Is it Just me? How Come No one has ever heard of MMJ?

Started by tbear, Mar 24, 2012, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
I recently moved into a new apartment and the family below me has a son in high school.  His favorite band is Pink Floyd, so I started chatting with him about Animals, Echoes and all the goodies that band has put out.  He was also really into the Grateful Dead.  At this point I figured it was best that I bring up MMJ.  Not surprisingly, he had never heard of them before.  I told him to listen to Dondante live Okonokos on YouTube.  I had to leave for work, but I told him if he liked what he saw that I could give him some MMJ to try out.  I came home that night and I had just sat down when I heard my doorbell ring.  I walked downstairs to find the kid from earlier at my door.  He had a friend with him.

Me: "Hey, what can I do for ya?"
Him: "Dude, I listened to Dondante and I need that music."
Me: "Go grab your flashdrive and I'll let you try some of their stuff out."

He sprinted to his house and came back shortly afterwards.  I haven't heard from him since I gave him the music, but I am sure if he loves Pink Floyd as much as I do, he will surely love MMJ. 

MMJ is my favorite band, but not only that, MMJ is the best rock band and live act going right now.  They are the Zeppelin, GD or Floyd of this generation and so many people are missing out.  My generation is pathetic (I'm 20), all they listen to is rap and top 40 and never try to expand their tastes.  None of them are adventurous.  I have turned on a couple of my friends to MMJ, but they hardly listen to them.  One of them acts like he loves them, but he really never takes the time to just listen to their music.  I'll ask him what he thought about Steam Engine or what have you and he won't know what I am talking about.
I think most of us have "been there done that". The big difference is your age. Never would have guessed by the content of your post that you are 20. I have 2 sons, 18 and 22. I have dragged both of them to MMJ concerts, and they were very impressed, but they never listen to them. Maybe they were trying to please the old man. I have also taken 4 of my male friends, all ages 50-60. They all liked it, but only one, the lucky one who saw night 3 at the Wiltern, has become a nut like me for the band. (My sons don't listen to much rap, and no top 40.They are extremely versed in modern punk and whatever is playing the Warped Tour or Coachella, and can talk about bands I never heard of like they are talking about the Stones and The Who, whom they are also very familiar with)

bold992006

Most people I know who are average music fans have never heard of MMJ.   Unless you are really into music I don't think you would know who they are.  They are not a universally known band in today culture like bands like Zep and the Stones were back in the day.  The music business is just so different now.  There are only a few universally known acts.   Playing MSG doesn't make you big anymore..because there are a million bands who do that now.  Jim James can walk down the street in NYC and I bet if you asked 10 people who he was maybe one or two would know.   Probably something that he really enjoys.  I don't think a single person in my family has a clue who MMJ are and I have uncles who were really into music back in the 60's and 70's..they saw huge bands.   I think the days of those types of bands are gone...they are now replaced with the Taylor Swifts of the world sadly.

Jeff Murray

I was recently down at Fort Myers Beach, was wearing my Spontaneous Curation t-shirt, and someone said Jim James rocks!  I was floored!  That may have been the first time someone recognized the band and said something to me about them!! 

But then I start talking to some folks at a bar and this very musically inclined individual had never heard of them... I let that pass though since he started bringing up bands I never listened to either.... It's a weird phenomenon that's for sure!!!

I'm just glad I went in early for those PJ shows back in the day!!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??