Main Menu

Spacemen 3

Started by johnconaway, Mar 24, 2004, 03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

okay, WTF is this ?  i'm totally jammin' here...anyone out there into these guys?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

DD

spacemen 3 broke up.  part of them became spiritualized.  that lineup changed.  i believe the other dude went to lupine howl.

lets rack my brain here:

they started sometime in the early to mid 80s from what i remember.  sonic boom played guitar, jason pierce (current lead singer/writer for spiritulalized) also played guitar, and a couple of other guys.

some releases:

taking drugs to make music to take drugs to

sound of confusion

for all the fucked up children in the world

they had a couple of later albums that got some airplay.  i remember seeing a video on mtv.  but they broke up in the early 90's.

if you like them i HIGHLY reccomend spiritualized.  NOT the latest amazing grace, skip that one.  get their live at royal albert hall album, ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space and no come down.  these are GREAT albums.  the live album is the best live album ive ever heard.

its like refined spacemen 3.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

Rabid_Washcloth

Took the words right out of my mouth on the Live album.  It's no lie.  The sound is unbelievable - full orchestra.  Close your eyes and you can see the light show and the lasers.  

Apparently, Mr. Pierce is a bit of a tyrant when it comes to his band.  The lineup has changed numerous times and he probably has the majority of musicians in England hating him due to his "my way or the highway" attitude.

Spacemen 3 album:  Perfect Perscription - has a great song called "Walking with Jesus"(also on the live album but not quite the same) that uses the bass line from Lou Reed's "Waltzing Matilda".  Lots of extended psychedelic soundscapes.  Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To is a good one also.

To pull from another thread, one of their(Spiritualized) songs was used for a VW bug commercial.  Can't remember the name but the line used was: "All I want in life's a little bit of love to take the pain away." and had a VW spinning around.

Second best live album:  "LIVE" by Built to Spill - some good hard guitars.

I've had Perfect Prescription in my Cd collection forever, but I thought I'd ask y'all what your opinion was...I was playing that last night when I posted, and it just really blew me away...esp. Walking with Jesus  ;)

ben grimm

Spiritualized's 'electricity' was also used in a toffe crisp ad a few years ago too.

That's awesome!  I gotta find a copy of that...

DD

[quote author=Rabid_Washcloth

To pull from another thread, one of their(Spiritualized) songs was used for a VW bug commercial.  Can't remember the name but the line used was: "All I want in life's a little bit of love to take the pain away." and had a VW spinning around.

Second best live album:  "LIVE" by Built to Spill - some good hard guitars. [/quote]

that song is on ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space.  that song and cool waves (also on floating) are my favorites.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails