Vote for Jimmy James!!

Started by JacketGirl, Mar 02, 2006, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacketGal

Do the Paste Mag's poll of the 100 Best Living Songwriters:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/

;D ;D ;D ;D
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

ratsprayer

i chose my 20, but i didnt do what the topic title told me to.  

jim is awesome, and mmj are my current favourite group by far, but i can't see picking jim along with tom waits, nick cave, leonard cohen, bob dylan, stephen malkmus, and some of the others i chose.  if it was based on fanboy merit, he'd have nearly all my votes though.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

sweatboard

This is impossible.  I couldn't pick just 20.  They should have made it "best songwriters of the last 10 years or something.

Sufjan Stevens
Jim James
Andrew Bird
M. Ward
Isaac Brock
Thom York/Collin Greenwood
Patterson Hood, Jason Isabell, Mike Cooley
Beck
Sam Beam
Chan Marshall
Brit Daniels
Jeff Tweedy
Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips)
Mark Kozelek
Devandra Banhardt

There's Still Time.........

primushead

Damn...VERY tough list.  I'm glad they had Jeff Mangum on there.  He is fuckin' incredible.

ratsprayer

QuoteDamn...VERY tough list.  I'm glad they had Jeff Mangum on there.  He is fuckin' incredible.

i never would have guessed you thought that based on your avatar.   ;D

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Mr. T.

I'm happy they included Damien Jurado. He's one of my favourites.

I do believe Jim deserves his place on the top 20. I can't think of anyone who wrote a better song than Golden this century.
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI can't think of anyone who wrote a better song than Golden this century.

;D
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

sideroad32

QuoteI'm happy they included Damien Jurado. He's one of my favourites.

Yeah Mr Jurado doesn't get the notice he deserves.  Really great song writer.

ChiefOKONO

Done and done!!!
thanks Jacketgirl!! :D

Chills

QuoteThis is impossible.  I couldn't pick just 20.  They should have made it "best songwriters of the last 10 years or something.

Right, this is a weird list.
And it needs Willy Vlautin (Richmond Fontaine).

ratsprayer

i did a write in for will sheff (okkervil river) and greg dulli (afghan whigs, twilight singers).  okkervil river is a newer band in the past few years, but i dont see how the fuck greg dulli was left off with some of the other choices they had on there??

Dee.

QuoteGo Don Henley!!!  ;)
Surely you mean Daryl Hall & John Oates!

Why no Devendra on the list?  His songs mean a lot to me, m'kay, Paste?  And can I get a little Joey Burns from Calexico up on dat?  Great, thanks.  :)

Thanks for posting it, JacketGirl.

blainesanders

man... i gotta agree...
there are some GREAT ones on there, but IMO jim james is up there with the elite... i mean i know MMJ is a case of "you get it or you don't", but name me 1 song this guy has that is "bad"...
there are some i like more than others, BUT there are some that just rule your face...
almost ANYONE that hears "the way he sings" will want to hear it over and over!!

SFTH

The quantity and quality of the songs is what impresses me most about the Jacket.  

Jim's written how many songs in the last 8 years or so?  And I've yet to hear one that's not, at the very least, a solid song.

The only person that wrote as many songs without a clunker, that I can think of off hand, is Bob Marley.