State Theater 10/17/05

Started by eriggy, Oct 17, 2005, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eriggy

Looks like no one has brought last night's show up... So Two-Tone Tommy apparently had a bad shellfish incident and went to the ER. The monitor guy announced this after Kathleen Edwards and before MMJ was going on and offered people 10 minutes to leave and get their money back in the wanted. Maybe one or two people left from where I could see.

I had never heard or seen MMJ before last night. I had read about their latest album and ended up discovering them by way of one of my favorite artists, M Ward. Everywhere I read about them, it said their live show was amazing.

It was. Never having heard the band, I didn't know what I was missing with Tom out (he showed up for the last couple of songs, but seemed frail at best). I absolutely loved the energy they put out. The lighting suited the their theatrics perfectly. There were no props as I could see, nor need there be.

Anyhow, I wouldn't normally like their sound, but I think seeing them live before hearing their new album was the perfect way to be introduced. Now I will picture the gigantic feel of their new songs as I heard them. And what a surprise it will be to hear them with bass!

Well done, guys. Can't wait to see you with all your members in full form!

Emily
Dover, NH

peanut butter puddin surprise

everyone send some good vibes tommy's way...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

chris

Oh damn. hope tommy is feelin better.

did they alter the setlist a lot, or what actually happened?

a lot of jim solo stuff?

did kathleen edwards bassist play with them maybe?
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

eriggy

I'm not at all familiar with their work, so I'm not really sure what was different than their usual show. Kathleen Edwards came out for one song to do harmonies. She picked up the bass and feigned playing it, but didn't really. Her bassist did not come out and play.

One of the reasons I was so impressed with them was that the drummer carried so much of the weight on the low end, with some support from the keyboardist.

kerri

It seemed like they played the setlist they had already planned, just without Tommy. Patrick did an amazing job holding up the low end. Tommy was missed but the guys rocked regardless. I've read articles where they talk about how this band is like a machine, an entity unto iself that just lives and operates on its own, and that's kind of how it felt last night.

Here's most of the setlist (not in order):

Wordless Chorus
The Dark
Gideon
One Big Holiday
What a Wonderful Man
Off the Record
Anytime
Golden (with Kathleen Edwards singing and trying to play the bass but chickening out)
Just One Thing
Magheeta
Don Dante
Steam Engine
a cover I wasn't familiar with

Tommy came out for the encore dressed in his hospital gown. Hope he's feeling ok today. I wished they would've played one or two more, but Tommy was probably still feeling a little green around the gills.

SpacedCowboy

I've been meaning to post but I've been in class all day (9 am till still here)...  Went to Boston on Saturday (hometown), and made the trek up to Portland last night to keep the good vibes going.  It was sad to hear that Tommy was sick, but they guys overcompensated to make up for it.  Setlist was generally the same as it has been except they didn't play "It beats 4 U", or "Lay Low".  We did get "The Dark" as our 2nd song which was a definite treat and "Steam Engine" with Jim on the Acoustic closed out the set.  "Wordless Chorus" and "Don Dante" were also highlights.  Jim's singing was unbelievable on "Worless Chorus" and at the end of Don Dante Jim and Carl had a duel of sorts with Jim on the geetar and Carl on the sax that I haven't heard before.  Tripple T came out in hospital gown for the typcial 4 song encore, he looked tired but it was good to see him out and playing after hearing the bad news.  I wanna type more but I should get back to class.  Maybe I'll post more impressions later...
and the pump don't work cause the vandal took the handle

ratsprayer

definite good vibes to tommy, and everyone else to hope they stay out of harm's (or shellfish's) way.  

let's hope theyre in a 'steam engine' type of mood on thursday....     [smiley=guitar.gif]

Kate the skate

The band put on a wonderful show...and I can't imagine how great a full set would have sounded with the bassist. I'm glad practically the entire crowd stuck around!

bold99

I saw both shows sat and sunday, and was lucky enough to hear the band to soundcheck sunday during the day, the boston show was great, they really rocked that place, sunday in portland, they had some issues, tommy being out and some techincal stuff, but they turned it around and really upped the energy, then tommy came out in his hosipal clothes which was a riot, i really love the nick drake cover northern sky they do....
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ycartrob

Conway, you still looking for people to join the Gorton Fisherman's Brigade in light of Tommy's battle with a clam? :-/

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteConway, you still looking for people to join the Gorton Fisherman's Brigade in light of Tommy's battle with a clam?

See, we here at the Brigade are catching those dern clams and getting revenge on all things aquatic for Tommy's bout with them... :o
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there