record players?

Started by sweatboard, Sep 06, 2004, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I'm going to buy a record player and I need some suggestions on a good one to get.  I would be willing to spend up to $500 dollars on a neddle and player.  Also tips on not damaging the needle or the records once I start playing them.  Thanks,

Brian
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Check out my record collection that I have yet to listen to any of.

The Tn Fire lp
AT DAWn lp
It Still Moves lp
Acoustic Citsuoca ep
Run Thru single
Just because I do single
Gold hole single
BAd Jazz single

I need help with a record player, and QUICK!

MMJ_fanatic

not too many companies are making them anymore so the ones that you can choose from are going to be high quality and pretty similar in features.  I have always preferred belt drive over direct drive but I am sure there have been mechanical changes since I bought my turntable.  Just go to a decent reputable stereo place where you live they can steer you in the right direction--good luck!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

I was under the impression that direct drive was better than belt driven.  Why do you prefer belt MMJ Fanatic?

MMJ_fanatic

consistent performance over time, but like I said who knows what amount of tweaking has occurred in turntable design since I last bought one ;)

peanut butter puddin surprise

two words:  Pawn Shop.  Any pawn shop worth their salt has a wide variety of audio equipment for sale at the fraction of their real costs.

the term "pawn shop guitar" comes to mind...I've got a tape deck and a great equalizer at pawn shops...check em out!

Good brands of turntables:

Technique
Pioneer
Magnavox

etc.  you know, the good ol brands of days of yore when they actually MADE turntables.  check ebay too, they've always got everything from cow hearts to human excrement.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Exactly...if you can't find it at EBAY stop looking.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote check ebay too, they've always got everything from cow hearts to human excrement.

true, I just received my very own Holstein heart the other day :)

lyricjunkie

:)now I understand why your's is sooo big...

ummm...I am talking about your heart. ;)
Talk less....
Say more.

MMJ_fanatic