Cab Calloway

Started by thebigbang, Feb 10, 2005, 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

A few years ago I brought home "Are You Hep To The Jive" by Cab Calloway and we pretty much have never taken it out of our regular music rotation. MMJ, Hoodoo Gurus and The Proclaimers are about the only thing we listen to more frequently.

While listening to it again this week, I just thought I would bring him to the attention of my fellow MMJ fans, as you might want to give old Cab a listen. "Hep", even though the music is 60 to 70 years old, is alive with great musicians having big fun. I think you will like him.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

CC

Crank! should dig that album up again. hoodoo gurus. man.

not sure if I'm hep to the jive but will give it a try.

EC

thebigbang

Should a mentioned it, but many of the tunes on "Hep" are hilarious.  Lots of naughty thoughties expressed in an era when you weren't supposed to say such things.

Musically, if you are completely unfamiliar with Calloway's big band jive, the closest more modern comparison I can think of would be to say that some of the Stray Cats music borrows from Cab's style, but I like it a lot better than the Stray Cats music.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

MMJ_fanatic

I reealy dig Calloway.  Whenever I go to my Dad's douse I dig thru all his old vinyl...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

thebigbang

QuoteCrank! should dig that album up again. hoodoo gurus. man.

not sure if I'm hep to the jive but will give it a try.

Interesting you should mention Crank, as that is the only Hoodoo Gurus album I don't own, other than the one they released a few months ago after regrouping and I think it is only available in Australia.

Never heard Crank, but it is their lowest rated album on allmusic.com and if they got it right and you like Crank, you really should give Stoneage Romeos or Mars Needs Guitars a listen. They were tremendous live in an MMJ sort of way, giving it all they got while they were on stage.  Don't think they play outside of Australia anymore, though.

CC

Interesting you should mention Crank, as that is the only Hoodoo Gurus album I don't own, other than the one they released a few months ago after regrouping and I think it is only available in Australia.

Never heard Crank, but it is their lowest rated album on allmusic.com and if they got it right and you like Crank, you really should give Stoneage Romeos or Mars Needs Guitars a listen. They were tremendous live in an MMJ sort of way, giving it all they got while they were on stage.  Don't think they play outside of Australia anymore, though.

I don't pay too much attention to allmusic's rating system anymore. not after those 3 stars for ISM :P ;)
but i'll check out those other albums someday. I feel I can use some more hoodoo gurus.

I just visited their site and noticed they have a 2-disc dvd out with all the clips, vintage live and a docu. looks cool:
http://store2.soundworld.com.au/~sw/detail.htm