Main Menu

Wax Fang!!!!!

Started by sweatboard, Nov 15, 2006, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Don't miss them!!!!!!!!  I was genuinely impressed.  I got to see them three times (Knoxville, Atlanta, and Nashville) and I loved them more and more each time.  Great songs and MY GOD does the drummer bring it (Patrick was seen to the side of the stage air drumming along).  The guitar player/lead singer does some amazing stuff with a Theremin while playing the guitar that can not be missed.  I'm a big fan of that kind of "spacey" guitar playing and he delivers big time.  I found myself singing along to their songs in Atlanta and by the time I got to the The Ryman I was just giddy about seeing them again.  Amazing energy and they play extremly well together.  I'm now a true Wax Fang fan.  Also, the lead singers outfit at the Ryman was truly a beautiful thing to behold.

There's Still Time.........

cmccubbin@work

any info on the band's background?

just curious about their story up to this point!

and yeah...they were great in ATL!  the guitarist, Scott Carney, was pretty awesome!  he had great riffs and that wireless thing he played that somehow affected his guitar was sweet!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

DD

kevin ratterman is the drummer.  he used to drum for elliot and raze (maybe more).  raze became vhs or beta.  he is one of the best drummers ive ever seen for sure and his kit is GIANT AND PINK!  jake, the bass player, was in louisville band cabin but im not sure what else he has done.  i never knew scott until he came back from i think pittsburg where he went to school and have no idea what other bands and stuff hes played in.

from what i know kevin helped scott remix the record he did (if im not mistaken scott plays almost everything including drums on the album) and fell in love with the music.  scott needed a backing band and the rest is history.  they have been one of my favorite local bands since i saw scott play solo opening for barbez a year ago or so.  his friends were running 16mm films behind him that went along with the song and it was amazing.  occasionally they still do this with the full band.  these guys really are just a fucking amazing band.  not only are the songs great their execution is just over the top badass.  any jacket fans really SHOULD be sure to get there early to catch these guys.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

corey

They definitely put on a good show.
I was impressed that the drummer was able to play the keyboard and keep a beat on that one song.

He used some sort of sequencer for a couple of keyboard parts as well as a guitar part at one point. DD, do you have any insight into what that was if you've seen them up close?

Cmccubbin, are you talking about the theremin? It was set up on a suitcase beside him at the Ryman. He would wave his hand over it and it would make all these crazy sounds. If we're talking about the same thing, it's a theremin. Very neat piece of equipment...

http://www.myspace.com/waxfang

There are pics from LebowskiFest on their MySpace page. They are dressed up as the dudes with the big scissors chasing after the Dude in his dream.

cmccubbin@work

Corey, yes..that was what i was talking about!  can you explain to me how it works? i guess i could just get on wikipedia...
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

cmccubbin@work

corey

I just scanned through the link.
I'm sure there was some rhyme and reason to how he was using it the other night, but it looked to me like he just waved at it the other night in some of the more rocking parts to add some chaos to the songs.
It also had more of a squelch to it than most of the theremins that I've heard. I wonder if it was running through some effects.

bug

So there is a musical instrument that you play by waving at it it?  Well that sounds like something I could do!  Who wants to be in my band?
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

BH

QuoteSo there is a musical instrument that you play by waving at it it?  Well that sounds like something I could do!  Who wants to be in my band?
;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bug

;D Are you in?  I'll sing and wave at the theremin and you can dance and play the triangle.  
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

ycartrob

QuoteSo there is a musical instrument that you play by waving at it it?  Well that sounds like something I could do!  Who wants to be in my band?

I'm a natural on the kazoo. Plus, I can tap my foot (feet).

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

they used to be called scott carney and his heavy friends.  Jim mentioned them under that name in the New York Times not too long ago.  Glad to hear you all are digging them, I was about to ask before I saw this thread.

BH

I'm definately diggin' them.  Like I said before, they remind me a little bit of the Buthole Surfers, who I love.   Does anybody know if they have been playing Bi Polar Bear?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=94576446

Angry Ewok

They played that in Atlanta, possibly Ryman as well...

What was their opening song, and where can I find a download of it? Anything up on archive.org yet?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

corey

They played "Bi-Polar Bear" at the Ryman.
Great song and melody. It's been stuck in my head for days.

aMillionDreams

BUMP!

EDIT: Crap! I thought this was the other music section.  Oops.

EDIT#2: Thanks for moving it, CC.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

el_chode

I, for one, am glad to see the thread title no longer includes "NEW ALBUM OUT NOW" because I no longer have a slight heart attack every time I log on to the boards
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

I'm streaming from archive and noticed that all the recordings are from 2007. Are there any more recent live recordings floating around?
I'm surrounded by assholes

aMillionDreams

Unfortunately not a whole lot outside of the Purple Rain set from Zanzabar:
http://37flood.blogspot.com/2010/05/wax-fang-exclusive-purple-rain-set.html

This thread needs more video:
LIVE SERIES: Wax Fang "The Doctor Will See You Now"
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]