Jim's front man stance. Does it bother the band?

Started by fortbethel, Feb 01, 2007, 11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vespachick

Quoteofcourse my morning jacket is a BAND...one would have to be silly not to think so.  But one can not deny the fact that Jim James is the brains to this entire beautiful innocent and inconviennet madness.  I love watching the entire band when i see them live...but you also have to remember Jim chose them to be the new memebers of the band, he understood that they could create the sound HE wants to hear.  Jim is the front man, he is the genius...and part of that genius is choosing the people he has to play with him and create the wonderful sound we know as My Morning Jacket.  Lets be real...

Yes, but a band is a BAND.  I can try to make lasagne with the BEST cut of beef, or hand made pasta,  but without the right sauce and herbs, I'ts just Boy-R-Dee.  

Or, for we girls: I can buy a superkickass pair of shoes, but without the rest of the outfit - it's just a superkickass pair of shoes.  

Somebody else is INVOLVED in producing the product.  No matter the blueprint.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

MarkW

Hiya vespachick - quick question - do you actually have a vespa, or is it a random name thing involving Italian wasps? (hijacks pointless thread with own love for scooters....)

Oh yeah - what db said about the whole "Jim is the most adored" rubbish.  Spot on.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

DaFunkyPrecedent

please dont ever try to compare My Morning Jacket to a pair of shows or even worse so lasange (excuse my spelling).  I do understand your point, and your right.  But Jim chose them to be in HIS band...not the other way around.  And it's not like they all grew up together and formed a band like the beatles or Yo La Tegno or Broken Social Scene...The had to be asked to join the band.  No no doubt Carl is one of the most bad ass guitarist out there and Pat can play the drums like none other and Bo's production had so much to do with Z - but because Jim knew they all could produce the way they do is the reason he chose them to play with HIM.  It is his band.  He is the front man.  and with out him the band would be shit...(i dont think anyone will argue that last point...its kinda like saying with the the bomb ass cut of meat the lasange aint shit).  Love.
God damn those shaky knees.

ycartrob

ycartrob

actually, the little lady and I (LA) like yelling

[size=24]BRUUUUUCCCIIIIEEEEEEE!!!![/size]
while the band is setting up (and taking down). He's a sweetheart of a guy and he's quick on the draw with a set list. We yelled

[size=24]BRUUUUUCCCIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!![/size]
in Knoxville and he looked up from the stage and said, "Hey! What are you guys doing here?"

then in Nashville we yelled

[size=24]BRUUUUUCCCIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!![/size]
and held up his sign

and he smiled from stage right and shined his flashlight on it right as the lights in the Ryman went down...

[size=48]BRUUUUUCCCIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!![/size]

EC

i has lasangy recently for the first time in years.  and it was deLICIOUS.  i forgot how yummy it is.  it's like yummy pasta and yummy sauce and yummy cheese, and we had yummy spinich (is that a regular lisigny layer?) mmm i want it again. right. now.

ycartrob

Hey Meg! It's snowing in Nashville and Sparky is sitting on top of the space heater.

EC

QuoteHey Meg! It's snowing in Nashville and Sparky is sitting on top of the space heater.

hi trace!  yaaaay!  i'm glad it's snowing. :)
i'm a little worried about sparky's ass?

ycartrob

He's coping. Here he is in mid dump.

Angry Ewok

I'll say this... I've told alot of people that I sincerely hope Jim doesn't ever pick up a habit of solo tours. I'm deathly afraid of MY MORNING JACKET, as I know it, dissolving. The band has gone through several changes in the past, but where it is now, I think through it's music (not Jim's, but everyone's), it could someday be regarded as one of the greatest bands ever.

It already is, in my mind, of course, but I really believe the world is waiting to 'get it'...

Meeting the band was a comforting experience, because while they are aware of their superstar status (or whatever you want to call it), they aren't arrogant in the least... in fact, I'd say they may even be somewhat uncomfortable with it.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

DaFunkyPrecedent

im waiting for the world to "get it" too...thats such a good way to put it.  It's so hard to get even the biggest music fans to listen to new music such as My Morning Jacket.  Maybe some day they'll "get it".  I have this wonderful vision of an entire arena of 30,000 people siging along to Phone Went West..."tell me im wrong, tell me im right, tell my theres nobody else in the world."

dragonboy

Quotei has lasangy recently for the first time in years.  and it was deLICIOUS.  i forgot how yummy it is.  it's like yummy pasta and yummy sauce and yummy cheese, and we had yummy spinich (is that a regular lisigny layer?) mmm i want it again. right. now.
I feel the need for some Lasagna right now! I will have to cook some this week (it will be my first time, is it difficult?)  
Thanks for that Vespachick & EC  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Crispy

Sparky don't look too happy that his butt's so close to the snow ;)

I kinda dread the day when MMJ's playing to area-sized crowds. Not that I would want to deny them that kind of success, but we've been fortunate enough to see them in the kind of smaller places where you can be close enough to the stage to really feel the show.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EC

Quotei has lasangy recently for the first time in years.  and it was deLICIOUS.  i forgot how yummy it is.  it's like yummy pasta and yummy sauce and yummy cheese, and we had yummy spinich (is that a regular lisigny layer?) mmm i want it again. right. now.
I feel the need for some Lasagna right now! I will have to cook some this week (it will be my first time, is it difficult?)  
Thanks for that Vespachick & EC  :)

do they have lisagny in japan?  can you find the ingredients?  can you make extra and mail it to me?  today?  i'm pretty hungry right now...
;)

EC

He's coping. Here he is in mid dump.
thank you for the two images i have of sparky in my head - one where his ass is on fire, and one where it is freezing.  oh that little fella.  what a lovely creature he is.

dragonboy

Quotedo they have lisagny in japan?  can you find the ingredients?  can you make extra and mail it to me?  today?  i'm pretty hungry right now...
;)
We have a couple of world food stores so I should be able to get the pasta sheets OK, they might only have wasabi flavour though....
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

vespachick

QuoteHiya vespachick - quick question - do you actually have a vespa, or is it a random name thing involving Italian wasps? (hijacks pointless thread with own love for scooters....)

Oh yeah - what db said about the whole "Jim is the most adored" rubbish.  Spot on.

Yes, Mark, yes I do own a Vespa.  I have a 1980 P125X with a Polini kit.  Sadly, it's the least groovy of all the Vespa's I've had, but at least I still have it!  (My fave was the 1972 Rally I owned back in the late 80's and stupidly sold for something ridiculous like $300 back then.  (Yes, you read that right.)  Years after I realized my mistake I vowed I would never ever sell MY "V".

PS - My 4-Runner just took a huge crap and I am considering selling it and buying a sidecar.  For the dog.   ;D
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

DaFunkyPrecedent

im not trying to diss on lasange...infact i made it for my superbowl party.  lets just say i was inspired somehow.  

dragonboy

billybluebeard

QuoteI kept hearing the chant JIM JIM JIM at a recent show and just wondered.

Ya know how the video editors forgot to cut a few glimpses of Jim in the crowd on Okonokos?  That right there is proof that he actually sneaks into the audience at shows and begins the chants for himself himself.

QuoteIt is his band.  He is the front man.  and with out him the band would be shit...

It is their band.  He is the front man.  and without him the band would be different.  The band wouldn't be MMJ, but do you really think a band with those musicians would be shit?  I bet they could still pull off being the shit (but honestly, I'd rather quit thinking about that and just go back to dreamily enjoying what our ears / souls are lucky enough to get to experience... the complete My Morning Jacket)!

Quote[
True Jacket fans love the Jacket as a whole, as a band. Yes Jim writes the songs & talks to the audience etc. The man is a genius & he is one of the greatest songwriters of our generation. We love Jim for what he is & what he's given us. But we love The Jacket as a band in the same way. Tommy, Patrick, Bo & Carl are lucky to be playing with Jim just as Jim is lucky to playing with them (they are four amazingly talented, tight musicians).

I agree 100 percent with that.

Oh, and Patrick rules!!!

:P
Why's it surreal when my hands feel they cant roll the jay?