why some ppl should stay on drugs

Started by TheMollusk, Aug 06, 2004, 04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMollusk

examples of music's drug addicts who clean up and then produce the worst kinda crap you ever heard.

STP: Shangra La Dee Da
Jane's Addiction: Strays
Wilco: Ghost
Alice in Chains: Jerry's solo career

sweatboard

I love the new Wilco album, spiders kidsmoke sounds like it was created by someone on drugs.  I love his electric guitar tone and playing.  I think if you give the new album some time you'll grow to love it.  
There's Still Time.........

peanut butter puddin surprise

so, should they have stayed on drugs, or what is it you're saying?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

marktwain

MMJ_fanatic

well I guess Weiland hasn't totally lost his edge, 2 words--Velvet Revolver
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

TheMollusk

i knew this would be a topic of some debate, so im just offering an opinion.
velvet revolver sucks, considering who they are, its a weak release.
second, if i have to be the first to say, as much as i love wilco, the new album is boring.
third, if bands like MMJ, Ween, Kings of Leon, etc. weren't around, i would have to say that songwriting in general is basically non existant.
and last, thank god anyone can get over heroin, and i hope they are doing well, but its obvious throught music history in general the best songwriting was done when they were whacked and smacked

peanut butter puddin surprise

at this point, i wouldn't know what velvet revolver sounds like as I don't usually listen to the radio.  nice to know that the g&R guys and weiland are doing SOMETHING other than smoking crack and getting arrested...esp weiland as his entire life is a tabloid front page...

and to echo tundra, wasn't there an Onion headline a while back...fans beg aerosmith to go back on drugs?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

aerosmith has been catering to the "waitin on my first pubic hair" female crowd for way to long.  if I could get one wish granted by them it would be to bring back the sound of Toys in the Attic and Rocks, not to mention Get Your Wings and Aerosmith--the first 4 albums were the BOMB!

sweatboard

Heroin + Rock Music = Nirvana
oh yeah.................It really does.

TheMollusk

elton john too. think about it. just look at the discography

sweatboard

Quoteelton john too. think about it. just look at the discography

Yeah, it really is night and day with him.  I love the early stuff, Madman Across the Water, Tumbelweed Connection.  What drugs did he do though?

Zmog1974

in the voice of john martyn "cocaine sure running round my brain"...now kiddies dont do drugs you'll end up like moi, i cant remember shit. Elton did the charlie, and look at Bowie, he's become a cropper.

Music is the drug!..though i must admit some bands are complete shit without them.

MMJ_fanatic

Quotethough i must admit some bands are complete shit without them.
and too many musical supernovas have turned into mouldering corpses thanks to drugs.  kinda hard to write and perform coherently when you brain is full of worms and your jawbone is falling off, just an observation :D

The_Link

QuoteI strongly agree with Smog.  Can you imagine a Modest Mouse album created without acid or shrooms?  Velvet Revolver does suck.  Maybe they need some drugs.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteVelvet Revolver does suck.  
agree to disagree

The_Link

of course.  I meant no offense.  Peace.

MMJ_fanatic

none taken buddy--we are individuals and we don't all eat chocolate ice cream ::)

TheMollusk

sweatboard