RIP Rick James

Started by johnconaway, Aug 07, 2004, 09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

for those of you haven't heard this already, the King of Funk Rick James passed away yesterday a.m. at age 56.

his high profile struggles with drugs and violence are the stuff of tabloid legends.  what got lost, IMHO, was how much of an impact on pop music of the early 1980's he had as the "superfreak".  not to mention how much of an impact he had on me personally, as "give it to me" and just about all of the songs on "street songs" introduced me to a world of funk unmatched before or since.

rest in peace, my brother.  may history remember you as a legendary musician and entertainer, and as the "King of Funk".

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

yea, unfortunately another model of what years of drug abuse does--breaks down your body and shortens your life.  Goodbye Rick we will miss you, hope it was a good ride. :(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

TheMollusk

i hope that people stop dwelling on his drug abuse and give him the respect that he deserves. Rick James was nothing less than a musical genius, and his songs made people dance, feel good, and will live on in the history of music.

MMJ_fanatic

no doubt he was genius in his work just wish he hadn't become another posterboy for drug abuse.  don't misunderstand I loved his stuff but I hate that he checked out so soon :(

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotei hope that people stop dwelling on his drug abuse and give him the respect that he deserves. Rick James was nothing less than a musical genius, and his songs made people dance, feel good, and will live on in the history of music.

agreed.  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

There is no doubt the guy made great music....but the guy was a flat out junkie and went to jail becasue of his abuse of a two woman in cocaine related incidents.  I give him respect as a musician but have little respect for him as a person.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

yeah, there were some nasty pictures of his wife/girlfriend after she took a wicked beating at his hands.