Wonderful video of "The Bear" at Bonnaroo 06

Started by folded_fawn, Jul 12, 2006, 10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

folded_fawn

I might as well go ahead and share this story.  The first song that I heard by the band was "The Bear" a few years back.  It will always be one of my top 5 songs of all time, it really means the world to me.  This was my seventh time seeing them at Roo 06, and they had yet to play my favorite song.  I would not let it slip away this time!  Before we left for Bonnaroo, I bought a medium-sized stuffed bear.  I kept it in my backpack all day on Friday at Bonnaroo, along with a piece of paper, a sharpie and some tape.  I skipped out of Tom Petty completely to sit against the rail and wait for the Jacket, along with many of you.  While I sat and waited, I wrote on the paper "PLEASE PLAY THE BEAR" and taped it around the stuffed bear.  When Jim came out for the soundcheck, I threw it onstage to him.  He said "Thank you beary much" and gave me a wink.  He later grabbed the bear and sang to it during the set.  Yes.  Considering how much time the band had to play that night, they were probably going to play the song anyway, but I'd like to think I influenced them to play it just a little bit. :)

Anyway, when they played it, my friend Jessica whipped out her camera and filmed it.  We just got it uploaded on YouTube, and it turned out amazingly well.  One of the best looking and sounding videos I've seen from this year's Bonnaroo performance.  Andrew Bird's violin soars with the band.  I would like to share it with you all.  I hope you enjoy it.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEOQb_fFNYA

dragonboy

Great story, great video clip! Thanks for posting  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

October

i love this band and am continually reminded by videos like this

Dee.

The Lay Low bear!  Good work, folded_fawn!  I got a kick out of watching that on video.  Thanks for sharing the story and video. ;D

TEO

Folded-great video, thanx! Too bad we weren't sitting next to each other for that four hour wait, as my neighbor was about as talkative as a Basenji.
(((((((DONDANTE)))))))
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

cmccubbin25

QuoteFolded-great video, thanx! Too bad we weren't sitting next to each other for that four hour wait, as my neighbor was about as talkative as a Basenji.
(((((((DONDANTE)))))))

at least you got to get there early...my friend was more concerned about finding "substances" than trying to get to the Jacket early...needless to say...i wasn't happy!
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

primushead

Yeah, that story rocks!

I've thought about doing stuff like that before (throwing messages to the band at the appropriate time) but its never materialized.  I'm glad yours worked out.

Good vid, too.

whothrewthecake

great video, love the story. thank you beary much rules

JacketGal

Omg, that story is so great. Thank you for sharing that and the vid!!

The Bear is one damn fine song.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

ChiefOKONO

THat is soooo coool! thanks so much for sharing the video!!!
it brought back so many good memories...

thanks for the heads up jacketgirl!!   :D

Jack_Pine_Warbler

That's just the way I remember it. Probably because we were standing a few feet from each other. I was with three other guys from Michigan, we rotated spots against the fence. I remember meeting you, and the four hour wait.

Well worth it!

SMc55

Great story - what a great memory for you.
Thanks for the video  :D

jrat

That story made my day. the video was sick too, in the most healthy way of course.hopefully ill get a chance to one day do somehting almost as awesome. KNOW THIS! im green with envy
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

Yatz

I sat for hours a few feet away from you and saw the "bear toss."  Thank you for any possible influence that you had on the set (I think you helped).  I would rather watch MMJ set up their stuff than watch most bands play.  Any one else?
[url="//www.myspace.com/travistalbert"]www.myspace.com/travistalbert[/url]

Yatz

I forgot to mention that this was my 4th time watching them, and the first time they played "The Bear."  It's my favorite alongside "Steam Engine," which I still haven't heard live.  It was the high point of the set for me with "It Makes No Difference" a close second.
[url="//www.myspace.com/travistalbert"]www.myspace.com/travistalbert[/url]