Help with a X-Mas present!!

Started by Coltrane, Dec 26, 2004, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coltrane

Ok. SoI got a professional turntable for X-mas so I could rock out old school style.....I patched it thru my stereo and it works and all, but the volume is maxed out and the sound is not very loud; certainly not as loud as when it plays cd's. Do i need some sort of amplifier, or does my stereo system just suck. Or am I just an idiot and technologically inept???

any knowledge would be great!!!

merry x-mas, fiasco style!!!!!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Jellyfish

What brand turntable is it? And does it have a magnetic cartridge? If so,there might be switch on their to turn magnetic or ceramic.Also,you might need a new needle.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

MMJ_fanatic

hate to break it to ya, but it seems that lp recording levels are evidently much lower than cds.  I've foung the same issue with my set up and I probably don't have the same brand turntable as you--mine is a Nikko.  I can definitely crank my lps much more than my cds without busting my eardrums.  anyway, long way round, you most likely don't have defective equipment (especially if its higfh end to begin with).  good luck!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Coltrane

EC

Lord help me, I am probably talking out of my ass.

But, my Dad had me set up his surround/sound stereo system over Christmas.  (When I am the most technologically advanced person in the room, you know there's a problem.)

Anyhow, everything was hooked up properly, but the sound coming from the surround speakers was really quiet, and then we changed one of the input buttons, and it BLASTED.  So, it might be that.  It also might not be that, but if you have different input buttons on your stereo, it could possibly be that...

(I also remember that same thing happening on our stereo when I was a kid, and we most definitely had a record player on there.)

Coltrane

yeah, i think i'm just gonna throw an old Metallica record on there and start pressing buttons until it screams!!!

thanks for all the effort gang!!