ultimate punk mix ?

Started by Chills, Jan 31, 2005, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chills

Allright, so I'm trying to make one cd which should become the best punk rock compilation ever! Trying to get all the classics I can. So far I've got these but your help would be appreciated, so tell me if there's something missing!

sex pistols: anarchy in the uk
clash: London calling
the jam: town called malice
richard hell : blank generation
stooges: i wanna be your dog
misfits: last caress
ramones: pet cemetary
black flag: rise above
only ones: another girl, another planet
undertones: teenage kicks
buzzcocks: harmony in my head
fugazi: waiting room
huskur du: girl who lives on heaven hill
magazine: shot by both sides
hives: die all right
wilco: student loan stereo
nick lowe: heart of the city
trail of dead: totally natural
the motors: dancing the night away
eddie and the hotrods: do anything you want to
the kids: there will be no next time

Seems nice already!

SmoothOprtr

Teenage Bonehead- The Queers
Anything by Jawbreaker
Early Green Day ("At the Library" maybe?)

I'm not a huge punk guy but it seems like you have the most cliche Sex Pistols tune, a well known Clash sing, but then a Romones choice which isn't nearly as mainstream... I don't see NOFX, Operation Ivy, or the Dead Kennedy's....
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Chills

I'm not a punk guy as well, that's the point!
Just trying to get some fun stuff I do know and like on one disc, that's why I like some hints, never heard of most of those bands you mention there but I always love to check out something new.

MMJ_fanatic

The entire Ramones library--especially "Blitzkreig Bop"!)  and pretty much anythin by Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Fugazi, Dead Kennedys
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

JacketNation

If you're gonna make a punk mix you damn well better put something by X on there.  Johnny Hit and Run Pauline or You're Phones Off the Hook But You're Not or White Girl or anything else off their first 3 albums.  

sweatboard

If wilco is punk...I love punk.
There's Still Time.........

Chills

Try to check out that song, student loan stereo, it's a throwaway b-side but still great. Short and chaotic, perfect soundtrack to the start of a crazy (alcohol-infused?) party.
There can never be enough of those songs...

And how could i forget Blitzkrieg Bop?
Maybe some Replacements stuff too...

I guess I'll just wait for the official release of Lil' Billy, the official 2005 punk anthem ;D

SmoothOprtr

I wanna be sedated- ramones

My Way- The Sex Pistols (as seen at the end of Goodfellas)
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

MMJ_fanatic

And how could i forget Blitzkrieg Bop?
Maybe some Replacements stuff too...

Yeah the Bop is my punk standard.  I would nominate "Bastards of Young" by the Replacements--totally punk attitude there...

Oz

Yeah, you can't do without the Ramones. Personally, I would also suggest 'Gloria' by Patti Smith, though not everyone would call that punk, ofcourse... It is, however. :)
I'm ready when you are

MMJ_fanatic

oh ya--I remember a clip of her doing that tune in a studio environment with her band and ithad a totally punk feel--she was bouncing around while the band shuffles through the chords and chops with broody looks on the faces