best live Don Dante?   - poll

Started by paintaneight, Jan 15, 2006, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Form91225

fyi, they did ACL less than 48 hours after the Dallas show and just a few days before the homecoming gig. seems like they were in the groove.

theonlyone

QuoteListen to the Dallas version (11/18/05)....if you can find it...

Do you have a copy of this?  I would love to get it!!!!  'Twas my first live Jacket experience!

NJ2KY

Well it may or may not be the best version ever, but i'd have to say the version from the 9:30 Club - Washington, D.C. October 10th, 2005.  

Its the only time i've seen it live and well i've listen to the web-cast about 50 times.  So yeah thats my pick.
the memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime.

sweatboard

QuoteWell it may or may not be the best version ever, but i'd have to say the version from the 9:30 Club - Washington, D.C. October 10th, 2005.  

Its the only time i've seen it live and well i've listen to the web-cast about 50 times.  So yeah thats my pick.

Hey are you going to catch Pearl Jam and My Morning Jacket on this upcoming tour?
There's Still Time.........

thatdarngirl

La Zona Rosa, Austin TX November 17th 2005.

lionking

well i just got back from bonnaroo 06, and i specifically remember after they played dondante, leaning over to my friend and saying "that was worth the 180 dollars right there".  ive only seen dondante live once before this, but i know it was not at all like this unreal version from bonnaroo 06.  the song began with carl on the sax, and had a different kind of jazzy rhythm, and i think a different beginning bassline until the second verse. carl held down the sax during the verses and didnt even pick up the guitar until right before the little mini bendy guitar riff before the You had me worried rock out part.  after this they preceded to tear the house down with epic guitar and jim vocals for at least 5 minutes of rock.  they eventually died down, and carl went back and picked up his sax and slowly winding the song down with at least another 2 minutes of saxophone goodness.  i had no timer, but considering the bonnaroo set was from 12pm-3am, i highly believe it clocked in at somewhere around fifteen minutes. fucking unbelievable. they were at the top of their game that night, and seriously dropped some jaws.  if anyone else was at this show, i wanna hear your opinion of it.  anyway, bonnaroo 06 is my vote.

Angry Ewok

There are two different versions of Don Dante. So I'm not even sure which version of the song I like, much less which performance...

We have the studio version, and we have the redux that, from what I understand, was first played at Vanderbilt this year, and then at Northwestern University... Unfortunately, I've never seen the Vanderbilt show (or even the portions of it) up for grabs online... but as we were all clamored up front, it really was the most incredible thing I had ever heard... Jim James tore into the guitar in a way I had never seen him do before... he was a madman...

Studio version - Bonnaroo 2005
This is my favorite just because of its impact on the crowd... Not only did it really stir me up and give me goosebumps, but some folks who were actually going to walk past MMJ's stage on the way to see someone else stopped in their tracks to hear this lion of a man hit these soft notes... furious screams... guitar absolutely wailing and howling... then of course the sax is perfect at the end.  

Redux - Vanderbilt 2006
I hope someday a recording of this surfaces for all of those who were unable to see it firsthand... I sure wish I didn't have to rely on my shot-up memory, too.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.