Main Menu

The Who

Started by johnconaway, Sep 01, 2004, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Pete Townsend silly business aside, this classic quartet that created a wave of music still reverberates today through acts like Guided by Voices.  Every time I hear any song (except Baba O Reilly..) on the radio, I gotta crank it.

"Can you see the real me?" has got to be their greatest tune, IMHO...what's YOUR favorite Who song?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Chills

I prefer the whole Live at Leeds, one of the best live albums ever. Great versions of Magic Bus, My Generation, Heaven and Hell... Maximum R&B! And didn't Johnny Quaid lend some old cool guitar moves from Pete? Just look at the pictures in the booklet for details!

marktwain

Gotta have the live stuff:  I really love "My Generation" and what about "Summertime Blues"?!

I would let Mike Tyson punch me in the face if I could go back in time and see them live!

P.S.  Pete's innocent.

BTW did y'all hear about Pete's row with Michael Moore?  Maybe that's the funny stuff John's referring too.

MMJ_fanatic

personally, "We're not gonna take it" does it for me but then again all of Tommy is great...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

TOMMY! it's a masterpiece.  I love "Won't get fooled again", aaaaaahhhhhhhh their entire catalog is amazing Pete Townsend is the greatest rock musician to ever walk the face of the earth!  
There's Still Time.........

QuoteI would let Mike Tyson punch me in the face if I could go back in time and see them live!

MUWHAHAHAHA!

On the "Farewell 89" tour, me and mrsconaway scraped together $25 each to see them play a huge stadium in Pittsburgh.  oh so worth it.  sure, we had shitty seats, but the sound was good.  Pete was going through the whole "I'm deaf so I'm playin' acoustic" phase, so he had a supporting cast of dozens...

But midway through the 3rd song or so, he broke out the electric and the sold out crowd went FUCKING NUTS.  Classic memory that will last a lifetime, still one of my all time favorite shows.  Every song was like electricity.

Drunkre

I Can't Reach You.  First song, first side of The Who Sell Out.  Lovely.
"I can't reach you/With arms outstretched/I can't reach you/I crane my neck"  Who hasn't felt that?
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

dogandponyshow

Have to say Who Are You....here is some news of note regadring The Who and how great they were and still are..  Any Bob Pollard a la Guided By Voices fan who are one of the greatest bands of all time and are sadly breaking up. Pollard's favorite disc of all time I read is Who's Next.
That give Thw Who even more credibility. Make sure to cach a GBV show if you can....it's over after this tour.

D.

antoniostrohs

Yeah I heard about Robert Pollard's love for The Who also.GBV is a great band and even better live band.He even borrows Roger Daltrey's microphone moves during his shows.Still don't know how he hasn't hurt himself(or his band)wildly swinging that mike around and being so drunk on stage.Waycool!

QuoteYeah I heard about Robert Pollard's love for The Who also.GBV is a great band and even better live band.He even borrows Roger Daltrey's microphone moves during his shows.Still don't know how he hasn't hurt himself(or his band)wildly swinging that mike around and being so drunk on stage.Waycool!

ah, but he has!  seen it my damn self at headliners back in the day (circa 1999)...

dogandponyshow

You got that right about the Daltrey twirl....and the other classic move is the cooler that is always on stage.  I saw them at Pier 54 on the Hudson River and they didn't allow can or bottles so they had to drink out of plastic cups.  However, the cooler was still up there.  Nate was throwing them back.

D.

the kicks are plenty tasty as well.  that guy can really get the crowd goin' with the twirls, the kicks, and the ever present fist pumping...man, i gotta put some of that shit on right now!

MMJ_fanatic

Daltry was definitely A #1 showman in his prime and I heard he hasn't slowed much either.  can't say I've had the pleasure of a live show tho' :-/

dogandponyshow

You got it...the kicks are crucial.  He always puts them in at the right time.

D.

TheMollusk

the who suck ass

Quotethe who suck ass

You wish they'd suck your ass.

TheMollusk

hahahahaaaa. townsend would prob. love that

MMJ_fanatic

we love you  :D

ben grimm

I saw them live in Manchester a few years ago, had wicked floor seats but we got ripped on space cakes in the van on the way and all I remember is them opening with can't explain, and Entwistle's terrbile suit,the rest is a blur.