Bonnaroo Artist Announcement Feb. 14

Started by The_DARK, Feb 09, 2007, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

QuoteTry to go see Gogol Bordello. You may not care for their music all that much, but they will give a performance that you will not soon forget. A little fodder for the campsite discussions so to speak.......    

agreed - somebody told me about them because of my devotchka love, and i was not disappointed.  they're really rad.

and i agree with the sentiments above, bonnaroo is awesome.  period.  if i lived closer i would go every year.  i would even camp there when the festival wasn't happening.  (and i would run around relishing the space. ;))  

sideroad32

Agreed check out Golgo Bordello.  Like i said before one of two main reasons i'm going to go is them.

ellisintransit

"But why would a band like MMJ even want to follow up this year?  We've seen them grow with each year at Bonnaroo and it's given us music to love. Take a break, spread it around to other festivals and venues, work on the next album, the next move.  Bonnaroo has seen the show, and it was GREAT! I doubt they'll even be there this year.  But let's be happy about what's to come instead.  Am I wrong?[/quote]

There's clearly a large contingent of people who don't care that last year was a crowning acheivment.  And the year before.  And the year before that.  (Sorry if that comes across as snarky, I don't mean it to.)  All I mean to say is that everyone knows that no matter what the time of day, no matter what the stage, and no matter how long the set, My Morning Jacket is one of THE defining bands of Bonnaroo, and will bring one hell of a show no matter the circumstances.  Has everyone seen the petiton on the inforoo message board?  It makes me feel even better about loving this band.  There are many more converts than I could have imagined.

That said, the rest of your points make sense to me, especially about looking forward to what's coming in the future.  If they don't make it, definitely not the end of the world, but if they do, they'll rip.  In the meantime, about the only thing that's left to conquer is a Main Stage slot.  I could see that happening this year and them sitting out a couple of years after that.  

sideroad32

I for one would not want to see MMJ on the main stage.  It would be great exposure, but its harder to get anywhere near the front at the main stage, unless you stay there all day and miss a lot of other bands.  
But it would be great for them i suppose.

ItsCalledTheDark22

NOT ONE BAND FROM LAST YEAR IS ON THE 2007 SETLIST YET!!! SO THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT WHEN THEY ANNOUNCE MORE, MMJ WILL BE THERE

sweatboard

I could have sworn Kings Of Leon was there last year????
There's Still Time.........

cmccubbin@work

QuoteI could have sworn Kings Of Leon was there last year????

nope...they didn't perform, but they took a helicopter there to watch.
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

sweatboard

There are no words to describe how awesome that is.  It would have been even better if they all took seperate helicopters and they all looked like this....

did they repel out or did they land that thing somewhere?

cmccubbin@work

ha ha...that is freakin' sweet!

and i assume they landed...repelling (sp?) would mess up their hair.
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

sweatboard

repelling (sp?) would mess up their hair.

ha, so true.

TEO

QuoteTry to go see Gogol Bordello. You may not care for their music all that much, but they will give a performance that you will not soon forget. A little fodder for the campsite discussions so to speak.......    

agreed - somebody told me about them because of my devotchka love, and i was not disappointed.  they're really rad.

and i agree with the sentiments above, bonnaroo is awesome.  period.  if i lived closer i would go every year.  i would even camp there when the festival wasn't happening.  (and i would run around relishing the space. ;))  

Bonnaroo is awesome! As I told my wife this morning, I could make it fun if Alvin and The Chipmunks were the only band performing. Don't worry so much about the bands, just go for the experience. (Although I too am sad about MMJ, but my gut feeling tells me they WILL be added). Well, about the chipmunk thing, I may need a little enhancement.......    
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TEO

QuoteI could have sworn Kings Of Leon was there last year????

Saw them '05 'ROO but not sure if they performed last year.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

DaFunkyPrecedent

not only are they not on boonaroo's lineup they aren't on Coachella's.  BOO!  give a little love to the west coast all you southern's.  

I know the roo is their fest...but i'm going to coachella and i want to see them THERE too.

I do get to see Gorgol and Kings of Leon by the way! yay for me.
God damn those shaky knees.

sweatboard

The lineup for Coachella this year is AMAZING.  Sonic Youth, Explosions In The Sky, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Arcade Fire, The Rapture, Interpol, Bjork, I mean it just goes on and on.  I'm so jelous.

ItsCalledTheDark22

In Rolling Stone Magazine, MMJ said the Roo was a holiday for them and its already marked on their calendar every year, why should this year be any different.  This is their biggest show.  IF anyone saw them there last year, please join me in saying that those were argueably the most amazing 3 1/2 hours of live music at one time.  

BH

QuoteIn Rolling Stone Magazine, MMJ said the Roo was a holiday for them and its already marked on their calendar every year, why should this year be any different.  This is their biggest show.  IF anyone saw them there last year, please join me in saying that those were argueably the most amazing 3 1/2 hours of live music at one time.  

I was not there, but I saw on the AT&T Blueroom streaming video and yes, with apologies to NYE, that was the most amazing 3.5 hours of live music of all time.  The lantern, the cover song choices, the guest appearences,  the atmosphere, the time of night, the.......
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DaFunkyPrecedent

i'll say New Years was cooler...thats only cause I was at New Years and not The Roo...
God damn those shaky knees.

harpua51

I heard from a pretty reliable sourse that Bonnaroo is going to have 4 headliners this year.  Something to do with WSP only being able to play on Thursday or something.  Looks like MMJ could close the mother down.  

Nothing like a good rumor huh?

CrmnlWhoNvrBrksLaw

I would concur that the Roo show of last year outdid any live performance I have ever seen.  Completely mindblowing.  I mean most bands cover songs that are pretty standard, but who in their right mind covers "A Quick One..." and follows that with a tasty "Loving Cup."  Unreal.  I've got my fingers crossed that they'll be there this year.  Wouldn't be the same if they weren't!!

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotei'll say New Years was cooler...thats only cause I was at New Years and not The Roo...

I don't know. man. Roo '06 was pretty fucking unbelievable.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...