What is Louisville like?

Started by lfish, Jun 24, 2003, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfish

Hey, it seems that a lot of you guys are from Louisville itself, but I'm wondering what should a non-american imagine when thinking of this town?  Modern city? Small town? Touristic? A lot of farmers and echoing silo's or a lot of smoke producing industries?  A lot of sun? A lot of twang in the southern dialect? Young people, old people? And most of all is there already a sort of stardom created around the jacket(when they're in town, what is probably not often the case considering the constant touring of those guys). Those are just some thoughts crossing my mind.  
lfish

peanut butter puddin surprise

Louisville is a big town converted into a small city.  I have been here since 1989, so I feel like I can comment with some authority on the subject.

Tourists come alot for the Kentucky Derby, not to mention the Louisville Slugger museum.  Soon, they will be coming for the Muhummad Ali museum as well.  

The Ohio River borders the north with Indiana, so much of downtown Louisville is pretty as it has a nice body of water flowing through the top of it.  Part of Main Street has one of the largest collections of cast iron facade buildings in the country (meaning the front facade of the building is made of cast iron, very rare these days).

If you drive in any direction away from the city, you'll find lots of farms and silos.  Most of Kentucky is pretty rural-Louisville and Lexington are the biggest cities (with Covington coming right behind).  

Like everywhere in the U.S., the age groups seem to be crystallizing into the young and the old-folks my age seem to be either moving away or extinct or something.  

And to the Jacket-the shows started small, and as time goes by, they seem to get bigger and bigger crowds.  Among certain circles, they are revered and worshipped like rock gods.  The folks here that are generally amazed by the music are mostly younger, hipper (of course) and a few old farts like myself.  They have been written about in the press a few times, but not nearly the over the top fan worship they deserve (would it ever be good enough?)  ;)

All in all, Louisville is a great city.  The population is at a million if you factor the whole county it resides in, which means we have all the amenities and a strong arts community.  The cost of living here is low, so low it keeps me here like nothing else does.  The climate is temperate, winters are not too harsh but summer is very humid, often the temperature hovers at 100 with 90% humidity or above.  But it's nothing I haven't grown used to-air conditioning works to fix that!

You and anyone who's reading should visit.  It is very friendly and laid back-no pretensions hardly at all.  I felt right at home almost immediately.  The big fun activity (other than Jacket shows, of course) here is the bar scene, hanging on the riverfront, coffee shops, and hanging with friends, or all at once.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

lfish

Hey lexington, that's the place where the battle for independance began.  (I'm just studying american history, thursday I have my last exam on this topic.  Very interisting)
lfish

lfish

Btw, thx for the description.  Now I know what to imagine when I think of Louisville.  It sounds as it's a nice place to stay.  Maybe I'll visit it once.  My dream is to come back to America (I've already been there but I only did the west-coast: from San francisco to san diego), to hire a bike and to ride the long and distant highways with my girl on the backseat, holding me tight. And of course she's holding a ghettoblaster on her shoulders, playing my morning jacket very loud. So if you see some lunatic on a bike in Louisville that fits my description, just call out my name and I'll buy you a beer.
lfish

marktwain

QuoteHey lexington, that's the place where the battle for independance began

Actually, that was in Lexington, Massachusetts (the state where Boston is).  Kentucky was pretty much the frontier during the revolution:  there weren't too many people here.  In fact, we weren't even a colony, just a part of Virginia.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Shoot, everything this way was part of Virginia at one time.

Being from Pennsylvania originally, I lived close to some interesting historic sites (no, not Philadelphia).  But lots of cool battle sites from the French-Indian War, like George Washington's first battle site (he lost!) called Fort Necessity (it was necessary to build a fort).  He was with the English army then, fighting the French.

Isn't history cool?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

lfish

Well for the moment history isn't that cool. Within an hour I have my oral exam and I am so nervous, damn, I hate this. But maybe I can impress him with some historical facts you mentionned, like the necessity battle of george washington. But within two hours history is the coolness itself. It's so interesting.  
lfish

lfish

Hey, my exam went fine. Had a nice talk with the man, but the battle of lexington wasn't needed mentioning.  But thx for the explanation anyway. Just to let you know.  

Finally vacation awaits me.  Sun, sand, fresh beer and lot's of fun.  And after the fun, the misery, find a job. But we'll see.  
lfish

plank10

I lived in Louisville for 22 years and feel John didn't do justice to how damn hot it is there. The humidity is unrivaled except maybe for New Orleans. I live in DC now and while this area is legendary for its humidity it doesn't come anywhere near how miserable it is in the ville. The arts community in Louisville is indeed great and you really can't believe how low the cost of living is.

Norman

Industrial downtown, a few glassy buildings.  Midwestern suburbs built in the 1920's in the immediate suburbs, an artistic community or two up on the "hill"... and the rest looks like a replica of every planned community between Reston, VA and Orlando, FL.  In particular... the far East End of the County.

Hot as hell in the summer, grey-wet-cold in the winter... and SPECTACULAR in May/June & OctoberNovember.

Probably just the coolest place on Earth.

EC

QuoteProbably just the coolest place on Earth.

Ummm, did something fun just happen to you?  :)

MMJ_fanatic

Isn't history cool?

absotively--with the exception of a few years in Texas, I have live my entire life here in New england and have yet to experience all the historical sites and memorials
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

kymoose

Louisville is hot in the summer.....but, the bars stay open until 4am and all night at Derby time.

There is this amazing little stretch called Bardstown Road.  There is literally at least 4+ miles of great restaurants, bars, music, coffee, and people.  A true mixed-use area.

Amazing park system as well--designed by Frederick Law Olmstead.  Cherokee Park rivals no other.

Also, one hell of a college basketball and football team.  

EC

antoniostrohs

Have to agree with kymoose on the college basketball and football teams.The University of Louisville is top ten in both sports.