Main Menu

Wilco

Started by Rabid_Washcloth, Jun 22, 2004, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabid_Washcloth

If anyone gets the new Wilco album, please provide your thoughts on it.  I've heard a few tracks and I'll reserve my opinion.    

Everyone's calling this new one a step further than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which I think would suck.  That album wasn't bad, it's just collecting dust in my stack of CDs.  I'm more of an A.M. and Being There fan.  

And what's with Wilco becoming media darlings and Tweedy the new poster boy for disturbed, emotional writing.  I thought Roger Waters had that one nailed down forever.

Also, anyone get the new Jay Farrar live CD?  Is it worth the money?

Drunkre

I haven't heard it yet, but I know Spin magazine didn't give it too glowing a review.  Said some stuff about pushing a little too hard against the mainstream.  On a side note, and unabashedly admitting my ignorance of all things Uncle Tupelo, what the fuck is up with Tweedy and Farrar?  Somebody bang somebody's old lady or something?  I mean its been like 10 years since those guys parted company, and they still don't even talk to each other.  What a shame.  I have some of Uncle Tupelo's stuff (picked up in a second hand store long after the fact) and it was really nice.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

Rabid_Washcloth

Uncle Tupelo was pretty much the foundation for the alt. country movement.  The break up was simply a case of two lead singers trying to share a band – hey, another Pink Floyd reference.  

Apparently, Tweedy was in awe of Farrar's talent and acted like his little sidekick early on.  Once Tweedy got more comfortable with his musicianship and writing, he wanted more time for his songs.  Farrar wanted to stay in their niche of the music world and Tweedy wanted to expand, as you can tell by their respective solo work.  Add these feelings in with a lot of recording, touring, probably drinking/drugs, very little recognition from the music industry and pretty much getting sick of the person as an individual and you have a relationship ending.  Hell, try being married.  My wife and I haven't recorded an album together and we want to kill each other sometimes.

Tweedy, ever the innovator and wanting to move forward, will run out of sounds to evolve into and one day come back to a more organic, stripped down sound – kind of like Neil Young and his tinkering with synthesizers on the Trans Am album.

I think it's safe to say that the two will eventually collaborate in some way, shape or form.  I'm not saying a new UT album or a VH1 Storytellers, but they'll put something together.

Remember, there are two sides to every story.  Mr. Washcloth, sounds like you favor the Farrar side. I think both Farrar and Tweedy are very talented--int their own unique way.  However, I don't see a reunion likely, especially when Farrar has stated that he refuses to listen to anything from Wilco.  Jeff has stated that this really upsets him because he still respects Farrar's opinions.  Sounds like Farrar might be a little bitter.  As for running out of music.  Wilco's first two albums were obviously closely linked to the UT sound and style.  Wilco, like any great rock n' roll band has evolved, and I find it very hard to believe that musicians like Jeff Tweedy will run out of sounds to evolve into.    

Rabid_Washcloth

I'm actually more of a Tweedy/Wilco fan.  

Time heals all wounds - remember the Eagles' would only play together "when hell freezes over."  Unfortunately for their fans' pocketbooks, they played again.  Think of the big egos that had to be overcome and all that pride that had to be swallowed.

As for the biographical facts about the inner-workings of Uncle Tupelo, don't take my word for it: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9502E0DE1331F930A25755C0A9629C8B63

ycartrob

As far as WILCO goes, I feel like Jay Bennet's absence shows on their new Ghost CD. He came onboard with Being There and was on Summerteeth and YHF (YHF gets better and better every time I hear it). I have seen them live with J Bennet and without, and they seem much tighter without him. However, I think JB's strength in the studio is missed. Rent their DVD I Am Trying to Break Your Heart to see J Bennet leave WILCO (get the ax). Same happened to their drummer Ken Coomer.

dogandponyshow

Not a huge Wilco fan but think that Summer Teeth is by far and away the best.  

D.

paintaneight

well,  let me start out by saying i heard the internet preview of the record for 2 weeks and then stopped listening for about a month.  my initial reaction that its another top notch record from the band.   so a month passes and i end up catching them live in Poughkeepise for the mini U.S. tour.  great live show and the six piece Wilco is worth seeing any day of the week.  have the live shows and bought the record today; hears what i like about it.

- the production and recording are great.  the instruments used all have really soft sounds and the sound of the record reminds me of classic 70's recordings.  

- the drumming is alot different and mixed quite lower compared to YHF.  the overall mix is different because there's less noise background like YHF.  the bass and keyboards are upfront with the vocals on top (like any good pop record).

- to the important part the music.  "backlash" to certain ideas seem to fit a theme for AGIB.  the lyrics are more about presenting ideas,  which maybe u'll understand or not.  

- this record seems like a collection of songs rather than a start to finish type of record.  not a negative thing,  neil young made a career out of this.  (don't be afraid to skip the "spiders" intro or static of "less than you think."

- favorites in no particular order: hell is chrome, at least thats what you said,  muzzle of bees, humingbird,  and company in my back

in conclusion,  go see wilco live and enjoy your favorite songs on the record.  appreciate the change and artistery of a band like wilco,  cause they're not gonna be around forever.

Coltrane

I love the new record....i love it because it's different and challenging and not the same as Summerteeth or Being There....that's what makes good artists great....MMJ have yet to make the same record twice....screw the reviews and listen with open ears
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Zmog1974

coltrane...AMEN.

being an Englishman with a missus from Barking Essex..i would have to say the stuff with our very own Billy Bragg was interesting...Mermaid Ave 1 & 2. Summerteeth is still the nuts though...".The ashtray said..you were up all night"....wicked lyrics for an opening line.

ycartrob

It's, "the ashtray says"

The Boar

I think the new record is great, more desperate but confident than YHF and as musically interesting as Being There, Summerteeth, etc.

40223, not sure where you got your info. on the Tweedy/Farrar thing but I have to disagree. I've always heard that Tweedy is the one that is still bitter about the split, and read in an interview that Tweedy basically could care less what Jay does. Farrar on the other hand IMHO has always seemed fairly cordial toward Wilco, though he admittedly gets tired of his collaboration with Jeff always being the first thing that people address.

I bet they both still have a respect for the other and am almost certain that some collaboration/reunion will happen in the future, though probably not immediately as Farrar is VERY slow in his movements and has said he has plenty to keep him busy. Btw, his new record is pretty good, more rocking than his last album.

Drunkre

In this month's Spin Magazine (Beastie Boys issue), Tweedy talks about Farrar.  If Tweedy is being honest, it's definitely Farrar who is still bitter.  Tweedy talks about valuing Farrar's opinion about music; the Spin interviewer mentions that Farrar has said he's never listened to anything by Wilco; and Farrar refused to comment for the article.  Bitter?...
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

dthomas

"At Least That's What You Said" is my new favorite Wilco song, Awesome!

jacketjunkie

Yes I bought the new Wilco album, in Chicago(Reckless Records)in Lakeview of all places, i have not had a chance to listen to it, Jay Farrarr has a new one? I need to check that out, I am also an A.M. guy and more Uncle Tuplelo.
Back to Louisville from Chicago
Pete

jacketjunkie

on that note, let me say i think wilco has the right to do what ever they want as far as music goes? Remember when Bob Dylan decided to go electric? Everyone booed him but all he was doing is exploring new areas. And now he is still one of the rock legends. Jeff Tweedy has sort of branched off from the Uncle Tupleo days and as an artist he has that right,if everyone expected to be like they were ten years ago no one would have the free range to be creative.
Pete Adams