Three years ago today...

Started by cmasters, Oct 01, 2006, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmasters

...I saw my first My Morning Jacket concert at the Ranch Bowl in Omaha Nebraska, October 1 2003. I bought my first MMJ cd that September prior to seeing them live off a whim. I had remembered seeing/hearing them on that you hear it first thing on MTV when At Dawn was out but that was it. It Still Moves was cool when I bought it but then on Oct 1 when I saw them, along with probably roughly 50 other people I was blown away. They played with a local band, Marianas, from Lincoln Nebraska and The Sleepy Jackson. Both of which were great. After the show I bought a T-shirt, a sticker and At Dawn. I was hooked. Since that show I have seen them six times and this will be the first year since that show that I haven't seen them live.

I knew you guys would like to hear my nostalgia and that it was that night that solidfied My Morning Jacket as the best band I had ever seen/heard. Their sound was so fresh and different from everything I had ever heard, so honest and true. They could rock and soothe. I was amazed and hooked. Thanks MMJ for becoming such a big part of my music listening experience 3 years ago today. I'll never forget that show and seeing the band for the first time (and the only time with that original line-up.

I have some photos on my website/blog from that night three years ago at http://clay.shinybitterpeople.com/ So please feel free to stop by & take a gander.

ChiefOKONO

THanks for posting, i enjoyed reading and seeing your pictures. Hopefully you will get to see them soon.

what do you think of okonokos?

cmasters

I like it a lot, I don't think it really showcases their live sound... I don't know why, I can't really put my finger on it, but I do really dig it. The "Lowdown" cut and the "One Big Holiday" cut are awesome. I'm amazed how much more you hear the keyboard in the live versions of OBH. Also Don Dante was really cool... what do you think?

ChiefOKONO

i think its fantastic.. they really captured it well and the sound quality is amazing. most live bootlegs i have aren't that great and its good to have something finally that is.

disc 2 just totally blows me away.. steam engine, O, xmas, don dante... holy shinola!!!

suebeeboo

QuoteTheir sound was so fresh and different from everything I had ever heard, so honest and true. They could rock and soothe. I was amazed and hooked. Thanks MMJ for becoming such a big part of my music listening experience...

I couldn't have said it better!  I'm so happy to have "found" these guys!  I love em!
other times I can barely see

megisnotreal

Three years ago today, I was front and center at City Hall, rocking out and having the time of my life.