Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel (BBC2)

Started by admin, Sep 21, 2004, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

For those in the BBC region,
this friday on BBC 2 there's a 90 min. docu about gram parsons.
tune in if you can.

Fri 24 Sep, 11:35 pm - 1:05 am  

The definitive documentary about Gram Parsons, the cult auteur of country-rock, who came from rich Southern stock to join The Byrds, befriend The Rolling Stones, and then invent country-rock with The Flying Burrito Brothers, and as a solo artist with protege Emmylou Harris.

Parsons died a rock and roll death in the Californian desert in 1973. His body was then stolen by his buddy and road manager and burnt in the desert near Joshua Tree.

Parsons was 26. His music and his legend continues to fascinate and influence musicians and music fans, including the likes of The Eagles, REM, Elvis Costello and Dwight Yoakum, all of whom contribute to this film.

Fallen Angel is a forensic examination of the collision between Parsons' family background, his desire for stardom, his musical vision and talent and the increasingly lethal world of rock and roll in LA in the early 70s.

Over three years in the making, this film also includes contributions from Keith Richards, Chris Hillman, Emmylou Harris, Phil Kaufman, and many other band mates and family friends, including many of the women who were closest to Parsons - his wife Gretchen, his lover Margaret, his half-sister Diane, and his daughter Polly.

EC

MotherFUCK.  I have been wanting to see this for EVER, and I was really hoping it was going to play while I was out there this summer.

Does anyone know if you can get it on NTSC?  

I'm very jealous of UKers right now.   :-/

MMJ_fanatic

will this not show up on BBC America?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

wordawg

the future is Ginger

SMc55

I'm happy to tape it for you EC and post it over. No idea whether it would be compatible, though. I can tape it anyway and you can watch it next time you're in the UK if that's any good.

EC

That's absolutely lovely of you!!

I just don't know if it'd be worth your time - transferring it from PAL to NTSC would be kind of ridiculous, and I probably won't be back in the UK for a while (although who knows).

I remember hearing that there would be a North American DVD version at some point, so probably waiting for that is my best option.

But I do really appreciate your offer.  That's just swell.  :)

ben grimm

Anybody seen 'Grand Theft Parsons' yet? I rented it last night and I have to say I did enjoy it. Some facts and characters have been altered/fabricated to make the story funnier but if you can forgive this then you'll enjoy it, the soundtrack is good too apart from the inclusion of Starsailor.

Oz

Hmm, now I'm starting to think it's too bad that I don't have a television anymore...  :-/
I'm ready when you are

Zmog1974

This was a quality programme..currently listening to Gram at the Mo...Emmylou still looks mighty fine as ever. Any you guys seen Grand Theft Parsons yet...what did you all think?

CC

yeah, I really enjoyed it too!

haven't seen 'grand theft parsons' yet but ordered the dvd the other day. not sure what to expect from knoxville and applegate but worth givin a chance.

CC

QuoteAnybody seen 'Grand Theft Parsons' yet? I rented it last night and I have to say I did enjoy it. Some facts and characters have been altered/fabricated to make the story funnier but if you can forgive this then you'll enjoy it, the soundtrack is good too apart from the inclusion of Starsailor.

just watched it and i think it's really lame. the hippy was funny at times but that's all.
soundtrack is okay.