Christmas Music

Started by dogandponyshow, Nov 29, 2004, 03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktwain

QuoteFairy Tale of New York.

Good one, Greggy!  I completely forgot about that song!

SmoothOprtr

Also not mentioned... Christmas in Hollis- Run DMC!  Great tune!
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

whothrewthecake

I love A John Prine Christmas by the wonderful John Prine. It's a great album to get you in the Christmas mood.

SMc55

QuoteAny Aussies on board? How about 'Santa Claus You C*!t' by Bloody Wilson? Not one for the kiddies.

Kevin Bloody Wilson! I'd forgotten all about him. He was in a telly series shown in the UK years ago. Hilarious  :D

Oz

Maybe if you like Low.
I don't like Low and don't like their Xmas record.

Well, that makes sense, then. :)

And Shane MacGowan is a genius. Well, was a genius.
I'm ready when you are

corey

http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=16256

I found this BT today and thought that you might be interested. You have to register, but it's not a pain in the ass on that site.

MMJ_fanatic

Trans Siberian Orchestra kicks ass too for holiday tinged tunes.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

John Prine made a Christmas record?

Like, with more than Christmas in Prison?

That's damn exciting.

(Anyone know if Merle ever made a Christmas record?)

whothrewthecake

EC, it's so good! Check it out for sure. It does Christmas in Prison, but some other great things as well. Always makes me think of my family holidays!  :)

EC

Wow.  John Prine definitely beats Nana Mouskouri.  My Mom must've been in charge of the Christmas music.

Elvis and Burl came out tonight.  So did some Christmas lights on our front window.

So excellent.

marktwain

Is that Johnny Mathis album sitting on the piano on the cover of Xmas Fiasco Style?

CC

QuoteIs that Johnny Mathis album sitting on the piano on the cover of Xmas Fiasco Style?

just checked it and it looks like you're right!
had no idea, that's awesome ;D

peanut butter puddin surprise

funny story about Johnny Mathis.  'bout five years ago, i was downtown in louisville, walking past the brown hotel.  (one of our 4 star hotels here, very swank).  out walks mr. mathis himself, looking like a million bucks.  this cat was 64 at the time and looked like he was 25.  amazing.

as he walked past, i looked right at him and said "looking good, dude!" and he smiled at first, but then seemed puzzled as to why some stoner lookin' white guy in his thirties would know who he was, let alone give him a compliment.  he was soon swarmed by swooning ladies seeking autographs, so i pressed on.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

also, read some of this:
http://www.johnnymathis.com/bio.htm

he's even more of an enigma than I realized!

dogandponyshow

Thanks for bringing me up to speed On Johnny...good man.  Wonder what his handicap is in golf.

D.

apparently he's hosted his own golf tournament.  how cool is that?

EC

Mmmmmmmmm...  Today we put up the Christmas tree.  Mmmmmmmm.  It looks like this:

We listened to Christmas songs that the boys did from the ftp site.  My roommate said that she would always remember our first few months here whenever she heard My Morning Jacket.  

(I know the picture's fuzzy, but it gives a better idea of how the room feels than the pictures I took with the flash on.  Also, everything looks fuzzy because we've been drinkin' wine.  Mmmmm...)

SmoothOprtr

While many of my buddies disagree with me, I have the Squirrel Nut Zippers Xmas CD and find is to be very cool and a nice seperation from "typical" Xmas music.  If you were having a Xmas party, would you rather have SQZ's or Ann Murray droning away in the back groud!  
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

EC

I like the Squirrel Nut Zippers.  

I also like Anne Murray's Christmas album.