Hey Louisville...

Started by johnconaway, Aug 24, 2004, 04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Wake up!  The 80s and early 90s are over!  Stop worshipping at the rotted altar of Endpoint, Sunspring, Slint, etc. etc. ad nauseum!  Those bands are NOT playing anymore!

Instead, love the new wave...our friends MMJ, VHS or Beta, Gladstone, Jon King, Pine Club...you get the point.

I am so very tired of reading nostalgia pieces that whine about the "old" days.  Grow the fuck up.  Hardcore is fucking DEAD.  There's no Tewligans, there's no Mercury Paw, that shit is gone, yesterdays...wait, last fucking decades news.

The music writers in this town are always and constantly comparing every goddamn band in this town to long fucking dead bands that couldn't shit in the same toilets as VHS or Beta.  I am going to personally make sure that we start paying attention to the NOW, living, vibrant bands that fucking rock.

It's either that, or I start my very own Canadian Metal cover band, and start a metal revival here.  So, take that as a threat-either start fucking writing and paying attention to the NOW that isn't being compared to 1991, or face the unholy wrath of an Aldo Nova cover band.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

Quoteor face the unholy wrath of an Aldo Nova cover band.

Holy Shit!  Run for the hills!!!!!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

PapaJoeBear

Hahaha... for real.

Don't know much about most of those bands, but I feel you on the Slint. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Slint. One of my favorite bands back in the day. But they haven't played together in YEARS.  Too much good music  out there to dwell on the old school. And what are the members of Slint doing these days? David Pajo is the only one doing decent music, with his Aerial M stuff. I guess The For Carnation is ok, too.  Go seek new music people!!!!!!

Peace
JoeBear

Thanks man.  Nice to know I'm not alone and/or insane on this topic...

MMJ_fanatic

you're right on JC, I get tired of "critics" feeling compelled to compare everything going on in the present tense to greatness from the past and when they aren't doing that they are trying to compartmentalize via comparison all the latest trends.  think about how many genre labels we have for music styles today compared to how meny genre labels there were in the 70s or even 80s...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

exactly.  it's like the critics all cut and paste each other's writing to be lockstep with what everyone else is saying...jesus, get your own opinion!

i firmly believe that the critics killed Guided by Voices.  i'm sure Pollard got sick of reading "not a return to form" or some other such inane tripe about his latest efforts.