Started by LaurieBlue, May 27, 2006, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2006/05/2618.cfm

My Morning Jacket Are Back On Track
Friday May 26, 2006 @ 06:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

My Morning Jacket  

My Morning Jacket's hometown of Louisville, Kentucky likes to do things big. The city is home to massive events such as the Kentucky Derby, the largest annual fireworks display in the U.S., the fifth largest hot air balloon festival south of our border and even The Lebowski Fest for fans of The Big Lebowski.

But don't let these big festivals fool you. They're not an indicator of how MMJ like to do things. They just like to do things right.

"Maybe these big things have an effect unconsciously on our music, but I think if there's any effect of the region where you live, it's unconscious," says guitarist Carl Broemel of the band's sprawling sound.

"It's not like, 'Hey, I live in Louisville, we do things big here, let's play big.' I think it's just a result of the evolution of the band. Through all the people that played in the band, how all the songs are coming together."

Broemel, who lives in Nashville, quickly went from the guy who was just filling in (when members Johnny Quaid and Danny Cash left MMJ in 2004) to the guy who simply fit, to playing on last year's Z, and now touring. The band are back on the road after taking a break while singer/songwriter Jim James recuperated from a serious bout with pneumonia.

"When Jim got sick, it was out of our hands," Broemel says. "It's just one of those things where you can't really cry over it.

"We were just all concerned that he was feeling sick and run down, and I think we were worried, not necessarily about what's happening in the months that we were off, but more, what's going to happen in the next five years.

"If someone needs to stop and heal or go get married or do whatever they do to keep their life together aside from the band, then that's first priority. So we had to cancel some things and that was pretty hard, but really not hard at the same time."

Now that James has fully recovered, MMJ have hit the road with Pearl Jam, at the Seattle band's request, for the first leg of their North American tour.

The group recently released a B-sides and demos collection and will soon put out a live CD/DVD of a concert recorded at The Fillmore in San Francisco last November.

"It has it's own life," says Broemel of the group. "People come and go, and that's OK. The band will do what it needs to do to get from here to there."

—Phil Villeneuve

Meddle

Based on this article, it seems that the live CD will be the same San. Fran. recording....
...And Some Are Angels...

tdan

I'm kinda hoping that they make it a dual-product like Guster's Live DVD/CD Guster On Ice.  Once case, one price, both discs.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

MyLifeISought

I hope they don't do one of these things where there's different material on the two.... If something's on the DVD, i want to pop it into my car and rock out as well
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco