that. And as previously discussed, I can't see that it's off topic, so no reason to put it anywhere else and I don't think any CNN threads have the same knowledge of MMJ's music that this forum has, so that wouldn't work for me.
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

SaraBananaBear

QuoteIf you don't want to discuss and/or read about immigration, this thread is probably not for you. I think the title is pretty clear about the subject though...  so maybe just not read this thread? :-? I think it's a very important subject and I'd like to learn more about it and discuss with others now and then :)

ok, well that is not what "The Music" forum is for....maybe try the "off topic ramblings."  K, thanks.
Dude, we get that your politics don't align with the majority of this board or with the band.  That's cool.  I just think it's sad that nowadays you come on this board just to say negative shit and give a hard time to one of the nicest people on this board.  Go share your hate elsewhere.  

Cool....anyway, I was asking what songs did they contribute.  I was trying to get the thread on track to "music."  No hate.

I was going to post that sooner, but I didn't write it down when I was watching it and then it took me a while to get around to watching it again. I remember which songs of course, but they highlighted certain parts of the lyrics, so wanted to get that right.

The songs played was The Way That He Sings (x2), Strangulation (x3) and I'm Amazed (x1).

The Way That He Sings was played in the background while people were talking, but brought back full on during these parts of the lyrics:

Why's it so strange when they say that the world's movin upwards?
Why's it surreal when my hands feel they cant roll the dice?

And:
Why's it so soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it won't happen to us?

Which really fitted in well with the movie and the themes of the stories told, they had one Bright Eyes song (Four Winds) and one COMVB (Cape Canaveral) song which fitted in perfectly as well. For me it kind of gave the songs another meaning or a expanded... elaborated... ? (okay, my english fails me here, I hope you understand what I mean anyways) meaning.

Strangulation was also played in the background, but not the whole song, I think it was mostly the end of the song, the only lyrics heard was:
And you won't feel a thing. You won't feel a thing.

At the end of the movie the whole of I'm Amazed was played, all lyrics included, which again, fits perfectly.

Okay, continuing with this subject again, I was reading the text written on the inside of the dvd cover and I think it ties in with the highlighted parts of the lyrics to TWTHS, especially;
Why's it so soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it won't happen to us?

The filmmaker Roy Germano writes that:
Clearly migrating to another country without proper documentation is illegal. Mexican or American, I think we can all agree on that much. I wonder, however, how many Americans wouldn't hesitate to violate the immigration laws of a foreign country if doing so meant vastly improving the life chances of their children. Would you think twice about migrating illegally to Canada, for example, if the U.S. economy was in ruins, your children were destined for a life of poverty and there were plenty of high-wage jobs to be done in Canada?

blucas

I feel a bit responsible in helping to shift the topic from music towards pure politics. That said, I offer no apology for sharing my views on an important topic and appreciate that Sarah BB started the thread (and I appreciate her contributions throughout the site on other topics as well!).    

Onigokkin, it might be valuable for you to consider opinions and views on the world around you from sources other than the news and mainstream media.   I for one, love the fact that I can come to a site of relatively like minded people and understand their views on a varity of issues, regardless of whether those views agree with mine (and no onigokkin, your posts don't constitute constructive sharing of views).  

That said, as you claim to "not give a shit" about the topic...JUST STOP... stop clicking on this thread,  stop repeating your opinion, stop trying to dictate what people have to say and where they say it , stop offering empty apologies with "yeah but" clauses...
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

SaraBananaBear

QuoteI feel a bit responsible in helping to shift the topic from music towards pure politics. That said, I offer no apology for sharing my views on an important topic and appreciate that Sarah BB started the thread (and I appreciate her contributions throughout the site on other topics as well!).    

Onigokkin, it might be valuable for you to consider opinions and views on the world around you from sources other than the news and mainstream media.   I for one, love the fact that I can come to a site of relatively like minded people and understand their views on a varity of issues, regardless of whether those views agree with mine (and no onigokkin, your posts don't constitute constructive sharing of views).  

That said, as you claim to "not give a shit" about the topic...JUST STOP... stop clicking on this thread,  stop repeating your opinion, stop trying to dictate what people have to say and where they say it , stop offering empty apologies with "yeah but" clauses...

Oh I didn't think that was a problem at all, your post was definitely more than relevant to the subject. I've been meaning to write a response to the npr stories you posted, but I've been busy with school and also it's sometimes a bit hard for me to phrase it in English... But some quick thoughts would be that it was very interesting to read, mostly sad though. And prison for children? They send children to prison? If I understood this correctly then I'm shocked. I mean sure, the US is the only country in the world other than Somalia to not have signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, but really?  :-?

SaraBananaBear

Oh and also I've been meaning to say, thanks for all the kind words in this thread, peaches and love to you from Sweden.  :)

SaraBananaBear

Oh and I think it was the studio version.