New Strokes

Started by johnconaway, Oct 31, 2003, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Whatcha think?  I haven't got it yet, but that damn 12:51 song is damn catchy...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

plank10

unimpressive

sounds just like their last album.

plank10

but that single is catchy as shit

JacketNation

12:51 is catchy but most of the rest (9 out of the other 11 tracks) are weak immitations of the original.  I would have been happy if they could've duplicated the original but it falls far short.  

my_evening_jacket

I saw the strokes open for GbV a few years back and enjoyed their set quite a bit.  Then the hype got to me and they faded from my radar.  I did buy Is This It and thought it was good but not enough to remain in rotation for too long.  I haven't heard any of the new stuff - I'll try to check it out though and see for myself.  definitely want to hear 12:51.
shake some action

hipkink

Yup. Sounds just like "Is This It." Nothing really new. I mean - I like it. I liked the first record too, but they aren't breaking any new ground. Just think of it as being the second disc on a double album.
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

Oz

I've only heard 12:51 yet, but that was kind of a disapointment. But then again, a friend of mine told me he didn't like it the first time either, but after 4 times he loved it, so who knows... As for the album, I'm still curious. I don't think an album can be bad just because it's not revolutionary. I mean, 'Is this it?' was also a replay of Velvet Underground / The Jesus & Mary Chain stuff...
I'm ready when you are

hipkink

Good point. I was just hoping for more. They get an awful lot of hype for what they do. Hype should be reserved for bands that are truly great. MMJ, for example. :)

plank10

there's a big difference between not revolutionary and just making an extension of your last record

Jimmy_Mcnutty

i've never liked the strokes, catchy, but nothing special. just a bunch of new york hype.  they are the new coprate rawk. i think mmj blows em away in everyway. i can't help putting the strokes down, they just irk me in a weird way.
Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.
Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.

hipkink

I just listened to the record again, and it's growin' on me more. Check out the new Shins record though. It's super!

DD

first of O:  im a HUGE jamc fan and the strokes have NEVER sounded a thing like them.

the first strokes album was one of the best albums out in a long time.  no, it wanst any new ground but it was just plain ol kick ass rock n roll music.  just good shit.

with the first listen to the new album i thought it sucked.  i was totally unimpressed and it wasnt nearly as good as their last album.  but i have listened more and its fucking awesome.  the way the guitar parts and bass parts mesh are just amazing.  really cool harmonies.  the only thing i hate is the way homey sings through the same damn effect every time.  its just gotten old.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

my_evening_jacket

I just listened to 12:15 and remain unimpressed.  It's not bad - just doesn't grab me.

I second the The Shins recommendation.

Chutes Too Narrow belongs in everyones best of 2003 lists.
shake some action