MMJ is not Alt-Country

Started by cmccubbin@work, Apr 19, 2007, 04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteWhile we're at it, Ky is not south... at least not Louisville.

How people define Kentucky as Southern is beyond me, too many ideas of barefoot pregnant women running around... that shit happens in Vermont just as much.

not so much barefoot in Vermont b/c of the snow. Perhaps cheap shoes instead.

The DARK

Unfortunately, not everything southern is good.  :-[

http://www.thestate.com/188/story/36411.html

What a stupid debate. The South shall NOT rise again.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Chico

I like Monkeys.  Monkeys are funny.

BH

Louisville is no further south than St. Louis if you can believe that.  Therefore, I declare Louisville to be a midwestern city.  Final word.  It's midwestern rock.  An all new genre.  You can now mislabel other bands as midwestern rock.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DaFunkyPrecedent

I agree MMJ = MMJ...
but when I'm asked what sound is MMJ it's hard for me to respond: MY Morning Jacket is a Rock and Roll, Prog Rock that sneaks around with space rock in the vast universe where indie and country intertwine - My Morning Jacket is a reagee, classicial and unique sounding southern rock outfit that sings soul music while walking with folk music down the long street of BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND AWAY music.  

So i always say ROCK AND FUCKING ROLL.  

In my iTunes they're under alternitive and punk - but so is everything new pretty much.
God damn those shaky knees.

ratchetisfake

QuoteI agree MMJ = MMJ...
but when I'm asked what sound is MMJ it's hard for me to respond: MY Morning Jacket is a Rock and Roll, Prog Rock that sneaks around with space rock in the vast universe where indie and country intertwine - My Morning Jacket is a reagee, classicial and unique sounding southern rock outfit that sings soul music while walking with folk music down the long street of BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND AWAY music.  

So i always say ROCK AND FUCKING ROLL.  

In my iTunes they're under alternitive and punk - but so is everything new pretty much.

good explanation.
people ask me that all the time. "what kind of music do they play?" my response is always something like this: "the most intense, profound, spiritually mind altering, raise-the-hairs-on-your-neck type of rock and fucking roll".
whatever that is. my morning jacket is what my morning jacket is. they are not like anyone else, nor is anyone like them.
and seeing them live, is without a doubt, a life changing experience.
who fanned the fire that burned down the lake?

thebigbang

I don't know what to call it . . . but I like it.

Almost all MMJ music seems to come from a burning passion to communicate about the wonders of existence.  That they succeed so frequently is quite remarkable, considering how many folks try to create these sounds and fail.

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Bangs Brownwood

Cheers to the boys for making music that inspires such a debate.  ;)
WOMAN!
Whoa Man!
Whhooooaaaaa MAN!!

Chico

The problem with calling it Rock & Roll is that my record store will have them in the same bin as Rick Astley (sp).  

When I open my record store, there will be 4 sections: My Morning Jacket, David Bowie, Reggae, and everything else.  

MMJ_fanatic

I'm surprised this is still a hot button issue.  I could actually care less what some nimrod critic or blogger wants to use a label in attempt to pigeonhole this beautiful freewheeling band.  Love the band, ignore the labelmakers.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

The DARK

QuoteI'm surprised this is still a hot button issue.  I could actually care less what some nimrod critic or blogger wants to use a label in attempt to pigeonhole this beautiful freewheeling band.  Love the band, ignore the labelmakers.
If music can be easily "classified", it's PROBABLY not worth listening to.
In another time, in another place, in another face

jovigirlx

hey all!!!   ive read mmj described as if neil young married pink floyd.  pretty simple and accurate but still doesnt describe their entire sound.  i do agree with the mmj=mmj!!    i'm still trying to picture jim with a shaven head!!  hmmmmm.....!

Chico

No, I am pretty sure "At dawn" is the best album.  Everyone else is just mistaken.

Please god, let this thread die!  I thought I already killed it once...

jeremywku

Definately on the At Dawn.  I love all their albums alot, but At Dawn has that feel to it that you cant describe.  But, it is so hard to classify it.  Every album is so different and so different from song to song.  Whatever people want to classify it as, I will still listen.

DaFunkyPrecedent

i just came back from coachella where there was a million of different sounds being played from stage to stage, and i realized that rating anything, classifing anything is just plain WRONG.  Bjorks new cd just got 3 1/2 stars from spin.  My question is, after seeing that show, and seeing the wonderful art that was poured out in not only her songs, but from the dozens of musicans i saw all weekend, how can we rank or classify anything other than amazinly beautiful.  

Sure, some bands dont care as much bout their music as others...Art. Monkeys, The Kooks...but most bands do.  And thats all the should be recgonized and loved...is thier abality to make these sounds and to have people respond to them.  Coachella fo life!
God damn those shaky knees.

JohnnyRage

I kinda make up my own categories of music to organize my mp3s. I also do not rip entire albums onto my computer, just preferred songs.

Of the 38 individual songs (not distinguishing b/w versions) that I have stored, they break down like this (Where to Begin, and Girl from North Country included):

Adult Alternative - 5/38 [/b]
(Category Qualifier – great music that a 16yr old would prob. shoot a 'WTF is this?' look)

Nothing 2 Me
X-mas Curtain
O is the One that is Real
Lay low
Gideon

Americana/Folk Rock/Alt. Country – 10/38[/b]
(C.Q. – Distinctly American mishmash derivative, but more importantly 'does it have slide guitar or cowbell?', ha)

Heartbreak'n Man
Evelyn is not Real
At Dawn
Lowdown
The Way He Sings
Golden
Girl from the North Country
Oxen
Chills
Where to Begin

Lo-Fi/Indie - 1/38[/b]
(C.Q. – tightly written pop/rock songs that don't care 2 be heard on F.M. radio)

I just Wanted to be your Friend

Pop/Rock - 3/38[/b]
(C.Q. – nothing wrong with a quality straight-forward pop tune or a kick-butt  rock song)

Dancefloors
Anytime
What a Wonderful Man

Psychedelic Rock/Dream Pop - 16/38[/b]
(C.Q. – The only real qualifier for this dumb sounding cat. is, "Do I wish I were smoking a joint right now?!? Man, I wish I still smoked.)

The Bear
Picture of You
I Think I'm Going to Hell
Strangulation
Phone went West
I Will Sing to You
Mahgeetah
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Steam Engine
Can You See the Helmet on my Head
Cobra  
Sooner
Dondante
Off the Record
Wordless Chorus

Singer/Songwriter – 3/38[/b]
(C.Q. – not really sure, but 1 creative dude and his instrument could pull these songs off beautifully)

I won't Cry
I Will be there when you Die
Bermuda Highway

Other categories I have, but MMJ not found in:
-  Alternative Rock
-  Blues/Blues Rock/Roots Rock
-  Classic Rock
-  Country/Classic Country
-  Dance/Electronic
-  Funk
-  Gospel
-  Hard Rock
-  Hip Hop/Rap
-  Instrumental/Classical
-  Jazz/Vocal/Traditional Pop
-  Latin/South American
-  Punk
-  Reggae/Dancehall
-  RnB/Soul
-  RockNRoll/Oldies

[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

Easy Morning Rebel

I'm a bit indecisive, actually. In some ways I think MMJ are passing the alt-country genre but in the same time they don't. If you see alt-country in the same way as I see it, that it's a lot more rock than ordinary contemporary country.
For me alternative country is modern rock country with a lot of influences from blues, jazz, soul, reggae etc. That's what alt-country is for me.
So, if you see alternative country in this way there are according to me quite many of these elements in MMJ's music who then could be classified as alternative country music as well.

But then, if you want to be simple I mostly just use to call MMJ for Southern Rock (& Roll)!!! 8-)
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

ali

who REALLY needs labels? people are always classifying things, pigeonholing artists, music, other people.... using terms that never do justice or fully describe the complexity of music etc.

i like music because i like it, and the same for music i don't like... i don't like wilco & my morning jacket because they are classified as "alt-country" by some fairly narrowminded people, or by the local record shop. i like these & other bands because their music connects with me

musicians have such diverse influences (as do we all really) that to try and shove them in a box, i think, in a way denies the diversity of people's musical interests

that's my two cents anyway...

and if your local record shop is putting rick astley in the rock & roll section.... THEY ARE DELUDED

;)
love a song for the way it makes you feel