Where my morning jacket  will be in 2006

Started by MMJ---JMM, Feb 24, 2006, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMillionDreams

so what's the news?  Personally I think that MMJ is past opening for anyone unless it's one of the big three U2, Rolling Stones, or Dylan.  Pealr Jam SHOULD open for them or Wilco maybe even bright eyes or m
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

marino13

If the PJ thing happens, I just hope Eddie's politics and self-important BS don't rub off on the boys.  Pearl Jam used to be my favorite band but I quit following them because I couldn't stomach Ed anymore. :(

phletch

QuoteIf the PJ thing happens, I just hope Eddie's politics and self-important BS don't rub off on the boys.  Pearl Jam used to be my favorite band but I quit following them because I couldn't stomach Ed anymore. :(
I hear ya on that, and I think the new album is gonna be largely political.  I've come to accept it though, so many artists in the past have been into pushing their political view.  I just try and tune it out now.  After all, if I based liking a band on everything they did and not only their music, I probably wouldn't like any.

Also, didn't MMJ play the Vote for Change tour in '04?

phletch

Quoteso what's the news?  Personally I think that MMJ is past opening for anyone unless it's one of the big three U2, Rolling Stones, or Dylan.  Pealr Jam SHOULD open for them or Wilco maybe even bright eyes or m
The news out of PJ yesterday wasn't tour news, they just announced the new album is coming May 2.  Tour news is supposed to come March 7th.

osoZ

Some of these comments are quite funny.  Pearl Jam should open for MMJ.  Dont get me wrong, I LOVE both bands, but lets get real...

You realize Pearl Jam did 24 shows in North America in 2005.  They sold out all of them in minutes basically.  These were not "club" shows, these were 10,000 seat + arenas on average.  They followed that up with a healthy dose of shows in South America that had just as much success.  They are one of a few bands in the world that can launch a successful arena tour without a significant opening band.  They did it in 2000, 2003, and again in 2006 if they choose to.

IF MMJ is the opener as heavily rumored, this can lead to NOTHING but good things for MMJ.  I am sure MOST would  prefer the regular 2,000 capacity shows full length shows, but ultimately I think this will benefit the band more.  It will get them the exposure they deserve.  I think a lot of people underestimate the Pearl Jam fanbase.  It is a fan club with an estimated 75,000-100,000 ACTIVE fan club members.  Which is full of people that go to SHOW after SHOW after SHOW.  The beauty of Pearl Jam is their live show.  No standard setlist.  You can see them 3 nights in a row and hear 65 different songs.  There are a FEW standards, namely Evenflow...but it is VERY minimal.

Regardless I hope it is true.  I would love to catch MMJ before the 4-6 PJ shows I attend.  If it isnt true, I will probably catch MMJ at least once otherwise...no big deal.  I just think in the long run opening would be the best thing they could do...I just want an opener that I actually like for once.

fitzcarraldo

Tell me about it, I'm getting sick of Sleater Kinney opening up for em.

ratsprayer

QuoteTell me about it, I'm getting sick of Sleater Kinney opening up for em.

youre sick of hot chicks who fucking rock?  interesting....

phletch

QuoteSome of these comments are quite funny.  Pearl Jam should open for MMJ.  Dont get me wrong, I LOVE both bands, but lets get real...

You realize Pearl Jam did 24 shows in North America in 2005.  They sold out all of them in minutes basically.  These were not "club" shows, these were 10,000 seat + arenas on average.  They followed that up with a healthy dose of shows in South America that had just as much success.  They are one of a few bands in the world that can launch a successful arena tour without a significant opening band.  They did it in 2000, 2003, and again in 2006 if they choose to.

IF MMJ is the opener as heavily rumored, this can lead to NOTHING but good things for MMJ.  I am sure MOST would  prefer the regular 2,000 capacity shows full length shows, but ultimately I think this will benefit the band more.  It will get them the exposure they deserve.  I think a lot of people underestimate the Pearl Jam fanbase.  It is a fan club with an estimated 75,000-100,000 ACTIVE fan club members.  Which is full of people that go to SHOW after SHOW after SHOW.  The beauty of Pearl Jam is their live show.  No standard setlist.  You can see them 3 nights in a row and hear 65 different songs.  There are a FEW standards, namely Evenflow...but it is VERY minimal.

Regardless I hope it is true.  I would love to catch MMJ before the 4-6 PJ shows I attend.  If it isnt true, I will probably catch MMJ at least once otherwise...no big deal.  I just think in the long run opening would be the best thing they could do...I just want an opener that I actually like for once.

Well said.

I would love to see MMJ as a headliner myself, but this is the next best thing for me, because I will already be going to 3-4 PJ shows most likely.

Half

but i done went and plum forgot it

MMJ_fanatic

bacflips cartwheels and struts  ;)  (not to mention quivers with anticipation!)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MYarvoCARDO

Quotethe jacket shouldnt be opening for anyone, IMO.  i say this because a) theyre good enough to be the headliner, and b) ive really really really tried to give PJ a chance, and they don't do it for me.  

if MMJ opened for someone like radiohead, ok, id give in.   ;)

No they are not quite big enough to headline the shows that they will be playing with pearl jam.

Pearl jam are an amazing live act...My Moring Jacket will learn a few things from them

MYarvoCARDO

Quoteso what's the news?  Personally I think that MMJ is past opening for anyone unless it's one of the big three U2, Rolling Stones, or Dylan.  Pealr Jam SHOULD open for them or Wilco maybe even bright eyes or m

Tell me you are not serious!!!   ??? I love My Morning Jacket but be realistic...Pearl Jam opening for them? Man Pearl Jam have sold over 60,000,000 million records and consistently sellout Tours.

Believe me it's the right way around.

artjam

Yes, what a bittersweet announcement this was. I am first, foremost, and always will be a hardcore Pearl Jam fan. I have also entertained the idea for about 3 years now that MMJ has the potential to be one of my top 5 (and they are well on their way!). So this  would be a nonstop facemelting rockgasm for me......but.......... the first leg of the PJ tour isnt gonna grace the south with its presence. So i have my fingers crossed for a 3rd PJ leg  after the europe tour, but what are the chances they will have another favorite like MMJ opening. Been a bummer of a day!  Maybe i should bite the bullet and drive from Charlotte to DC or Pittsburgh.
wave to all my friends
they dont seem to notice me

jrat

bite that damned bullet. chew it like a stick of gum and return it to the earth as the mineral deposite it once was. youll regret it all your life if you dont
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

osoZ

Well I am equally bummed that I wont get to see 2 of my favorites bands together.  Pearl Jam LOVES to get the openers out for collaborations so all hardcore MMJ fans should know that.  With that said the tour just cant happen for me.  The closest show is in Cleveland or Chicago and they are nearly 700 miles away.  While this would normally not be an obstical for me, no way I can get the appropriate amount of time off from work to go(only because May is a really hectic month and no time off is given so you take your days off when you can get them).  Not to mention my wife is due with our first child in early June...

On the bright side Nashville is only 85 miles from where I live, so Rites of Spring festival here I come...just not the same as hearing Eddie sing along on Golden, or the guys chiming in on Rocking in the Free World...oh well maybe another time(not likely...).