Jim in Fader magazine

Started by deanna, Aug 22, 2006, 09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee.

I was at the bookstore earlier buying some textbooks and found this - a nice surprise.

Here's the cover.

What the article is about: 40: We asked Young Jeezy, Jim James, Yoshimi, Swizz Beatz, Dwight Yoakam, Project Pat, Mattie Safer, and Tego Calderon to name the artists who have inspired them, influenced them, grown up with them, and given them hope for the future.

Here's the picture of Jim.

Jim is #6 and the section is called "Battle Triumphant The Blazing Dynamism of Jim James and My Morning Jacket."

Here's the part about MMJ (and Andrew Bird).

Jim's picks are 7-10, here are the little pull quotes:
#7 Andrew Bird: "Andrew Bird's whistle is something no other human could replicate - it's his one of a kind trademark stamp."
#8 Scott Carney: "There's something mathematical and futuristic about Scott Carney's music - he gets into it microscopically."
#9 Swearing At Motorists: "Doughman is a really animated performer - He walks the line between comedy and heartbreak."
#10 Dr. Dog: "Then Scott from Dr. Dog gave me their CD, the clear CD tray was filled with candy sprinkles.  I was like, This is the first thing I'm gonna listen to."

Pick this one up.  :)

dragonboy

"Somehow - suddenly - Jim James & The Jacket have made us believe in the forgotten, mystical, mythical power of rock."
Finally, a journalist who knows what they're talking about!

Thanks very much for posting D!  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

SFTH

Nice.  Thanks for the post.

ali

thanks for the headsup - definitely picking up a copy!

is the man photogenic or what?  :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ChiefOKONO

nice one! thank you for posting this :):)

Mr. T.

Jim already scored high in the 'best dressed' poll and he surely will score high in the "sexiest male 2006" poll!  
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

JacketGal

Very Cool Deanna. Thanks for taking the time to post it!  8)
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

EAZYE

Great post deanna thanks :)
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Meddle

Project Pat...Representin' M-town
...And Some Are Angels...

Dee.

No prob, guys.  You can even download the magazine now: http://www.thefader.com/

soitgoes

Ohhh, I bought it. I love magazines anyway but with Jim on the cover it was a 'have to do' kinda thing. Plus I think the photos in there are awesome...of Andrew Bird and Dr.Dog? I'm from Philadelphia and a big Dr.Dog fan and it pumps me up to hear good words about them from anybody... :) Which reminds me, they're playing a free show tomorrow with the Walkmen and a few other bands up in NY somewhere. I should find out these details, anybody else going?

Dee.

If you subscribe to the Fader podcast in iTunes, it'll let you download the latest issues.  I was just browsing thru and saw another Jim article, on pg. 88.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=159159073

It's about the 40th issue party.

http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2006/09/29/it-beats-4-us

ali

hey thanks D

good to see jim... rockin in his socks!!  :)

love a song for the way it makes you feel

NoVa_NoLa

a little more from fader...

What is it about Jim James that, rather than just talking to him about his music, every magazine, newspaper and website wants to ask him about other people's music? He was asked about his favorite jammers and jamz here, there, and um, also by us, right here. Given that we're guilty of putting him through the same rigamarole, you'd think we'd have the answer, but we swear we only asked him because it was part of the concept for our 40th issue, and he happened to be the leader of the Most Smokingest Live Band On Earth at the time of that issue. Tonight James and My Morning Jacket play a way-the-fuck-sold-out show at Roseland. We'll confirm whether or not they're still the smokingest for y'all tomorrow, but we think we already know the answer....

Dee.

QuoteWhat is it about Jim James that, rather than just talking to him about his music, every magazine, newspaper and website wants to ask him about other people's music?
Because he's enthusiastic, friendly, and willing to share the love. You know who else is also good at sharing the love? My bro Devendra Banhart. If I were in their position (ie people cared about my opinions), I would feel the need to give others props too. Good times.