Iron and wine and MMJ at American Eagle...

Started by katkillad, Nov 22, 2004, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkillad

So I went into american eagle the other day shopping for christmas presents...this is the second store along these lines that have played mmj inside their stores. ( Hollister being the other )  I'm not too sure how I feel about all of that.

There is a band you all need to check out...i think you will enjoy this one more than my last suggestion.  The band is Iron and wine.  They have a lot of great songs, but specifically I would suggest "Hickory" for your first song.  

I really feel like there is a huge similarity with iron and wine and jim james solo/acoustic stuff.  So definately check them out.  He doesnt sound like jim, but i still like his voice.

EC

Ohhhhh, Iron and Wine is/are great.  (It's just him, right?)  Isn't there some great back story about how he used to just record his own stuff in his basement while his family was sleeping, and someone got a hold of it and the rest is history?  Something about him saying that he never expected anyone else would like it except him...  Which is wrong because it's utterly beautiful music.  

Man, I love a guy and his guitar.  That's why I like the Johnny Cash American albums so much.  Mmmmmm nice.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotethis is the second store along these lines that have played mmj inside their stores. ( Hollister being the other )  I'm not too sure how I feel about all of that.

Oh come on now, exposure at those stores isn't all that bad, is it?  It's not like Jim is mugging for the camera and pitching Anusol...

Better it be MMJ than some other tripe, IMHO.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Saw them in Portland, OR and was pleaseantly surprised.

D.

katkillad

QuoteOhhhhh, Iron and Wine is/are great.  (It's just him, right?)  Isn't there some great back story about how he used to just record his own stuff in his basement while his family was sleeping, and someone got a hold of it and the rest is history?  Something about him saying that he never expected anyone else would like it except him...  Which is wrong because it's utterly beautiful music.  

Man, I love a guy and his guitar.  That's why I like the Johnny Cash American albums so much.  Mmmmmm nice.

yea, i'm pretty sure its just one guy after doing a little more research.  I think i'm going to pick up his cds tomorrow.  Not too sure about his background, but I think you are right.

katkillad

Oh come on now, exposure at those stores isn't all that bad, is it?  It's not like Jim is mugging for the camera and pitching Anusol...

Better it be MMJ than some other tripe, IMHO.

I guess it doesn't really matter.  I've worked at a few stores like this...so I shouldn't be the one to complain.  I will say that they always have GREAT soundtracks.  It's some kind of weird disc that has 4 hours of music on it.  I always grabbed the track lists and wrote the songs down while I worked.  So I guess they should be happy to be grouped together with other great musicians/songs.

The other part of me wants mmj for myself...  I wish them all the fame they want to have though.  My guess is that mmj doesnt even have a say so in this anyways.

sweatboard

Speaking of Words and Guitar.  I've really been loving the new Cat Power DVD.  I encourage everyone to check her out, the last time I was this excited about some new music was when I first got into MMJ.

Tomorrow will be the greatest music gathering day of my life!

1. Pick up both MMJ early Recordings
2. Pick up the Vinyl Sonic Youth 4 LP set of Dirty I ordered
3. Nirvan Box Set!!!!!!!
4. Trade in my store credit for my old LP's I sold (Starship,Beverly Hills Cop Soundtrack,Ratt,etc.) and Pick up Tommy on Vinyl.
5. Sit back and think about how fucking awesome I am!

There's Still Time.........

peanut butter puddin surprise

if store A has a sound system (and which store doesn't?) and plays MMJ, of course they have no say in it.  i personally think it's GREAT to have exposure on this level, but that's just my two cents.

Iron & Wine are cool.  Every time I hear that name, all I can think about is April Wine.  Or Strawberry Hill from Boonesberry Farm.  MMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

Quoteof course they have no say in it

Hmmm, I don't think that's true.  If they're on some kind of gigantic music compilation cd that is store-wide, I believe they somehow get compensation for it.  Just like the Starbucks cds, or those satellite stations that restaurants subscribe to.  They can't just go around distributing the music without compensation or having bought rights from whoever owns the rights to their music (which, I assume, in this case, is mmj).  

Now, I used to work at a bookstore years and years ago, and we used to play the best music (our own cds), and everyone who came in loved it.  But that's a little different...