Jim James at Louisville Wilco/Dr Dog Show?

Started by blueplastichead, Sep 22, 2007, 02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueplastichead

Just got back from the Wilco / Dr Dog show in Louisville.  My friend and I could of swore we seen Jim James walk right past us.  Just wanting to know if anyone went that seen him out of curiosity.

Kory

I'm sure it was him, he's a Dr. Dog fan.
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

amybee

Yep...my friend and I met him.  He was cool, but "didn't feel comfortable" taking a picture.  He and patrick were sitting in the section next to us and were walking around a bit.  Crazy night!

DaFunkyPrecedent

i wonder if jim is feeling angst of being imortalized by his fans...or i wonder if he enjoys it?  Im sure he's starting to notice that he is infact being noticed.  

When i saw carl on the other hand, i think he felt honored that someone recgonized him.  
God damn those shaky knees.

cmccubbin@work

we saw him several months ago here in Louisville at a show and he declined a picture request by my girlfriend's friend (she was drunk so maybe that was it...)
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

aMD

i hate to say it but Jim has become less and less approachable recently.  I guess that's what comes from fame.

bridget

I will say, I have a good friend in a reasonably well known band, and he makes a conscious decision to be approachable when he's on tour, but to be as normal as possible when he's home.

When he's in his home city, he doesn't want to feel different from everybody else, he just wants to feel at home, so he tries to not draw attention or sign autographs or pose for pictures, etc... It can be awkward and it can upset people who are - point well taken - his oldest fans, but I have to say, drawing that line has really helped him maintain his down-to-earth demeanor, which is easy to lose with even the slightest bit of fame.

I have no idea if that's the case for anyone in mmj, just thought I'd put it out there. It's tough, but maybe Jim's trying to draw that line in Louisville...

amybee

QuoteI will say, I have a good friend in a reasonably well known band, and he makes a conscious decision to be approachable when he's on tour, but to be as normal as possible when he's home.

When he's in his home city, he doesn't want to feel different from everybody else, he just wants to feel at home, so he tries to not draw attention or sign autographs or pose for pictures, etc... It can be awkward and it can upset people who are - point well taken - his oldest fans, but I have to say, drawing that line has really helped him maintain his down-to-earth demeanor, which is easy to lose with even the slightest bit of fame.

I have no idea if that's the case for anyone in mmj, just thought I'd put it out there. It's tough, but maybe Jim's trying to draw that line in Louisville...

That completely makes sense and it's absolutely understandable.  I have heard people speak of celebritiy sightings and say they didn't want to bother them...maybe someday I will be that cool, but if it's someone I admire, I get caught up in the excitement.  He was super nice, I just felt like a big nerd.  I have always said that I could never handle being famous (not that I have to worry about it). ;)

Kory

I've seen him around at several shows around town in the past and KC and I decided one night at a Follow the Train show that as much as we wanted to say hello and tell him how much he kicks ass, we should wait til we were at a Jacket show.
When he's out to see Wax Fang or VHS or Beta, he's there to enjoy himself and the music, not be Jim James of MMJ. I think that's a good way to look at it and I feel good not bugging him every time I see him out.
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

TEO

QuoteI've seen him around at several shows around town in the past and KC and I decided one night at a Follow the Train show that as much as we wanted to say hello and tell him how much he kicks ass, we should wait til we were at a Jacket show.
When he's out to see Wax Fang or VHS or Beta, he's there to enjoy himself and the music, not be Jim James of MMJ. I think that's a good way to look at it and I feel good not bugging him every time I see him out.

Agreed. I would be such a dumbass and not know what to say to him anyhow. I guess I can resign myself to admire my GOD from a distance.  I will never probably get a pic. with Jim, and glad of it because I would probably annoy him with 2-3 takes trying to get the perfect shot because I know I would blow it up and frame it.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TEO

Quotei hate to say it but Jim has become less and less approachable recently.  I guess that's what comes from fame.
I'm sure it was probably alot of fun at first, but easily tiring after awhile. Like you and I constantly being recognized in public. Sometimes I want to go to a restaurant and NOT be Mr. so and so.

TEO

QuoteI will say, I have a good friend in a reasonably well known band, and he makes a conscious decision to be approachable when he's on tour, but to be as normal as possible when he's home.

VERY well said!

aMD

Quotei hate to say it but Jim has become less and less approachable recently.  I guess that's what comes from fame.
I'm sure it was probably alot of fun at first, but easily tiring after awhile. Like you and I constantly being recognized in public. Sometimes I want to go to a restaurant and NOT be Mr. so and so.

Oh yeah, I understand.  I used to go to a grocery five miles from my house instead of the one two blocks away because I knew I'd see a student or worse yet, a parent.  I don't blame him for wanting to keep low-key in da ville I'm just pointing out the fact that he seems less approachable these days, for better or worse.  

I heard a few months ago that he felt like he couldn't go out in louisville anymore because of always getting noticed, but I've seen him out 5 or 6 times since then so obviously he's found something that works for him.

Big Nasty

Oh yeah, I understand.  I used to go to a grocery five miles from my house instead of the one two blocks away because I knew I'd see a student or worse yet, a parent.  I don't blame him for wanting to keep low-key in da ville I'm just pointing out the fact that he seems less approachable these days, for better or worse.  

I heard a few months ago that he felt like he couldn't go out in louisville anymore because of always getting noticed, but I've seen him out 5 or 6 times since then so obviously he's found something that works for him.

Such as a less conspicuous hair cut???  

DaFunkyPrecedent

soon they'll move to LA, and will never be noticed again.
God damn those shaky knees.

aMD

Quotesoon they'll move to LA, and will never be noticed again.

I hope you're wrong.  :(

cmccubbin@work

QuoteI've seen him around at several shows around town in the past and KC and I decided one night at a Follow the Train show that as much as we wanted to say hello and tell him how much he kicks ass, we should wait til we were at a Jacket show.

i think that is dead on!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

the_wizzard

I too agree, that is very well put.  I live in Portland and am a co-owner at shoe boutique.  Quite a few of the Portland musicians shop with us (Janet Weiss, Steven Malkamus, Art Alexakis, modest mouse kids, etc....).  They all appreciate just being a customer when they are in my store.  I encourage my staff to get the stars out of their eyes and treat them like any other customer.  The best was when our congressman, Earl Blumenauer was buying something at Christmas.  We use software at point of sale and take all customer's names (in case of a problem, it makes tracking the sale easy).  She did not know who he was (kind of sad...he is a democrat who is long standing in politics).  He is very recognizable...anyway, you could tell by the look he gave her that it was so satisifying to be doing his Christmas shopping incognito......

And one more note....I don't even know what I would say to the band except "Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Please keep the music flowing!"