Jim Scores Kids Puppet Show

Started by LaurieBlue, Feb 02, 2007, 08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/SCENE05/702020347

Kenny & the Kids
Puppet pals
Squallis troupe's 'Outside' follows girl's journey to confidence
By Ken Neuhauser
kneuhauser@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Ruby is faced with the daunting task of performing at her school's talent show. The shy but creative sixth-grader signed up for the show with coaxing from her teacher, Mrs. Hoo-ha.

Ruby is a natural musician but struggles to share her talent with everybody, plus she needs to overcome a case of the nerves. She's not sure what to do until she ventures into her imagination and meets some weird and wonderful animals, including a squirrel, a turtle and two butterflies. These animals impart advice and help build her confidence. However, Ruby also encounters some creepy "doubt bugs" that discourage her.

Did I mention that Ruby and her imaginary friends are life-size and larger-than-life puppets in an original production to be performed this weekend and next by the Squallis Puppeteers?

The puppet play, "Outside," will be performed at 7 tonight, 2 and 7 p.m. tomorrow, 7 p.m. next Friday and 2 and 7 p.m. Feb. 10 in the Shark Tank Theatre, third floor, 414 Baxter Ave.

"Outside," developed by Squallis members with local playwright Liz Fentress, features recorded music by Jim James (from the band My Morning Jacket) and a cast of puppets operated by Nora Christensen and Jess Myers. It is geared for children ages 6 and older.

Tickets, $7 ($5 for children 12 and under), will be sold at the door.

For more information, call (502) 540-4977.

cmccubbin@work

has anyone been to this?  i'm going to try and go tonight....just wanted to see if it was worth checking out!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.