Today at Bellarmine

Started by Bam_Bam, Jan 25, 2008, 03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bam_Bam

Patrick Hallahan and Craig Pfunder came and talked to a class at Bellarmine that my brother is in so I got to go and sit in on it. They talked alot about how crappy the music industry is and both seemed really pissed about it. Patrick said that recording in New York was an interesting enviroment, alot more hectic and also said that on their new record they experimented alot with everything...sounds pretty cool. Crazy that 3 days after being announced as a headliner at a huge music festival he's just chilling in Louisville and talking to some college kids. Bridget Kaelin was also there and seemed really nice. Has anyone listened to her?

They all also commented on the whole downloading thing and were all pretty opposed to downloading music for free. Craig was saying how if you try to give someone something for free they will think it's crap, but if you sell it for 15 bucks or something then they will think it's something great and just steal it haha.

[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

.Walt

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

aMD

thanks for sharing.  Brigid Kaelin is very talented.  Not exactly what I'm into, but good at what she does.  Craig and Pat are two really nice guys so this doesn't surprise me at all.

cmccubbin@work

Quotethanks for sharing.  Brigid Kaelin is very talented.  Not exactly what I'm into, but good at what she does.  Craig and Pat are two really nice guys so this doesn't surprise me at all.

yeah...it seems like these guys haven't forgotten how far they've come!!!

that's pretty cool....what was the class?
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Bam_Bam

Songwriting in Pop Music in America i think. They read alot of poems and lyrics and talk about them and how they fit in with the world their in. pretty good class.

bridget

Y'know I was just talking to a friend of mine about this the other day, and we both decided that the music industry is actually doing a little better than we would've thought even a few years ago. (We were talking about In Rainbows sales being pretty good, despite the give away.)

I'd really be interested to know what it is about the industry that bothers them most?

Is it the atomization? 'Cause we also agreed that it's hard to find any five people who like good music and actually like the same band (amongst our friends). And that's a bummer...

Thanks for posting this! :)

weeniebeenie

Cool! :) Thanks for posting.
How loud can silence get?

Bam_Bam

I think it's how money is handled that seemed to bother them the most. They kept talking about how little funding there is to make albums any more especially because they don't sell as much. They made the point that in 2000 the number one album sold like 8 million copies and now the number one only sells like 2 million or so. give or take a few mil. Because of that the record companies don't give as much money for them to make good records....interesting.

bridget

That is interesting - thanks, Bam:)