Evil Urges Resurgence!!!

Started by touchingmept2, Apr 22, 2011, 10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingmept2

As of late I've been seeing alot of mixed reviews about Evil Urges. Now I'm gonna go out on a limb, like I've done in the past, and admit that Evil Urges is my favorite release from Jimmy James and Co. I guess since it was released during a crucial time in my life and during an important time in American history as well. I remember being so psyched at seeing the songs from EU performed live. I remember listening to 'Librarian' over and over. I recall that  the official release was June 10th, my bday (08 being the year I turned 21 hehe). This album was so awesome because it was truly all over the place. I know that I'm not the only  one that feels this way!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

e_wind

I feel ya man. The worst of the best in a way, but I love it. I throw it on sometimes and am always reassured it's amazing
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

At Dawn and It Still Moves were what got me into them in 2004, had the same kinda feeling you have now,  was 20 at the time, etc.  the spark was lit.  then they got fucking weird ala Z then Evil Urges.  now the evil urges generation is finally merging with the collective.  I do not think there is any denial that there are great songs on Evil Urges.  Their best tho?  you're fucking crazy n00b.

patrickbateman

It's impossible for me to pick a favorite. But I have to say, Evil Urges is an amazing album. This is further established every time I listen to the record in full. Always a different experience.

SaraBananaBear

I think it's impossible to pick a favorite album, but Evil Urges is just as lovely as all the others and I don't understand people saying otherwise. ???
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

touchingmept2

Well it just sounds like a very tight, clean ::) record. I mean who could deny the Zeppelinesque breakdown of the title track?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Apr 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
Well it just sounds like a very tight, clean ::) record. I mean who could deny the Zeppelinesque breakdown of the title track?

Evil Urges production style bothers me a lot.  I respect their desire to do things differently but in the end I think their sound is better on other records.  The songs are good and everything but something about the production really bores me on that CD.  Or perhaps it's the "valley" of mellow tunes they put in the middle of the CD, glad we're about to start the Circuital Tour.  that evil urges set frame seems like it's been around for a few years now.   

bigkidfallsdown.com

There are some tune on evil urges that I love - they are on every mix made aroud that time. I couldn't pick a best/favorite but where I go to in my head is sitting in my old room at my parents in '03 listening to It Still Moves and Sigur Ros non-stop and drinking heineken.

It didn't occur to me then that I was listening to the band that I would carry with me the rat of my life. Very thankful for having their tunes.
11.10.07 Knoxville, TN • Bonnarroo '08 • MoF 10.31.09 Louisville, KY • 8.17.10 Chicago, IL

el_chode

i can because that is Phish-esque (Guyute), less Zeppelin
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 23, 2011, 12:55 PM

Evil Urges production style bothers me a lot.  I respect their desire to do things differently but in the end I think their sound is better on other records.  The songs are good and everything but something about the production really bores me on that CD.  Or perhaps it's the "valley" of mellow tunes they put in the middle of the CD, glad we're about to start the Circuital Tour.  that evil urges set frame seems like it's been around for a few years now.   

Nail on head

touchingmept2

Well rain on my parade hahaha.

el_chode

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Apr 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
Well rain on my parade hahaha.

Well it's totally plausible that being phish-esque is inherently zeppelin-esque as far as style.

i just use that part of the song to sell my Phish friends on MMJ. works like a charm

midwesterner

I actually enjoy Evil Urges a lot more than I did when it was released and I find myself listening to it more these days than a few of the other albums but still overall it is my least favorite MMJ album.

touchingmept2

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 22, 2011, 11:39 PM
At Dawn and It Still Moves were what got me into them in 2004, had the same kinda feeling you have now,  was 20 at the time, etc.  the spark was lit.  then they got fucking weird ala Z then Evil Urges.  now the evil urges generation is finally merging with the collective.  I do not think there is any denial that there are great songs on Evil Urges.  Their best tho?  you're fucking crazy n00b.
The part about when they "got fucking weird ala Z and Evil Urges" is  you being sarcastic, right Stinky? ;D

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Apr 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 22, 2011, 11:39 PM
The part about when they "got fucking weird ala Z and Evil Urges" is  you being sarcastic, right Stinky? ;D

heyo!

DaFunkyPrecedent

My Morning Jacket sucks now.
God damn those shaky knees.